McKenna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 premium AWD SR space white
Occupation
RV Sales
Country flag
I‘ve had my car for a little over 2 months and driven almost 4000 miles. I drive mostly all highway. I noticed the other day I had a tiny rock chip on the windshield. I bought a Rain-x kit from Amazon that I had good luck with in the past to fill it just in case it got worse. I filled it today and realized I had about 20 little rock chips in my windshield!
Has anyone else noticed rock chips in their windshield? Is there anything I can do to prevent these? Or am I just going to have to check it every month or so and fill them?
I’m totally freaked out that I’m going to have to get a new windshield and then I’ll have to file it under insurance since it’s so expensive. Then my rates will go up even though it doesn’t “cost” anything to file it in FL.
Sponsored

snowy_91

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Ice Blue GT Performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Other than set the adaptive cruise to follow no closer than 4 bars, not much.

TonyaE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Ford Flex. 2022 MME premium RWD ER o 1/26/22
Occupation
RN
Country flag
I‘ve had my car for a little over 2 months and driven almost 4000 miles. I drive mostly all highway. I noticed the other day I had a tiny rock chip on the windshield. I bought a Rain-x kit from Amazon that I had good luck with in the past to fill it just in case it got worse. I filled it today and realized I had about 20 little rock chips in my windshield!
Has anyone else noticed rock chips in their windshield? Is there anything I can do to prevent these? Or am I just going to have to check it every month or so and fill them?
I’m totally freaked out that I’m going to have to get a new windshield and then I’ll have to file it under insurance since it’s so expensive. Then my rates will go up even though it doesn’t “cost” anything to file it in FL.
Oh no!! I’m sorry to hear that. Maybe dealership should take a look? Is that normal?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I’ve already had the windshield replaced from a large rock chip/crack.

I’ve never had a windshield crack. I wonder if all the stuff that makes it energy efficient and quiet makes it more prone to breaking.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Insurance companies fill chips for free.

Glass replacement generally doesn't impact rates.

0CO2

First Name
0CO2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE
Occupation
Academic
Country flag
My windshield on my MME FE (delivered Jan '21) looked like it had been sandpapered within the first 400 miles of driving and it has continued to collect small dings and chips - as has the paint forward of the A pillar ever since. I'm getting the paint corrected at the dealer right now along with repairs to my faulty electronic frunk release and software updates to enable Bluecruise... I think it is the aerodynamics of the low drag design that makes the slipstream hug the surface of the car including the windshield so every grain of grit that would be blown clear of a normal car instead scrapes along the paint and glass.

I'll probably have XPEL installed to protect the paint after the repairs are done. Windshield film isn't recommended here in the wet side of Oregon - it doesn't last like in drier climates.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
My guess is there is only 1 thing that could go wrong with it: it wouldn’t open.

Not sure how many other features your frunk release does, but mine only has the one: “releases frunk.”
It must be that you have the GTPE/Job 2. Those of us with Job 1 cars are still waiting for an OTA to give us an electronic frunk release.

DrJay32

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.luminescentphoto.com
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Select AWD
Occupation
Photographer
Country flag
Sorry to hear about this... living here in Colorado, the rock chip problem is insane. I've had my Escape's windshield replaced 3 times since 2014. USAA once told me that the average lifespan of a windshield in CO is 18 months!

Chips/pits are annoying but don't require repair.
Starbursts/impact cracks can be repaired and will last a long time provided they're not huge or in your direct line of vision.
Cracks longer than a dollar bill require a windshield replacement.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
I can't find the info now, but I have seen some studies that suggest that acoustic glass is actually a bit more fragile compared to the more traditional counterparts.