Winter tires and best drive mode for snow?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium AWD Externded Range
Country flag
You mean stock MME Premium tires?
I drove the Mach E we bought on the same roads with the a.s. tires and was very impressed with traction and drive ability. Every bit as good as the Bronco we traded in.
You mean stock MME Performance tires? Wow that's impressive.
Sponsored

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Yeah, someone mentioned it here, but the screen and the manual both specify Whisper for inclement driving (snow or rain). Whisper gives a little more play in the steering to reduce overcorrection and it sets the traction control to its most aggressive/cautious values (opposite of Unbridled which allows a little slippage for fun).

kpr711

First Name
Car41
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GTPE Shadow Black
Occupation
Sheep Dog
Country flag
Hereā€™s my experience. While waiting for parts for my recently purchased MME the dealership let me take home a MME GT Performance. i was installing my charger and wanted to make sure it was working. I only live 3 miles from the dealership. Last week we got our 1st snowfall of the season, unfortunately a foot of it. when I picked up the GT temperature was -18 c or 0 F. The snow on our side streets was packed down, rutted and icy. The GT was absolutely useless. At 5mph it would hit a rut and you had an uncontrollable vehicle. Just scary. I drove the Mach E we bought on the same roads with the a.s. tires and was very impressed with traction and drive ability. Every bit as good as the Bronco we traded in. I know conditions were extreme but if I had the GT Performance with the summer treads I wouldnā€™t drive it anywhere on icy or snow covered obviously you donā€™t knowroads, and I mean anywhere!

kpr711

First Name
Car41
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GTPE Shadow Black
Occupation
Sheep Dog
Country flag
Hence the term, summer tires. Not designed or intended for winter, warranty specifically states that
Gt with all seasons will be more than adequate. I have cross climate2

Electrifiedsince2013

First Name
Kristin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang MachE, 2020 Mustang Convertible
Occupation
health care
Country flag
Before it snowed I pretty much used unbridled mode and 1-pedal driving exclusively, and I was super happy with how the car handled. We got our first snow of the season with ice on the exit ramp. I nearly slid into the car in front of me (I realize this is not the carā€™s fault). I was feeling like the mode and the 1-pedal driving didnā€™t help the situation. Itā€™s only been about 48 hours since the incident, but I did try both engage and whisper modes without 1 pedal driving. I think I will stay away from unbridled in the snow/ice.

what has everyoneā€™s experience been in winter weather? With 1-pedal driving also with the other driving modes?

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Before it snowed I pretty much used unbridled mode and 1-pedal driving exclusively, and I was super happy with how the car handled. We got our first snow of the season with ice on the exit ramp. I nearly slid into the car in front of me (I realize this is not the carā€™s fault). I was feeling like the mode and the 1-pedal driving didnā€™t help the situation. Itā€™s only been about 48 hours since the incident, but I did try both engage and whisper modes without 1 pedal driving. I think I will stay away from unbridled in the snow/ice.

what has everyoneā€™s experience been in winter weather? With 1-pedal driving also with the other driving modes?
This is my 2nd winter now, and Whisper + 1pd is the way to go, for me. Most gentle transitions, and just the right amount of regen for my winter tires.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Your mileage may vary, I've not seen a really bad drop off in temps as low as zero degrees f. Traction is down some but it's not as bad people make it out to be.
You need to go read both the manual and Pirelli's website. It is dangerous.

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
I went with my dealerā€™s ā€œWinter Performance Packageā€ for my new Premium AWD - General Tire Altimax + stock 18ā€ Select wheels. Being a staunch Michelin X-Ice / Conti guy I was not super happy with the tire choice, but it was easy and they had good reviews. Then I found out General Tire is Continental, and the Altimax is made in Germany. :)

A bit of snow today, performed well. Happy with them, and the Select wheels make for a pretty good looking set of snow tires. Will also be switching to Whisper.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I went with my dealerā€™s ā€œWinter Performance Packageā€ for my new Premium AWD - General Tire Altimax + stock 18ā€ Select wheels. Being a staunch Michelin X-Ice / Conti guy I was not super happy with the tire choice, but it was easy and they had good reviews. Then I found out General Tire is Continental, and the Altimax is made in Germany. :)

A bit of snow today, performed well. Happy with them, and the Select wheels make for a pretty good looking set of snow tires. Will also be switching to Whisper.
I would double check the spec of your general tires in a 225/60/18 the Mach E needs a 104H make sure it's not a 100 load rating

WWJPD

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
For my MME GTPE, last winter I went with studded Hakkas. They provided amazing handling to the point it was difficult to have "fun" in 8" of snow. The downside is of course that the road noise was high. Since last winter was my first with with an EV, I wondered if the reduced range was a result of the tires, but after having my GTPE for a year now and seeing the reduced range already with sub 40Ā°F temps, I think it's more a result of temp than tires. I def recommend the Hakkapelittas. Based on other comments here, I will have to move to whisper mode, but will leave 1pd on for now.

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
I would double check the spec of your general tires in a 225/60/18 the Mach E needs a 104H make sure it's not a 100 load rating
The Altimax Arctic 12 in an 225/60 R18 is rated 104T. Not too worried that it's not an H rating - if I'm doing more than 118 mph in the snow y'all better get the bail money ready...

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
The Altimax Arctic 12 in an 225/60 R18 is rated 104T. Not too worried that it's not an H rating - if I'm doing more than 118 mph in the snow y'all better get the bail money ready...
Know this H is a performance rating and it has to do with the horsepower and torque the tire can handle. Most people misunderstood and think it has to do with speed that's only part of it. Move down from a h and you will diminish your breaking and handling which is why you bought winter tires.

I had a H vs S breaking and cornering road test and the difference in performance was significant. With a heavy car like the Mach E this is amplified

Getting the load rating is critical and you did because with a lower load rating the tire will overheat and has a chance of blowouts.

Last edited:

saurez7777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Red
Country flag
I ran the Michelin X-Ice Snow 19" on my Premium AWD last winter and they were fantastic. I see that you have a GT PE however, so I don't know if they are available in the GT PE wheel size.

I hear that the Nokian Happapeliitta R5 EV are really good as well but have never tried them.
Could you let me know the rims you purchased for those tires?

VindictivePantz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MACH-E Premium AWD w/ Ext. Battery
Country flag
Any concerns for moving to 18" rims on a Premium w/ stock 20"?

It opens up a lot of options for the rims (cost + style...)

Thank you!

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Any concerns for moving to 18" rims on a Premium w/ stock 20"?

It opens up a lot of options for the rims (cost + style...)

Thank you!
Not many, first if you have a GTPE most 18" won't fit.

Make sure you pick a 225/60/18 104H or 245/55/18 104h and you should be good

If you have a GT try to match up the speed rating so 225/60/18 104V
Sponsored