RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Thanks for the write up. I use PlugShare to find hotels with free charging. Got a Tesla tap just in case, but haven’t needed it yet. I make sure to tell them I picked their hotel because of the charging.
If you come down to Florida there is a Hilton off of I-95 in Saint Augustine that has 2 Tesla plugs and 1 CCS plug. However, per the comments on Plugshare these chargers are frequently ICE’D!!
Sponsored

BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium 4X, 2023 Leaf (wifes car)
Occupation
This, that, and everything
Country flag
Here is a quick recap and my big takeaways from the road trip I took between central NJ and Burlington, VT (and back). Learned a ton, and no total screw ups (thankfully) so definitely a good adventure.

Left house with 100% charge. Was spending night outside Saratoga so knew I'd have plenty of range to get there and from there to my next stop (Killington). Was hoping I could use a free level two charger that was close to my hotel, but it was not really practical when I saw the distances in real life. On the map it looked like it was across the street, but in reality it was probably a 10-15 minute walk across a major road and to the far side of a big medical complex. Settled in for night browsing for chargers on my way from Saratoga to Killington. Got about 215 miles while using 52.7 Kw. Weather was VERY mild for this part of the world and I didn't use any climate besides seat warmer.

Day 2 I had about 40% charge and my plan was to use level 2 charging while hitting the slopes at Killington for several hours. Based on my searches in Ford app/plug share, I knew there was a free fast charger at NY Thruway Adirondack welcome area, so figured I could get a little free cushion. Sadly, it would not talk to the Mach E. Hope it gets updated as it would be super convenient. Decided to try stopping for a fast charge in Rutland VT at an EV go charger. Figured I could get coffee and a bite to eat while getting the aforementioned "cushion" I wanted on my range. Sadly, the EVgo station also failed to connect. Everything seemed in order, I tried the app, I tried paying by credit card, etc but could not get the "handshake" between charger and car. Ugh! All my eggs were now in the basket of Killington's level 2 chargers as I rolled in at 9% charge. Thankfully, Killington came through. Chargers available in various parking lots. I was in the K1 base and got about 45% charge in a little under 4 hours. I now had the juice I needed to get myself to Burlington.

Burlington presented new learning experiences. They have lots of level 2 chargers as parking spots. Was annoyed by a Tesla that was blocking a charger because they just wanted to take advantage of the "EV parking only" aspect. Now, for full disclosure, I wanted to park near the restaurants/shops in downtown. I'm sure I could've found a free level two off the beaten path. But my goal was to add charge while dining and such. Ultimately found a spot and connected to a Charge point level two charger. If I'd been smart, I'd have booked a hotel with access to a level 2 charger...but I wasn't really thinking of that when I booked a room a few weeks back.

Drive home (~390 miles) was the real deal. Leaving Burlington with only about 50% charge, temps in the high 20s, and a snowstorm moving in. My goal was getting home as fast as possible. Since I knew the fast charger in Rutland was not going to work, my first destination was a fast charger in Schroon Lake, NY. This pulled me about 30-40 miles west of what my normal route would've been. The plus side was driving the curves and rolling hills around that lake. The high speed charger worked like a dream, and despite being pushed a bit west, I was able to hop on the NY Thruway south immediately. Went from 26-->61% in 25 minutes. Averaged 3.4 miles/Kw for this 70 mile leg in high 20s temps, with seat warmers and a little bit of heat at times.

Driving on NY Thruway for about 100 miles while snow started. Destination an Electrify America charger at a Walmart in Albany. This was a vision of what EV travel could be. Parked and got charger rolling right away. Went to TJ Maxx to get a present, got coffee at Panera (all in same plaza/strip mall) and after 31 minutes went from 29-->80%

I was about 195 miles from home, and did not want to stop again. It was all highway driving at 65-70mph in 28-32degree temps. There were times it was looking like I'd get home with 4-5 miles left...a prospect that freaked me out. I knew I could stop somewhere to top off but really wanted to get home. Thankfully, some traffic in northern NJ (Rt 17, thank you) gave me some chance to regenerate range! I was watching the battery like a hawk while Blue Cruise drove most of the way from Albany to good ol Exit 8 off the NJTPK!

Got off highway with about 9% left (averaged 3.1 on the 190 miles) and switched to unbridled to enjoy launching out of traffic lights last few miles home. If you've read this far, Merry Christmas ?

Lessons learned

1) this isn't a real surprise, but I think you'd have to get pretty lucky to make a road trip work without planning to spend money on fast charging. You are really paying for convenience. If you've got the time/schedule to stop and use level 2 charging, great. For example, I spent a day skiing at Killington in VT. So from 9am-3pm I got free level 2 charging that gave me the juice to get the rest of the way to Burlington. However, if you are in a hurry to get from point A to point B you'll likely want a premium fast charger

2) again, no shock here, but with an EV, my priorities about where to stay and what to do would change. I'd be less interested in earning points at a certain hotel (a current priority) vs finding a place where there's a level 2 charger I can use overnight.

3) was surprised how much I used Blue cruise. After about 15 minutes of being weirded out, I was happy to let the car do the work while I daydreamed and looked at the scenery.

4) Soundsystem is great. Love cranking music in this bad boy.

5) soooo fun to drive. Handles like a dream, plenty of power even in whisper mode, etc. Just a very fun car.

Thanks for reading my crazy long post!
Great trip report, calmed my wife down when she sees that travelling with an EV is not much different than an ICE

Tony

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
I don't think that's an MME issue
There’s a particular brand of charger that doesn’t work with Mustangs - something like “EFECAC”. They exist on the NYS Thruway at at least one rest stop. I’ve tested this out. There were other PlugShare comments as well.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
There’s a particular brand of charger that doesn’t work with Mustangs - something like “EFECAC”. They exist on the NYS Thruway at at least one rest stop. I’ve tested this out. There were other PlugShare comments as well.
Huh, that's weird.

billy_at

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
Thanks for this! I also have an RWD extended range (and I also live in central NJ - hello!).

I've been really curious how this car handles in snow and ice with RWD, especially because it has way more power than my last car.

Did you have any handling or traction issues? What driving mode did you use during the snowy part of the trip?

SpicyMcHaggis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-e Premium
Country flag
Thanks for this post! I'm expecting delivery of my Mach-e this month and drive from NJ to NH at least a few times a year. It's a different route but this gave me some helpful ideas. Much appreciated!

Zassi

First Name
Jussi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E RWD SR
Country flag
Thanks for this! I also have an RWD extended range (and I also live in central NJ - hello!).

I've been really curious how this car handles in snow and ice with RWD, especially because it has way more power than my last car.

Did you have any handling or traction issues? What driving mode did you use during the snowy part of the trip?
Been driving my SR RWD around with non-studded snow tires in untamed mode since Nove when it hit -10C here in Finland. Other than the aggressive regen which causes the rear wheels to lock in slippery conditions there’s been no problems at all(and I quickly got used to giving it just a minimal amout on ”gas”pedal to limit the amount of regen). When it comes to acclerating there’s not much of difference to any powerfull RWD except that the traction control is better.

idkhow

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bateman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach-e premium, van down by the river
Occupation
it plumber, auto detailer
Country flag
If you come down to Florida there is a Hilton off of I-95 in Saint Augustine that has 2 Tesla plugs and 1 CCS plug. However, per the comments on Plugshare these chargers are frequently ICE’D!!
Live in the same area of NJ and constantly go out to Amish country and PA, there were a ton of Hilton properties that PlugShare, etc. marks as paid that were complimentary.

Have enjoyed many a good Hilton with free coffee with the girlfriend while charging off L2 until we got to our hotel, which also had L2.

Always have the TeslaTap if necessary, but I mostly use that for home use. The Tesla charger looks nicer, and I had a Model Y on order until doofus decided to remove the radar from all orders after the order date.

Malfy34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT
Country flag
Here is a quick recap and my big takeaways from the road trip I took between central NJ and Burlington, VT (and back). Learned a ton, and no total screw ups (thankfully) so definitely a good adventure.

Left house with 100% charge. Was spending night outside Saratoga so knew I'd have plenty of range to get there and from there to my next stop (Killington). Was hoping I could use a free level two charger that was close to my hotel, but it was not really practical when I saw the distances in real life. On the map it looked like it was across the street, but in reality it was probably a 10-15 minute walk across a major road and to the far side of a big medical complex. Settled in for night browsing for chargers on my way from Saratoga to Killington. Got about 215 miles while using 52.7 Kw. Weather was VERY mild for this part of the world and I didn't use any climate besides seat warmer.

Day 2 I had about 40% charge and my plan was to use level 2 charging while hitting the slopes at Killington for several hours. Based on my searches in Ford app/plug share, I knew there was a free fast charger at NY Thruway Adirondack welcome area, so figured I could get a little free cushion. Sadly, it would not talk to the Mach E. Hope it gets updated as it would be super convenient. Decided to try stopping for a fast charge in Rutland VT at an EV go charger. Figured I could get coffee and a bite to eat while getting the aforementioned "cushion" I wanted on my range. Sadly, the EVgo station also failed to connect. Everything seemed in order, I tried the app, I tried paying by credit card, etc but could not get the "handshake" between charger and car. Ugh! All my eggs were now in the basket of Killington's level 2 chargers as I rolled in at 9% charge. Thankfully, Killington came through. Chargers available in various parking lots. I was in the K1 base and got about 45% charge in a little under 4 hours. I now had the juice I needed to get myself to Burlington.

Burlington presented new learning experiences. They have lots of level 2 chargers as parking spots. Was annoyed by a Tesla that was blocking a charger because they just wanted to take advantage of the "EV parking only" aspect. Now, for full disclosure, I wanted to park near the restaurants/shops in downtown. I'm sure I could've found a free level two off the beaten path. But my goal was to add charge while dining and such. Ultimately found a spot and connected to a Charge point level two charger. If I'd been smart, I'd have booked a hotel with access to a level 2 charger...but I wasn't really thinking of that when I booked a room a few weeks back.

Drive home (~390 miles) was the real deal. Leaving Burlington with only about 50% charge, temps in the high 20s, and a snowstorm moving in. My goal was getting home as fast as possible. Since I knew the fast charger in Rutland was not going to work, my first destination was a fast charger in Schroon Lake, NY. This pulled me about 30-40 miles west of what my normal route would've been. The plus side was driving the curves and rolling hills around that lake. The high speed charger worked like a dream, and despite being pushed a bit west, I was able to hop on the NY Thruway south immediately. Went from 26-->61% in 25 minutes. Averaged 3.4 miles/Kw for this 70 mile leg in high 20s temps, with seat warmers and a little bit of heat at times.

Driving on NY Thruway for about 100 miles while snow started. Destination an Electrify America charger at a Walmart in Albany. This was a vision of what EV travel could be. Parked and got charger rolling right away. Went to TJ Maxx to get a present, got coffee at Panera (all in same plaza/strip mall) and after 31 minutes went from 29-->80%

I was about 195 miles from home, and did not want to stop again. It was all highway driving at 65-70mph in 28-32degree temps. There were times it was looking like I'd get home with 4-5 miles left...a prospect that freaked me out. I knew I could stop somewhere to top off but really wanted to get home. Thankfully, some traffic in northern NJ (Rt 17, thank you) gave me some chance to regenerate range! I was watching the battery like a hawk while Blue Cruise drove most of the way from Albany to good ol Exit 8 off the NJTPK!

Got off highway with about 9% left (averaged 3.1 on the 190 miles) and switched to unbridled to enjoy launching out of traffic lights last few miles home. If you've read this far, Merry Christmas ?

Lessons learned

1) this isn't a real surprise, but I think you'd have to get pretty lucky to make a road trip work without planning to spend money on fast charging. You are really paying for convenience. If you've got the time/schedule to stop and use level 2 charging, great. For example, I spent a day skiing at Killington in VT. So from 9am-3pm I got free level 2 charging that gave me the juice to get the rest of the way to Burlington. However, if you are in a hurry to get from point A to point B you'll likely want a premium fast charger

2) again, no shock here, but with an EV, my priorities about where to stay and what to do would change. I'd be less interested in earning points at a certain hotel (a current priority) vs finding a place where there's a level 2 charger I can use overnight.

3) was surprised how much I used Blue cruise. After about 15 minutes of being weirded out, I was happy to let the car do the work while I daydreamed and looked at the scenery.

4) Soundsystem is great. Love cranking music in this bad boy.

5) soooo fun to drive. Handles like a dream, plenty of power even in whisper mode, etc. Just a very fun car.

Thanks for reading my crazy long post!
Hi,
we plan to drive from queens to the New York thruway up to west of Saratoga (great Sacandaga lake) regularly. It is 226 miles door to door. I would estimate 3/4 of that drive is at around 55-75 mph and 1/4 at 35-50. No illusions that we can make it without 1 stop to charge in winter but hoping in the summer we can. Did I read correctly that furthest you drive on 1 charge was 190 miles?
was the charger in the Adirondacks you said that Couldn’t recognize ford on route 90W?

OP
OP

Sleevesmcd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Hi,
we plan to drive from queens to the New York thruway up to west of Saratoga (great Sacandaga lake) regularly. It is 226 miles door to door. I would estimate 3/4 of that drive is at around 55-75 mph and 1/4 at 35-50. No illusions that we can make it without 1 stop to charge in winter but hoping in the summer we can. Did I read correctly that furthest you drive on 1 charge was 190 miles?
was the charger in the Adirondacks you said that Couldn’t recognize ford on route 90W?
It was the Adirondack Welcome Center on the Thruway that had a free high speed charger but it wouldn't communicate with the car. My longest straight shot was 190 miles from Albany to Exit 8 of NJTPK

OP
OP

Sleevesmcd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E Premium
Country flag

Sorry for the slow reply, was away for holidays! I didn't experience any issues during my drive. I kept in whisper most of the drive as I was trying to maximize my mileage. Seems like today (Weds 1/5) would be the day to test the traction given this ice storm!

Malfy34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT
Country flag
It was the Adirondack Welcome Center on the Thruway that had a free high speed charger but it wouldn't communicate with the car. My longest straight shot was 190 miles from Albany to Exit 8 of NJTPK
What time of year was it (I see you posted recently so assuming it was cold)?
I’m holding out hope on being able to just it 226 miles in a single charge this spring or summer

OP
OP

Sleevesmcd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E Premium
Country flag
I’m holding out hope on being able to just it 226 miles in a single charge this spring or summer
It was start of Dec. In the low 30s if I remember correctly

OP
OP

Sleevesmcd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Not sure which model you are getting, but I think you can get 226. The 190 that I did in a single shot was based off starting at 80% charge, and I still had close to 10% left.

Malfy34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT
Country flag
Not sure which model you are getting, but I think you can get 226. The 190 that I did in a single shot was based off starting at 80% charge, and I still had close to 10% left.
Right and that was winter so I think we’ll be good. We got a GT which supposedly has the same or maybe 10 less miles of range than the awd extended range premium
Sponsored