Will you be able to swap to high profile tires?

Mister Mitch

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Flex Limited
Occupation
Retired Navy
Country flag
I am currently driving a 2017 Ford Flex.

I had to replace my 20 inch, low profile, performance tires. I also have a set of 17 steelies with winter tires mounted on them. So twice a year I would swap out the tires.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Will you be able to swap to high profile tires? 1580405262972

The car had about 30,000 kilometers, so about 15,000 kilometers on the 20 inch All Season tires. Talk about piss poor tread life...

I have swapped out both sets of tires for 17 inch All Weather tires. So no more swapping tires twice a year.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Will you be able to swap to high profile tires? 1580405847734

I have found that the new tires are great in the snow and ice. They do sport the tri-peak winter tire symbol, but also have a compound that lets you drive them in the summer, just like an All Season radial tire. The warranty on these Firestone tires are for 90,000 kilometer tread life. Even if I have to replace them in four to five years, it will be better than the 20 inch tires that came with the car.

I can hear some of you groaning, but these new tires are not high performance tires. Yes, I will agree with you. But I have never thought of the Flex as a high performance car.

So.. enter the Mach-E. Will I drive it like a high performance car, or will I drive it like the older man that I am becoming?

When I am on the highway, I don't set the cruise control much above the speed limit. BEVs are all get up and go from the start line, but they do prefer a moderate pace for range on the highway. Which will fit the bill for me. Speed limit for our 100 series highways in Nova Scotia is 110 Kph. I normally set the cruise to 115 to 120 kph.

Low profile tires LOVE well maintained roads. This really isn't case where I live on Cape Breton island. I have found that my new high profile tires are doing a better job at dampening the rough roads.

So, having said all that, I know the Mach-E comes with low profile tires. I am waiting to see the sales person's eyes bulge out of their head when I ask them to swap out the tires. The fact that there are Mustang logos on the center doesn't bother me in the least. Honestly, if they could just remove the ponies off the car would be just as happy. I want the SUV, not the Mustang. I've got a feeling the word "Mustang" is going to drive up my insurance rates.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
On my Honda Clarity PHEV, I swapped the MIchelin energy tires for all season tires (Continental Extreme Contact DWS). My range did go down about 10% or so, but I feel safer in wet or snowy roads. I did drive it in several inches of fresh snow with good results. The profile is the same as I did not change wheels. I still have the original tires to put back on when I sell/trade it.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
So, having said all that, I know the Mach-E comes with low profile tires. I am waiting to see the sales person's eyes bulge out of their head when I ask them to swap out the tires.
The Mach-e at the Portland Auto show had 225/60-18 tires on it. (A Route-1 model.) So not really low profile. Also, don't put steel wheels on your Mach-e. You're going to kill your range due to increased rotational inertia. Get Alloy wheels for your winter tires.

OP
OP
Mister Mitch

Mister Mitch

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Flex Limited
Occupation
Retired Navy
Country flag
Oh for sure, I wouldn't put "steelies" on the Mach-E.

The second picture of my Flex, those are alloy wheels. So far, the car is doing quite well this Winter. Now, to see how they wear this upcoming Summer.
Sponsored