Sleevesmcd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Here is a quick recap and my big takeaways from the road trip I took between central NJ and Burlington, VT (and back). Learned a ton, and no total screw ups (thankfully) so definitely a good adventure.

Left house with 100% charge. Was spending night outside Saratoga so knew I'd have plenty of range to get there and from there to my next stop (Killington). Was hoping I could use a free level two charger that was close to my hotel, but it was not really practical when I saw the distances in real life. On the map it looked like it was across the street, but in reality it was probably a 10-15 minute walk across a major road and to the far side of a big medical complex. Settled in for night browsing for chargers on my way from Saratoga to Killington. Got about 215 miles while using 52.7 Kw. Weather was VERY mild for this part of the world and I didn't use any climate besides seat warmer.

Day 2 I had about 40% charge and my plan was to use level 2 charging while hitting the slopes at Killington for several hours. Based on my searches in Ford app/plug share, I knew there was a free fast charger at NY Thruway Adirondack welcome area, so figured I could get a little free cushion. Sadly, it would not talk to the Mach E. Hope it gets updated as it would be super convenient. Decided to try stopping for a fast charge in Rutland VT at an EV go charger. Figured I could get coffee and a bite to eat while getting the aforementioned "cushion" I wanted on my range. Sadly, the EVgo station also failed to connect. Everything seemed in order, I tried the app, I tried paying by credit card, etc but could not get the "handshake" between charger and car. Ugh! All my eggs were now in the basket of Killington's level 2 chargers as I rolled in at 9% charge. Thankfully, Killington came through. Chargers available in various parking lots. I was in the K1 base and got about 45% charge in a little under 4 hours. I now had the juice I needed to get myself to Burlington.

Burlington presented new learning experiences. They have lots of level 2 chargers as parking spots. Was annoyed by a Tesla that was blocking a charger because they just wanted to take advantage of the "EV parking only" aspect. Now, for full disclosure, I wanted to park near the restaurants/shops in downtown. I'm sure I could've found a free level two off the beaten path. But my goal was to add charge while dining and such. Ultimately found a spot and connected to a Charge point level two charger. If I'd been smart, I'd have booked a hotel with access to a level 2 charger...but I wasn't really thinking of that when I booked a room a few weeks back.

Drive home (~390 miles) was the real deal. Leaving Burlington with only about 50% charge, temps in the high 20s, and a snowstorm moving in. My goal was getting home as fast as possible. Since I knew the fast charger in Rutland was not going to work, my first destination was a fast charger in Schroon Lake, NY. This pulled me about 30-40 miles west of what my normal route would've been. The plus side was driving the curves and rolling hills around that lake. The high speed charger worked like a dream, and despite being pushed a bit west, I was able to hop on the NY Thruway south immediately. Went from 26-->61% in 25 minutes. Averaged 3.4 miles/Kw for this 70 mile leg in high 20s temps, with seat warmers and a little bit of heat at times.

Driving on NY Thruway for about 100 miles while snow started. Destination an Electrify America charger at a Walmart in Albany. This was a vision of what EV travel could be. Parked and got charger rolling right away. Went to TJ Maxx to get a present, got coffee at Panera (all in same plaza/strip mall) and after 31 minutes went from 29-->80%

I was about 195 miles from home, and did not want to stop again. It was all highway driving at 65-70mph in 28-32degree temps. There were times it was looking like I'd get home with 4-5 miles left...a prospect that freaked me out. I knew I could stop somewhere to top off but really wanted to get home. Thankfully, some traffic in northern NJ (Rt 17, thank you) gave me some chance to regenerate range! I was watching the battery like a hawk while Blue Cruise drove most of the way from Albany to good ol Exit 8 off the NJTPK!

Got off highway with about 9% left (averaged 3.1 on the 190 miles) and switched to unbridled to enjoy launching out of traffic lights last few miles home. If you've read this far, Merry Christmas ?

Lessons learned

1) this isn't a real surprise, but I think you'd have to get pretty lucky to make a road trip work without planning to spend money on fast charging. You are really paying for convenience. If you've got the time/schedule to stop and use level 2 charging, great. For example, I spent a day skiing at Killington in VT. So from 9am-3pm I got free level 2 charging that gave me the juice to get the rest of the way to Burlington. However, if you are in a hurry to get from point A to point B you'll likely want a premium fast charger

2) again, no shock here, but with an EV, my priorities about where to stay and what to do would change. I'd be less interested in earning points at a certain hotel (a current priority) vs finding a place where there's a level 2 charger I can use overnight.

3) was surprised how much I used Blue cruise. After about 15 minutes of being weirded out, I was happy to let the car do the work while I daydreamed and looked at the scenery.

4) Soundsystem is great. Love cranking music in this bad boy.

5) soooo fun to drive. Handles like a dream, plenty of power even in whisper mode, etc. Just a very fun car.

Thanks for reading my crazy long post!
Sponsored

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Range Rover, 2012 Dodge, 2018 Chevy, 52 M38
Occupation
Retired, building inspector / construction super for a builder in NY.
Country flag
Great rundown. Gave me a good idea for a test drive with my wife in the spring. That is if I get my car by than. I enjoyed reading it. And Merry Christmas to you to.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Nice writeup. You can absolutely do road trips in a BEV, but as you found out the reality is that you do have to plan much more and sometimes your priorities change. Eventually that will get better.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Forgot to mention: abetterroutplanner.com is a great tool for planning a road trip

WCVT

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME ER premium RR
Country flag
hope you enjoyed your time in VT!!! I work in Burlington and live in St Albans, but grew up in NJ (Toms River). Waiting for my Mach e to arrive so I can travel around the state and check out some of the chargers in VT

OP
OP

Sleevesmcd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E Premium
Country flag
hope you enjoyed your time in VT!!! I work in Burlington and live in St Albans, but grew up in NJ (Toms River). Waiting for my Mach e to arrive so I can travel around the state and check out some of the chargers in VT
Hope that your wait isn't too long and that soon you're cruising VT with a big smile! Burlington has a good amount of level 2 chargers that would give you options for topping off during the work day, including on campus at UVM, downtown, and in some different shopping plazas!

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
As far as the hotel planning goes, I’ve found that I don’t have to look for the hotels with chargers - depending. For most of the places I’ve gone, there has been a DC fast charger nearby either on the way in or out so that the overnight charge is a nice to have but not necessary. Of course it saves a bit of money, so there’s that. We’ve done a lot of B and B’s lately and to my pleasant surprise, a lot of those have chargers.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Burlington presented new learning experiences. They have lots of level 2 chargers as parking spots. Was annoyed by a Tesla that was blocking a charger because they just wanted to take advantage of the "EV parking only" aspect.
I can't speak for the rest of the country, but I can tell you that Teslas parked in ChargePoint spots is standard operating procedure in Burlington, and they're never plugged in. When I'm downtown for a bit, I reciprocate by plugging in to the free Tesla destination charger behind Hotel Vermont. I checked with the front desk and confirmed that they don't care.

CarsIMBwife

First Name
Rosie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4x
Occupation
Retired Data Analyst
Country flag
Thanks for the write up. I use PlugShare to find hotels with free charging. Got a Tesla tap just in case, but haven’t needed it yet. I make sure to tell them I picked their hotel because of the charging.

oadesign

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oaddesign.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Interactive Design Director
Country flag
Here is a quick recap and my big takeaways from the road trip I took between central NJ and Burlington, VT (and back). Learned a ton, and no total screw ups (thankfully) so definitely a good adventure.

Left house with 100% charge. Was spending night outside Saratoga so knew I'd have plenty of range to get there and from there to my next stop (Killington). Was hoping I could use a free level two charger that was close to my hotel, but it was not really practical when I saw the distances in real life. On the map it looked like it was across the street, but in reality it was probably a 10-15 minute walk across a major road and to the far side of a big medical complex. Settled in for night browsing for chargers on my way from Saratoga to Killington. Got about 215 miles while using 52.7 Kw. Weather was VERY mild for this part of the world and I didn't use any climate besides seat warmer.

Day 2 I had about 40% charge and my plan was to use level 2 charging while hitting the slopes at Killington for several hours. Based on my searches in Ford app/plug share, I knew there was a free fast charger at NY Thruway Adirondack welcome area, so figured I could get a little free cushion. Sadly, it would not talk to the Mach E. Hope it gets updated as it would be super convenient. Decided to try stopping for a fast charge in Rutland VT at an EV go charger. Figured I could get coffee and a bite to eat while getting the aforementioned "cushion" I wanted on my range. Sadly, the EVgo station also failed to connect. Everything seemed in order, I tried the app, I tried paying by credit card, etc but could not get the "handshake" between charger and car. Ugh! All my eggs were now in the basket of Killington's level 2 chargers as I rolled in at 9% charge. Thankfully, Killington came through. Chargers available in various parking lots. I was in the K1 base and got about 45% charge in a little under 4 hours. I now had the juice I needed to get myself to Burlington.

Burlington presented new learning experiences. They have lots of level 2 chargers as parking spots. Was annoyed by a Tesla that was blocking a charger because they just wanted to take advantage of the "EV parking only" aspect. Now, for full disclosure, I wanted to park near the restaurants/shops in downtown. I'm sure I could've found a free level two off the beaten path. But my goal was to add charge while dining and such. Ultimately found a spot and connected to a Charge point level two charger. If I'd been smart, I'd have booked a hotel with access to a level 2 charger...but I wasn't really thinking of that when I booked a room a few weeks back.

Drive home (~390 miles) was the real deal. Leaving Burlington with only about 50% charge, temps in the high 20s, and a snowstorm moving in. My goal was getting home as fast as possible. Since I knew the fast charger in Rutland was not going to work, my first destination was a fast charger in Schroon Lake, NY. This pulled me about 30-40 miles west of what my normal route would've been. The plus side was driving the curves and rolling hills around that lake. The high speed charger worked like a dream, and despite being pushed a bit west, I was able to hop on the NY Thruway south immediately. Went from 26-->61% in 25 minutes. Averaged 3.4 miles/Kw for this 70 mile leg in high 20s temps, with seat warmers and a little bit of heat at times.

Driving on NY Thruway for about 100 miles while snow started. Destination an Electrify America charger at a Walmart in Albany. This was a vision of what EV travel could be. Parked and got charger rolling right away. Went to TJ Maxx to get a present, got coffee at Panera (all in same plaza/strip mall) and after 31 minutes went from 29-->80%

I was about 195 miles from home, and did not want to stop again. It was all highway driving at 65-70mph in 28-32degree temps. There were times it was looking like I'd get home with 4-5 miles left...a prospect that freaked me out. I knew I could stop somewhere to top off but really wanted to get home. Thankfully, some traffic in northern NJ (Rt 17, thank you) gave me some chance to regenerate range! I was watching the battery like a hawk while Blue Cruise drove most of the way from Albany to good ol Exit 8 off the NJTPK!

Got off highway with about 9% left (averaged 3.1 on the 190 miles) and switched to unbridled to enjoy launching out of traffic lights last few miles home. If you've read this far, Merry Christmas ?

Lessons learned

1) this isn't a real surprise, but I think you'd have to get pretty lucky to make a road trip work without planning to spend money on fast charging. You are really paying for convenience. If you've got the time/schedule to stop and use level 2 charging, great. For example, I spent a day skiing at Killington in VT. So from 9am-3pm I got free level 2 charging that gave me the juice to get the rest of the way to Burlington. However, if you are in a hurry to get from point A to point B you'll likely want a premium fast charger

2) again, no shock here, but with an EV, my priorities about where to stay and what to do would change. I'd be less interested in earning points at a certain hotel (a current priority) vs finding a place where there's a level 2 charger I can use overnight.

3) was surprised how much I used Blue cruise. After about 15 minutes of being weirded out, I was happy to let the car do the work while I daydreamed and looked at the scenery.

5) soooo fun to drive. Handles like a dream, plenty of power even in whisper mode, etc. Just a very fun car.

Excellent write-up.

I'd been planning my first road trip to Manhattan from central MA last weekend, with a stop at an EA charger at the Tappan Zee Bridge (sorry, that's the name it was when I lived in NJ for 7 years!). I was supposed to take delivery by 11/27, but the seat belt recall pushed my delivery into 2022, so my first road trip will have to wait!

TenaflyNJ

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT 2022 Grabber Blue
Occupation
Big Pimpin’
Country flag

Lessons learned

Hey Exit 8! I lived in Twin Rivers from birth up to college, wonder if we know each other.

I just got a build date for a GB GT on 1/31. Maybe we’ll catch each other around.

Nice write-up. Hope the running at Killington was fun.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Reading this at that EA stop at Albany Walmart. Glad you had a good trip.

IB_NYC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext. Range
Country flag

Lessons learned

Just did almost the same trip tonight up to Stratton. I stopped to charge at the Malden travel plaza off the thruway..was pulling about 40kw while charging. Seems like a lot of these rest areas are shut down now unfortunately.

Main issue is the slower charging when battery is cold but after driving for a few hours I thought it would have been warmed up and pulling the full 60kw available from the charger. Even at EA chargers only pulling about the same when it's colder.

Added about an hour to the trip to charge.

Also had the recent dealer update done so was able to still pull the same after 80%.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Winter Trip Report: NJ to Burlington, VT in extended range RWD Mach-E Screenshot_20211221-234854

mylittlepony

First Name
Dominick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE
Country flag
Sounded like a fun toad trip! Glad you made it back safely. To all those planning road trips be careful when finding those free charging spots as the MME does not talk all chargers. We have some free fast charging spots in SoCal that I have tried to use and it did not communicate? Happy Holidays!

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Sounded like a fun toad trip! Glad you made it back safely. To all those planning road trips be careful when finding those free charging spots as the MME does not talk all chargers. We have some free fast charging spots in SoCal that I have tried to use and it did not communicate? Happy Holidays!
I don't think that's an MME issue
Sponsored