Will this improve the ride? More cushion for the...

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
@Nav - I was literally contemplating the effect that this might have on my harsh, jarring, bouncy ride. I don't know that this would help address the bounce really, but I was thinking going down to a smaller wheel size might help to address the awful harsh feel I get when hitting potholes and things like that. Has that been your experience? Also, are you willing to share what this cost you to do (new wheels, new tires, labor?)?
Sponsored

Reactions: Nav
OP
OP
Nav

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag
@Nav - I was literally contemplating the effect that this might have on my harsh, jarring, bouncy ride. I don't know that this would help address the bounce really, but I was thinking going down to a smaller wheel size might help to address the awful harsh feel I get when hitting potholes and things like that. Has that been your experience? Also, are you willing to share what this cost you to do (new wheels, new tires, labor?)?
Hey there, I just remembered I never replied to this. Sorry about that. Was reminded today, because interesting enough I had to put my stock wheels back on temporarily and am REALLY missing my aftermarket 18's. This has helped me realize that YES, the ride was improved with more cushion/sidewall. Still was a bouncy ride on certain roads (suspension is the limiting factor), but the impact from bumps was much improved! This contributed to overall smoothness and experience.

Now I will say, much of the improvement was probably the tire itself (Pirelli). Going down to 18x7.5 wheel & 235 tires helped I'm sure, but the rubber itself makes such a difference. Overall I like this "beefier" tire look on the car, and the black wheels go perfectly. Would do it again if I had to, maybe a wheel with thicker/more spokes to hide the rotor. Tempted to paint my calipers now....

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Hey there, I just remembered I never replied to this. Sorry about that. Was reminded today, because interesting enough I had to put my stock wheels back on temporarily and am REALLY missing my aftermarket 18's. This has helped me realize that YES, the ride was improved with more cushion/sidewall. Still was a bouncy ride on certain roads (suspension is the limiting factor), but the impact from bumps was much improved! This contributed to overall smoothness and experience.

Now I will say, much of the improvement was probably the tire itself (Pirelli). Going down to 18x7.5 wheel & 235 tires helped I'm sure, but the rubber itself makes such a difference. Overall I like this "beefier" tire look on the car, and the black wheels go perfectly. Would do it again if I had to, maybe a wheel with thicker/more spokes to hide the rotor. Tempted to paint my calipers now....
Thanks, that makes sense. I've also always been a Pirelli fan and would love to explore this option a bit. I will have to do some research!

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

You mentioned going down to 18” made the ride quieter. I’m looking for soften the tire noise on highways (Mach-E is quiet on city streets under 55mph though). Maybe just a different tire like Pirellis would help?

OP
OP
Nav

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag
You mentioned going down to 18” made the ride quieter. I’m looking for soften the tire noise on highways (Mach-E is quiet on city streets under 55mph though). Maybe just a different tire like Pirellis would help?
Oh absolutely it would help! Going down to 18" helped soften the impact/bumps a bit, but even just changing tires on the 19" wheels would significantly help with reducing the road noise if that was your main objective. In my experience the difference was night and day. The quiet ride was noticeable right away. That was actually a big factor in why I chose these particular tires. Being on sale/closeout was a bonus!

There is now a newer version of this Pirelli tire available on Tirerack. I remember their description of it mentions noise comfort being a focus in the design. They hadn't done their official "testing" of it yet though, just a projected customer rating. Scorpion A/S+ 3 I think it was? The Michelin Cross Climate 2 is equally impressive according to the ratings. Folks here have mentioned liking it as well. Based on the tread pattern you wouldn't think they'd be particularly on the quiet side, but apparently they do well in that regard. I probably would have gone with those if I was getting them from Costco vs Tirerack.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nav

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Also, are you willing to share what this cost you to do (new wheels, new tires, labor?)
Wheel & Tire package from Tirerack was about $1500 before tax. Breakdown is attached below. I also selected the option for a local mobile installer to receive delivery and come swap my wheels since it was only going to be $50 for this. Tires were already mounted/balanced by Tirerack and included in the price with the wheel combo. Then they use ASAP Tire, which is their own company, to connect you with and schedule a time for the mobile installer to come out to you. Worked out well and the mobile installer had good reviews. Showed him the arrows on the underside for jack points, then he used a rubber puck on the jack to take care and carefully lift.

Screenshot_20211201-052234~2.png
Sponsored