Window tinting percentage % for warm climate?

Jahigbee1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Any thoughts on value in warm climates for tinting?
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I am in Phoenix. Thinking of 33% for front door glass. I think the rear doors and hatch might be okay as is.....will check.
I also usually add a strip across the top of the windshield in limo tint. Makes a HUGE difference here in AZ.

That being said.....the Premiums are supposed to have some special UV barrier in the front door glass and windshield. I might wait until summer comes to see if that is enough. I doubt it will be though.....the sun out here is brutal. :(

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Darkness value means close to nothing for tint. A dark cheap tint would let in more heat than a lighter more premium tint.

What your interested in is total solar rejection and Infrared rejection. UV doesn't really matter as far as heat, that's more for protection from fading, skin cancer, etc; I think the car already has some UV protection and the pano roof has infrared protection.

From 3M Crystalline's website:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Window tinting percentage % for warm climate? 1612120941495

On my C-max, I have CR70 on the front windshield, and CR40 on the sides and back. It allows 40% of visible light, and rejects 60% of the solar energy. Compared to some random tint I found on Amazon that allows 20% of light but only 50% solar heat rejection. (If you can believe their numbers in the first place.) Another example is 3M FX-ST, in that line, they have one that allows 5% visible light but yet only rejects 46% of the solar energy.

Bottom line, if your interested in heat rejection, quality > darkness. If your interested in just looks, then it doesn't matter as much.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Darkness value means close to nothing for tint. A dark cheap tint would let in more heat than a lighter more premium tint.

What your interested in is total solar rejection and Infrared rejection. UV doesn't really matter as far as heat, that's more for protection from fading, skin cancer, etc; I think the car already has some UV protection and the pano roof has infrared protection.

On my C-max, I have CR70 on the front windshield, and CR40 on the sides and back. It allows 40% of visible light, and rejects 60% of the solar energy. Compared to some random tint I found on Amazon that allows 20% of light but only 50% solar heat rejection. (If you can believe their numbers in the first place.) Another example is 3M FX-ST, in that line, they have one that allows 5% visible light but yet only rejects 46% of the solar energy.

Bottom line, if your interested in heat rejection, quality > darkness. If your interested in just looks, then it doesn't matter as much.
Great write up and coincidentally I was just looking at a local business with that same table and information. Plotting out tint for the front side windows on the MME atm.

Thanks. :)

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag

This

Evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
Hello all. Adding to this thread, Chapman Ford in Scottsdale added tint to my Mach-E prior to getting it. Probably overpaid thanks to that dealer markup but it was $499. Included 35% for the front windows and darkened the back to 20%. Not sure if the solar rejection of the tint the use as Zhackwyatt mentions above. As a bonus they also included the clear protection strips down the driver and passenger door edges.

update: called the dealership and they used OneArmor ceramic tint.

just a note that states have their own laws on how dark tint can be. Here in Arizona we are pretty lucky that it can go down to 33% on front driver and passenger windows.

Last edited:

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
Hello all. Adding to this thread, Chapman Ford in Scottsdale added tint to my Mach-E prior to getting it. Probably overpaid thanks to that dealer markup but it was $499. Included 35% for the front windows and darkened the back to 20%. Not sure if the solar rejection of the tint the use as Zhackwyatt mentions above. As a bonus they also included the clear protection strips down the driver and passenger door edges.

just a note that states have their own laws on how dark tint can be. Here in Arizona we are pretty lucky that it can go down to 33% on front driver and passenger windows.
Just came here to to gripe about Utah and their enforcement of tint laws. I live in Colorado and got my windows tinted 10 years ago. I forget how dark they are, but they are even outside the Colorado limit. It's not really, really dark, but pretty dark. I've never had a cop say anything in Colorado. The one time I drove through Utah on a trip to Vegas and I got pulled over. I tried to say it was legal in Colorado (even though I knew it wasn't). The cop interrupts me to tell me they aren't legal in Colorado and even if they were, I'm driving through Utah (duh). And then he tells me to roll down my rear windows halfway. He has a portable device to measure. :mad:

Rant over...

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

WTH. My same dealer. Did they ask you, or modify your car w/o permission?

Did they offer to remove it if you didn't want it?

Evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
WTH. My same dealer. Did they ask you, or modify your car w/o permission?

Did they offer to remove it if you didn't want it?
They reached out ahead and asked if I wanted any tint or nitrogen. I told them tint.... just rather get it done before I pick it up and not deal with it later.

They also added the window etching for theft. They didn’t ask about that and tried to charge me. Said Ford makes them do it. When the paper came up with the finance person with all the detail it said in bold print “Not required for sale” or something to that effect. Told them I didn’t want it and was a bit miffed they are trying to get me to pay for it. She left the room to ask her manager and came back and said they can remove it.

One other thing: tried to upsell the warranty. I said no and she said I guess you are fine with the 3-year, 36,000 miles then? By that point I just wanted to leave (had been there waiting about 2 hours at that point) so said yes and didn’t correct her.

At the end of the day it’s still buying a car from a traditional dealership, so be aware of all their tricks and games. (This drama was all with the finance person, not Kelly. She didn’t try any games, but was the one who emailed ahead and asked if I wanted tint or nitrogen)

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Question on window tints... ceramic xpel tints ... do the door panels need to be removed? Any thoughts? Nog sure I want new car to me messed up if they don’t put the door panels back properly

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
They reached out ahead and asked if I wanted any tint or nitrogen. I told them tint.... just rather get it done before I pick it up and not deal with it later.

... Said Ford makes them do it. ... ... with all the detail it said in bold print “Not required for sale"

One other thing: tried to upsell the warranty. ...
Dang. Thanks for the heads up. I just emailed her to ask for nothing added on (no tint, plate bracket, badges, stickers, door guards, etc).

I might be interested in some of that stuff, and I agree with you it's a lot more convenient having it done before picking up the car, but I also want to leave all my options open. I'll most likely wait until summer before deciding whether to tint (and precisely which tint).

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Question on window tints... ceramic xpel tints ... do the door panels need to be removed? Any thoughts? Nog sure I want new car to me messed up if they don’t put the door panels back properly
From my understanding, no, nothing would be removed. Here's a video that popped up recently for me where they install tint on a Model 3:

Guess it could be different on the Mach-E since the windows aren't frameless? I've never had tint applied, but considering it when I get PPF done.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

They also added the window etching for theft. They didn’t ask about that and tried to charge me. Said Ford makes them do it. When the paper came up with the finance person with all the detail it said in bold print “Not required for sale” or something to that effect. Told them I didn’t want it and was a bit miffed they are trying to get me to pay for it. She left the room to ask her manager and came back and said they can remove it.

One other thing: tried to upsell the warranty. I said no and she said I guess you are fine with the 3-year, 36,000 miles then? By that point I just wanted to leave (had been there waiting about 2 hours at that point) so said yes and didn’t correct her.

At the end of the day it’s still buying a car from a traditional dealership, so be aware of all their tricks and games. (This drama was all with the finance person, not Kelly. She didn’t try any games, but was the one who emailed ahead and asked if I wanted tint or nitrogen)
Ok, thanks. I misunderstood, I thought they put it on there w/o asking you.

Technically the bumper to bumper warranty is 3-year/36,000 miles. The power train is different, like most ICE cars (8-years / 100,000). If the headlight knob falls off after 3 years, you'd have to pay for the repair w/o an extended warranty.

When I bought my C-Max several years ago the finance people were very good. Looks like things have changed some unfortunately.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm not aware of door panels ever being removed for a tint job.
Sponsored