Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Less than a month with my new car and of course the windshield gets chipped by an errant pebble. I have a small bullseye hole, less than the size of a dime, near the middle of the windshield. Can I fix this myself using a DIY kit or should I take it to a professional?
Sponsored

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Less than a month with my new car and of course the windshield gets chipped by an errant pebble. I have a small bullseye hole, less than the size of a dime, near the middle of the windshield. Can I fix this myself using a DIY kit or should I take it to a professional?
new car I get fixed right. old car I would do it cheaper way and live with it.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
Your insurance may pay that entire cost of chip repair, have you asked them about it?

MachEUser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
I have done Safelite through insurance. It is covered for free. I suspect they have some deeply discounted rate negotiated.

While it doesn't look better cosmetically, it strengthens the glass and reduces the possibility of needing a full windshield replacement. I suspect that is why insurance covers it. Otherwise when the crack expands, people may claim vandalism and seek full windshield replacement under insurance.

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I think you should get it fixed the right way with it being a new vehicle and with the specialty windshield. Of course you could always go to Safelite and see what they have to say about it. It shouldn’t cost you anything to repair under your insurance.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I think you should get it fixed the right way with it being a new vehicle and with the specialty windshield. Of course you could always go to Safelite and see what they have to say about it. It shouldn’t cost you anything to repair under your insurance.
?
Streamable Video
?

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
I think @highland58 has a great suggestion. Our insurance has always covered 100% of spot windshield repairs. May not work -- ours have but hard to predict -- but it is definitely worth a shot. Normally can't see the repairs unless you're looking for it and the light is at the right angle.
Sponsored