Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
I came across this on insideevs.com. Thought it might be helpful to those new Mach E or New EV owners. If your new to EV ownership your car is not broken!! The cold temps negatively impact your battery. This is true across all makes and models. See below. It would have been better if there were more actual and less "estimated" range loss.
ps. If someone already posted my apologies.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Winter And Cold Weather EV Range Loss Comparison (Including Mach-E) 1671037431872
Sponsored

ebeponyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Note that Recurrent gets their data from the GOM, and update 3.6.2 just added 50+ miles to my winter GOM. That's not to say I'm able to drive 50+ miles more than previous, just that GOM is better representing my actual range now. Any data based on GOM, especially pre-3.6.2, is dubious at best.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
We need to have a sticky post like this in BOLD about winter range loss for the newcomers to see who flock to the forum for the first time ever at this time of year because they think their car is broken, or battery is severely degraded. Of course it's just the nature of EV tech in colder weather and it's all perfectly normal and expected.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Real data -

Ford Mustang Mach-E Winter And Cold Weather EV Range Loss Comparison (Including Mach-E) EV range

SashaLondon

First Name
Sasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD SR
Country flag
I am a bit surprised it has dropped so much, I expected it to drop but now it's saying that 77% gives 88 miles. That isn't good. I am not super mad, it is -5C today and has been below-freezing for the last week.

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
Mine is showing 187 at 90% but looking at the battery usage it's really around 230 miles at 100% which should be 207 miles at 90%. Still a lot more impactful than I expected

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD + Ext Range
Country flag
It's really bad for me, and from what I can tell it's a combination of 3 separate things:

1. Cold weather generally reduces range: I can't control this unless I move

2. Driving the vehicle cold without preconditioning will reduce range: I can't do anything about this because I can't install a home charger at my condo yet

3. Driving short trips/distances will never allow the battery to "warm" up, which will reduce range: most of my driving is within local cities - 10-15 mins, going max 5 miles away. By the time the battery is "warm", I've already parked and turned it off.

My AWD ER is currently showing an implied range of 158 miles on the GOM (40% less than the normal weather range of 270). Luckily I can live with this as I don't typically drive far, but it's definitely not for everyone.

GloRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
I would like to see a long distance 70mph cold weather test to see how much the range is reduced in the winter on longer trips, vs short back and forth winter trips where the battery doesn’t have time to “get warmed up”.
I have one on order, but my commute is already stretching the bounds of the range, this amount of reduction could prohibit me from buying a Mach E as I would have to charge on my way to work and my way home (190 miles one way-I just don’t have to commute that often)

I ordered the extended range, so it looks like I would be ok just charging one way

flapjake314

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
i see a lot of posts above commenting on why the report posted by OP is flawed, but i don't understand why there is a deep fascination with comparing range loss

the reason for the range loss is primarily due to battery chemistry and most vehicles being compared use the same chemistry. there is minimal reason to believe range loss differs significantly

i know we all love to discuss heat pump but there are pros and cons to the heat pump and it is not the biggest issue at the end of the day. said another way, is the whole point of all this work just to point out cars that do and do not have a heat pump??

it feels like a table that shows battery chemistry and heatpump Y/N would be more useful....

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would like to see a long distance 70mph cold weather test to see how much the range is reduced in the winter on longer trips, vs short back and forth winter trips where the battery doesn’t have time to “get warmed up”.
I have one on order, but my commute is already stretching the bounds of the range, this amount of reduction could prohibit me from buying a Mach E as I would have to charge on my way to work and my way home (190 miles one way-I just don’t have to commute that often)

I ordered the extended range, so it looks like I would be ok just charging one way
It seems like your commute will be right at the limit for winter driving. So I would certainly charge to 100% before leaving and have a game plan to know where chargers are near your destination. At least for the initial commute. My guess is your choice of cabin climate will impact whether you can go the distance or not in cold weather.

Glen Boise

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The insideevs and Consumer Reports have similar results. Around 30% reduction. It just shows that electrons do not flow as easily as gasoline in the cold in current batteries. So we should follow Ford's advice: plug in the car over night and program it to pre-warm the battery for longer trips, if we can.
Sponsored