Will we ever get sentry mode equivalent? Does anyone have a good reason why not?

JoelOclock

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Hardware already exists. Once software is written @Ford Motor Company could charge subscription to enable just like Blue Cruise.

If they're interested in adding that revenue stream, why not this one? Arguable that it could apply to way more people since lots live away from the motorways that are added thus far to blue cruise.

And yes, dashcam can do same thing but for good quality one you're looking at what $350+? and having to hardwire it to get parked alerts. Not to mention maybe harder for people who lease?? Either way, big upfront cost and effort that I'm sure many would relish removing with a ...$8 per month sub?
Sponsored

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Hardware already exists. Once software is written @Ford Motor Company could charge subscription to enable just like Blue Cruise.

If they're interested in adding that revenue stream, why not this one? Arguable that it could apply to way more people since lots live away from the motorways that are added thus far to blue cruise.

And yes, dashcam can do same thing but for good quality one you're looking at what $350+? and having to hardwire it to get parked alerts. Not to mention maybe harder for people who lease?? Either way, big upfront cost and effort that I'm sure many would relish removing with a ...$8 per month sub?
All Ford has said on this subject so far is that they will look into it. I wouldn't expect it to come any time soon, if at all.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I don't see them charging a subscription for one feature like that. Maybe down the road they could include that in the connected services plan that we supposedly will have to pay for someday. But a stand alone product would not be something I'd consider.

bp99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME eAWD, 21 MME CA Route 1 (sold)
Country flag
I fail to see the point of dash cams or sentry mode. Seems like nothing more than a toy to me. Definitely not something I'd ever consider paying for.

OP
OP

JoelOclock

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I fail to see the point of dash cams or sentry mode. Seems like nothing more than a toy to me. Definitely not something I'd ever consider paying for.
Obviously entitled to your opinions/preferences not to pay for subscription. I'm sure plenty of people also wouldn't pay for it. My point was less around how they charge or how much and more that it's a feature people pay for today (see dashcam sales) so I'm not asking for software development that would be nothing more than good publicity for Ford - it can actually pay for itself.

In terms of toy comment, it sounds like spoken by a true garage owner/good neighborhood beneficiary :) Peace of mind that you can have evidence for insurance company/police should your car be bumped/broken into. Ring built a whole business on providing that peace of mind, not a whole lot different.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
A subscription price could also be justified if it saved the video to the cloud and could be viewed remotely.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
The hardware is capable, but is there memory space to save the video stream to?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
My wife would pay for it. That was really the only reason she considered a Tesla. Then again, she would install 4 or 5 locks on the front door if I would let her. Her favorite place in the hardware store is the lock section. I can hear the angels singing in her head when she goes down that aisle.

bp99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME eAWD, 21 MME CA Route 1 (sold)
Country flag
In terms of toy comment, it sounds like spoken by a true garage owner/good neighborhood beneficiary :) Peace of mind that you can have evidence for insurance company/police should your car be bumped/broken into. Ring built a whole business on providing that peace of mind, not a whole lot different.
If someone bumped in to my car or broke in to it, I'd have evidence in the form of damage to the car. A picture of whomever did it is not going to make any difference at all to the insurance company or the police.

But, if the car could give a good jolt of electricity to whomever opens their car door in to mine or runs a shopping cart in to it, I'd be all for that.

OP
OP

JoelOclock

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The hardware is capable, but is there memory space to save the video stream to?
No HD space readily available. Would have to be external drive in the covered cubby with usb power or cloud based

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Would it be worth Ford's effort and would customers be happy overall if it turns out that this "sentry" view can only capture items within a few feet of the car's perimeter and only items up to 4' tall, excluding straight out views to the vehicle's sides but including a fisheye distorted view through the front windshield?

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I fail to see the point of dash cams or sentry mode. Seems like nothing more than a toy to me.
Do they have YouTube in Oregon? ? Watch some dashcam videos and you'll see just how many people claim that the party with the cam was in the wrong and the cam clearly saved them. Or sentry mode videos because there's a lot of people who deface EVs.

One time I was on Kingsbury Grade in South Lake Tahoe and we were going up the grade. Idiots decided to ignore the chain / 4x4 requirement and stopped up hill in the middle of the road to put on chains. Caused a traffic jam and everyone came to a stop up hill in the snow. If you know anything about snow that = bad. Ice forms under the tires and almost everyone ended up in a pile at the bottom of the hill. Luckily I got out. Explain that to your insurance. I had it all on cam.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Would it be worth Ford's effort and would customers be happy overall if it turns out that this "sentry" view can only capture items within a few feet of the car's perimeter and only items up to 4' tall, excluding straight out views to the vehicle's sides but including a fisheye distorted view through the front windshield?
I agree that not many people are thinking about this aspect. Tesla, since we are using their language via "Sentry", has cameras placed on the car that we have all seen in strange places like the funny fender bump and the B pillar. Personally, I think they are ugly. The MME doesn't have these. All we would get is a front and rear camera and *maybe* if the mirrors are folded? Would people want a Sentry equivalent if it didn't cover the side of the car? Based on the Tesla footage I've seen 99% of vandalism is on the side of the cars.

I would still embrace it so I could remove my aftermarket cam, but I'm curious how people would feel about having an inferior version of Sentry.

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
One consideration is battery life. A parked mach e will maintain its battery for weeks. A Tesla running sentry mode will not..

Not inherently a good or a bad thing. Just a consideration

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I remember the Shark Tank guys saying something like that to the Ring door bell people.

I also thought the same thing about smart phones.

But now I play with my phone toy all day. Still haven’t gotten the door bell, but I can see why people like them.
Sponsored