Winter tires and best drive mode for snow?

VindictivePantz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MACH-E Premium AWD w/ Ext. Battery
Country flag
Not many, first if you have a GTPE most 18" won't fit.

Make sure you pick a 225/60/18 104H or 245/55/18 104h and you should be good

If you have a GT try to match up the speed rating so 225/60/18 104V
Thank you! - Premium, so will take a look. The stock A/S are "meh" so thinking about a winter set for the cold + snow.
Sponsored

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Thank you! - Premium, so will take a look. The stock A/S are "meh" so thinking about a winter set for the cold + snow.
Also the wheels make up about half of the cars aerodynamics. So try to find a wheel that looks like the CR1 or Tesla aero wheels for best efficiency

VindictivePantz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MACH-E Premium AWD w/ Ext. Battery
Country flag
Also the wheels make up about half of the cars aerodynamics. So try to find a wheel that looks like the CR1 or Tesla aero wheels for best efficiency
Thank you - Did not think about that, especially since the stock rims are pretty "flat".

I'll avoid these 😅

Ford Mustang Mach-E Winter tires and best drive mode for snow? FyQ75

pitter323

First Name
Patti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E
Occupation
Dance Instructor
Country flag
This is my 2nd winter now, and Whisper + 1pd is the way to go, for me. Most gentle transitions, and just the right amount of regen for my winter tires.
Which winter tires did you go with? Also, did you go down to an 18” wheel or stay with the 19”? I have the 2022 premium and have some steep hills to attend to do snow tires are happening! Thanks!

pitter323

First Name
Patti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E
Occupation
Dance Instructor
Country flag
Stock premium should be 19" but no issues going down to 18". I'm running Michelin x-ice snows at 235/60R18.
I also have the 2022 premium and am shopping tire rack for snows and wheels. The 18” is acceptable? Also, how are the Michelin snows?

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I also have the 2022 premium and am shopping tire rack for snows and wheels. The 18” is acceptable? Also, how are the Michelin snows?
Michelins are good I had X-Ice on my Fusion PHEV. If you get lots of deep unplowed snow they are not particularly good in that condition. I switched the the Blizzak LM-32 and those were good but only lasted one season. Now I am on Vredestein Wintrac Pros they are excellent

It is very important to put the correct speed and load rating. the tire should be a 225/60/18 104H many of the 225/60/18 are a 100H and this 100 load rating wont support the weight of the MME

Last edited:

Nemy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 DMG Mach-E Premium X
Country flag
Yes 18s are fine on the premium. I'm seeing about a 5-10% additional loss in range but my rims aren't aero and probably contribute to most of that since I never noticed a significant drop when I ran x-ice on my old Bolt.

Road noise increased but they're alot more planted (in dry and wet) than the blizzaks I ran last year on the MME. I also burned through the blizzaks way too fast so these are supposed to last a lot longer. Haven't tried them in snow or ice yet though but all the reviews look good.

20221121_145305.jpg

pitter323

First Name
Patti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E
Occupation
Dance Instructor
Country flag
Thank you! Local tire guy said he recommended sticking with the same diameter tire that I have (19”) …?… but the Michelin is a highly rated choice!

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Which winter tires did you go with? Also, did you go down to an 18” wheel or stay with the 19”? I have the 2022 premium and have some steep hills to attend to do snow tires are happening! Thanks!
I dropped to an 18" wheel (from a Jaguar F-Pace) for my 2nd set of wheels, and then Vredestein Wintrac Pros. The setup has been very good for me and I like the "chunky" look of the 18" wheels and taller sidewalls for winter.

More info here: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ire-information-and-pictures.7258/post-255044

Nemy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 DMG Mach-E Premium X
Country flag
I like the "chunky" look of the 18" wheels and taller sidewalls for winter.
Same. Plus wheels and tires are cheaper and we can probably squeeze out a couple extra miles of range, all the more important in the winter.

jdsimard2012

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
As we approach Winter was planning to get continental Viking contact snows. Any input is appreciated. Am more interested in feedback on what drive mode would offer the best control over snow. onscreen suggests whisper, when I think engage with 1-pedal should be better. This will be my first winter with a GTPE. My neighbor has a Y with the same stock summer performance tires as the MachE and says they are like riding on ice skates in cold weather. THANKS
I went with Continental VikingContact 7 for my GTPE for winter tires. Overall, I'm very satisfied.

jdsimard2012

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
As we approach Winter was planning to get continental Viking contact snows. Any input is appreciated. Am more interested in feedback on what drive mode would offer the best control over snow. onscreen suggests whisper, when I think engage with 1-pedal should be better. This will be my first winter with a GTPE. My neighbor has a Y with the same stock summer performance tires as the MachE and says they are like riding on ice skates in cold weather. THANKS
I went with Continental VikingContact 7 and have no regrets. Good price and good quality tires. I shopped around and found that these checked all the boxes for me.

Reactions: RAP

BTRYPWRDPONY

First Name
JAY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MachE GTPE DMG
Country flag
I do want to add some content to this conversation.

There are essentially 3 kinds of tires being talked about in the thread.

1 all season tires. Although all season tires are the best they have ever been they are not rated by the rubber manufacturers association for winter. The RMA winter rating is TPMSF three peak mountain snow flake. All season typically have a tread compound designed to handle light snow. The tread compound is optimized to work down to 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Examples of all season tires are continental dws06+ and Michelin Pilot sport 4 a/s.

2 the next category is more of a marketing term but it's catching on in the snowbelt. Usually refered to as all weather the tires are certified and have the TPMSF three peak mountain snowflake. These typically have a tread compound that work at lower temperatures than an all season say down to -5 Fahrenheit. some are extremely well balanced and work equally good in the snow and wet like the Michelin Cross Climate 2 and the Vredestein Quatrac Pro. These are great for someone who lives in an area that gets bad weather and wants to use only one set of tires. Noticably better traction in the cold than an all season.

3 dedicated winter tires. These have a tread compound designed to work in extreme cold and typically have excessive wear if used over 50 degrees Fahrenheit. They are less about traction for acceleration ( AWD is great for acceleration in snow) They help in cornering and breaking. These require a summer and winter set of tires and we make the switch at 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Winter tires provide noticably better traction in the snow than an all weather or all season.

Choose the best for the area you live and how severe winter gets.

Also make your own choice and I am not criticizing you decision. I saw a bunch of regular all season tires when I was in Minot, ND yesterday. In Minot I would do a dedicated winter. In Chicago I would do an all weather they don't get that much snow and it's plowed well.
I am in Chicago- I put the Michelin CrossClimate 2 on- no real snow yet but the ride is great and wet traction is great--we are expecting a snow storm the next couple of days, so we'll see how they do.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I am in Chicago- I put the Michelin CrossClimate 2 on- no real snow yet but the ride is great and wet traction is great--we are expecting a snow storm the next couple of days, so we'll see how they do.
They should do good, Cross Climate 2 and Quatrac Pro are among the best balanced all-weather products on the market. Here is a video that I found interesting, you probably would too

Sponsored