MikeyC

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt (currently). Mach-E (soon)
Country flag
Last week I got the itch to look at the Mach-E to replace my 2019 Bolt. I'm happy with the Bolt but coming from a long line of performance cars before the Bolt, I was interested in the Mach-E and it's better performance. I had a silver Premium with the long range battery lined up (from a canceled order) so I went to the dealer to look. Really liked the Mach-E in every respect except size: it's so much bigger than my Bolt and I like the subcompact or sort of "hot hatch" category so the Mach-E is likely too big for just me. But the real kicker is that I have to pay a little over $60k to get a Mach-E that is just marginally quicker than the Bolt acceleration-wise. Hence my question...

I've seen probably a dozen 0-60 tests on YouTube for the Mach-E and they don't seem to be getting anywhere near Ford's claimed acceleration. The RWD Select with standard battery seems to be getting in the high 6's. The extended battery RWD in the low 6's (about the same as the Bolt). The Premium with standard battery in the very high 5's. And the top of the line Premium with extended battery (the one I was looking at) anywhere between 5.5 and 5.8 seconds. Ford claimed 4.8 on that one and I've not been able to find a single video where it is achieving that: they seem to be between 3/4 and 1 second slower.

So my question is have any of you, by chance, tried any 0-60 times? I almost wonder if Ford put in a safe "tune" to get these on the road and they will upgrade them OTA eventually? Or... maybe most of the reviews I've seen that included 0-60 runs were on pre-production models and the ones sold to customers are actually fully "unbridled" and hence, faster than the reviews?

Inquiry minds want to know. :) I know the Mach-E is a better car than the Bolt as far as quality and performance in every regard other than (depending on trim) acceleration but we don't have a lot of twisties here and I'm not much of a canyon carver anyway. So I'm interested more in straight line performance.

Mike
Sponsored

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Honda Pilot,2012 Honda Civic,Premium std rwd
Country flag
I would say - do not buy it if you are looking for a smaller and faster car. In your case, Model 3 will fit you much better - cheaper than MME, smaller and quicker (especially if you add $2000 performance software upgrade).

EVmodeler

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD ER IB Job 1
Occupation
Engr Prof emeritus
Country flag

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
Car and driver got 5.1 seconds in a Mach E extended awd...that is with a roll out, and c&d typically gets really low 0-60 numbers. Fords 4.8 number (coincidentally the same as the Model Y LR) is a marketing ploy...no way it is going to go that fast.

Last edited:

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Edmunds test is probably the best you'll see since it's on their own track. They regularly can't duplicate acceleration times away from their test track. For example, the GT500 gets 3.7s 0-60 on their track but at Willow Springs, they couldn't get it to hook up properly.

OP
OP

MikeyC

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks. 5.2 is fast enough for me: a second quicker than the Bolt. And honestly, the Mach-E is so much nicer inside that I'd take 5.2 with all the niceness and tech of the Mach-E. The Bolt is a bit squirrely at 75 MPH on the highway: the short wheelbase makes it follow detents in the road so the Mach-E would be much better there. The Model 3 is on my radar but there are some things I don't want to lose like Android Auto, satellite radio, and the 360 parking cam. I just like Ford's tech better in that regard. Due to not needing the bigger vehicle, I might have to wait for the next/smaller Ford EV. Sad for me because the Mach-E is everything I want except for being too big for my needs/wants.

Mike

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
A lot of people have been going out and timing their cars by just flooring it from a standing stop, and complaining. The 0-60 times that we see in the car mags are done under carefully controlled conditions. C&D and R&T explain how they do their tests - launch control, rollout, temperature, preconditioning, tires, etc., all affect the times.
The key is that they test all of the cars the same way. You may not get as fast a time as the magazine, but you wouldn't with any of the other cars, either. How sure are you about the 0-60 time of your Bolt? I'll bet that is proportionally slower than the times you're seeing for the Mach E.
Give this a read:
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a30905608/how-0-to-60-tests-work/

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
I think the confusion here is that Ford has quoted the 0-60 time with a rollout and in a best case scenario. Most automakers quote 0-60 times that are very conservative and the magazines routinely beat those numbers with the roll out and ideal conditions. So looks like Motor Trend actually got 4.8 sec in the Mach E, but they got 4.1 sec in the Model Y LR ( which is also manufacturer quoted at 4.8 sec). The Chevy bolt was tested by MT at 6.3 sec, but Chevy quoted 6.5 sec.

To the OP. If you are looking to get any meaningful improvement in straight line acceleration over your Bolt, you probably need to go with the extended range AWD (or GT). There will be other improvements such as more room, a nicer interior, better handling/braking etc.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
There's been at least one report by a forum member with an early delivery FE of the 0 to 60 in the high 4's. So that's right on target. But yeah, you're never going to achieve the track 1-foot rollout standards except by accident.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I can confirm that when I floor my Grabber Blue (the fastest color) AWD Extended Range from a dead stop, my 0-60 time feels like around 4 seconds. Give or take a second or two. I havenā€™t tried to actually measure this, because how fast it feels matters a lot more to me than a number on a display.

Granted, I am a bit of an anomaly in that I am not a professional drag racer, so take this for what itā€™s worth.

OP
OP

MikeyC

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How sure are you about the 0-60 time of your Bolt? I'll bet that is proportionally slower than the times you're seeing for the Mach E.
Give this a read:
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a30905608/how-0-to-60-tests-work/
I've tested my own Bolt with my Passport G-Timer which I don't believe uses a rollout. I got 6.5s on all 5 runs I tested. Battery was at 80%. The car mags all seem to get 6.1 to 6.3 but my guess is that's with rollout and 100% battery. From what I've seen, the Bolt is probably neck and neck with the Mach-E Select with the standard battery. The Select with the extended battery is probably just a hair quicker but probably not noticeable in "feel".

Mike

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Iā€™ve gone an actual 5.6 without rollout on a dirty road and cold tires. Clean up the road, warm the tires, and give me rollout, I think Iā€™d see around 5.2. But, like the response above, I am not a professional drag racer either, so I think 5.6 is fine for an old guy with a beer gut who really just wanted an AWD car with enough range in the winter time.

OP
OP

MikeyC

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
True. In reality, the 0-60 times on even the lowest trim are enough to be fun! I'm so impressed with the gadgets and customization ability on the Mach-E. They really did it right... all the way down to letting you adjust the "Tolerance" of the lane keeping! Other manufacturers should take note!

Mike
Sponsored