Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Looking for advice on keeping the cars clean over winter. I live far enough north that I can’t use a hose between now and probably early April. I have to cover all my outdoor faucets and blow the water out of my hoses because everything freezes solid. I’ve never washed a car during winter. I’ve allowed the slush and salt to build up until I could safely use my hose again in the spring or occasionally gone to automatic car washes as I wasn’t worried about the paint anyway. This is the first car I’ve ever cared about the looks of so the first I’ll be trying to keep clean when it’s -20°F.

Surely some of my friends here on our little forum have had cars that they kept clean through the winter. Is it all waterless car wash and microfiber towels? Is it taking it to the car wash and using the quarter fed pressure washers? (And then trying to get it dry before the water droplets freeze on?) Is it hauling buckets of warm water from the bathtub to the garage and trying to do a soap and rinse without a hose available? (And again drying before the water freezes on). What’s the secret? Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
A typical automatic car wash runs the risk of putting micro-scratches into the clear coat.

ALSO... there is the risk of them snagging the Mach-E badges on the doors and breaking them.

I normally would hand-wash in my driveway but, like you, we have to winterize the water spigots until spring.

I use a true "touch-less" car wash that uses only water pressure to clean the car (nothing but water or soap physical touches the car). These work much better if you had your car ceramic-coated (it gives the car a rather non-stick finish ... think ceramic non-stick cookware). With that finish, merely rinsing the car gets it mostly clean. Then I only have to dry it (and be careful to blot-dry the badges... it's easy to snag a towel on them and break them.)

I drove my beater-car to the perspective "touch-less" wash and run it through first ... just to make sure it doesn't, at any point, actually touch the car.

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
A typical automatic car wash runs the risk of putting micro-scratches into the clear coat.

ALSO... there is the risk of them snagging the Mach-E badges on the doors and breaking them.

I normally would hand-wash in my driveway but, like you, we have to winterize the water spigots until spring.

I use a true "touch-less" car wash that uses only water pressure to clean the car (nothing but water or soap physical touches the car). These work much better if you had your car ceramic-coated (it gives the car a rather non-stick finish ... think ceramic non-stick cookware). With that finish, merely rinsing the car gets it mostly clean. Then I only have to dry it (and be careful to blot-dry the badges... it's easy to snag a towel on them and break them.)

I drove my beater-car to the perspective "touch-less" wash and run it through first ... just to make sure it doesn't, at any point, actually touch the car.
My badges aren’t a concern. I’ve taken them off and reaffixed them with better emblem tape. My only truly touchless car wash uses such high pressure that it blasted some of my striping off my vehicle so I won’t go back there. That’s why I’m looking for better ideas. Thanks for the input.

• Wow
Reactions: ARK

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I am going to use touchless weekly washes, automated. I want the undercarriage spray for sure. I will bring it into work's warehouse monthly and try to hit it with spray detailer. No brushes for me. I also use TW Hybrid Solutions. I have to say, 6 months and still incredible beading. Trying to get the new one done on Saturday before weather hits.

Last edited:

0t60-3.5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT PE, + ME Select AWD, '21 Explorer ST
Occupation
Tech Company Owner / CEO
Country flag
Mister Carwash --- just do it, try to go on a bit warmer days, but the drying helps. I'm lucky to have a heated garage so much of the slush (with sand) melts to the floor drain.

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Mister Carwash --- just do it, try to go on a bit warmer days, but the drying helps. I'm lucky to have a heated garage so much of the slush (with sand) melts to the floor drain.
The nearest Mister Carwash is 5 hours from me in Reading PA. I think I’ll skip that one. ?
I’ll look into the No rinse stuff but maybe I can just use the hanger at work every once in a while without angering the powers that be.

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
J1 '21 Premium Ex RWD (Rapid Red)
Country flag

shoopla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE, '16 Volvo S60 CrossCountry, '16 XC60
Occupation
Proj Engineer
Country flag
I found a car wash with heated bays about 30min away that I've used on my other cars (not on the MME GTPE, since she'll be in hibernation during the snowy times). They have an automatic one that's heated but I've never used it, always the quarter fed sprayer in a heated bay with warm water. They even have a hand held blower for drying it off, but I always take towels since it's free and the blower isn't exactly efficient. Just make sure you get all the seals dried.

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I found a car wash with heated bays about 30min away that I've used on my other cars (not on the MME GTPE, since she'll be in hibernation during the snowy times). They have an automatic one that's heated but I've never used it, always the quarter fed sprayer in a heated bay with warm water. They even have a hand held blower for drying it off, but I always take towels since it's free and the blower isn't exactly efficient. Just make sure you get all the seals dried.
I’ve got a battery powered leaf blower that I would take if I could find a place with a heated bay.

bruceski88

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Looking for advice on keeping the cars clean over winter. I live far enough north that I can’t use a hose between now and probably early April. I have to cover all my outdoor faucets and blow the water out of my hoses because everything freezes solid. I’ve never washed a car during winter. I’ve allowed the slush and salt to build up until I could safely use my hose again in the spring or occasionally gone to automatic car washes as I wasn’t worried about the paint anyway. This is the first car I’ve ever cared about the looks of so the first I’ll be trying to keep clean when it’s -20°F.

Surely some of my friends here on our little forum have had cars that they kept clean through the winter. Is it all waterless car wash and microfiber towels? Is it taking it to the car wash and using the quarter fed pressure washers? (And then trying to get it dry before the water droplets freeze on?) Is it hauling buckets of warm water from the bathtub to the garage and trying to do a soap and rinse without a hose available? (And again drying before the water freezes on). What’s the secret? Any advice is appreciated.ts really
I use self service spray wash, no brush, if it’s really dirty. Anytime driving in snow this is the case. Then follow up at home with thewaterless method with microfiber towels.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Anyone living in a state with snow and road salt can't begin to consider the Garry Dean method.

First, remember that the vehicle is mostly aluminum and plastic. Second, dirt doesn't hurt the vehicle unless you rub it around.

I wash my vehicles less during the winter, and hit the hand held quarter wash when it gets really bad. If we get a day where it soars into the 40s, then I'll quickly wash both.

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Anyone living in a state with snow and road salt can't begin to consider the Garry Dean method.

First, remember that the vehicle is mostly aluminum and plastic. Second, dirt doesn't hurt the vehicle unless you rub it around.

I wash my vehicles less during the winter, and hit the hand held quarter wash when it gets really bad. If we get a day where it soars into the 40s, then I'll quickly wash both.
Thanks Rick. That is kinda what I was thinking but wanted to solicit opinions for other options. I hate leaving my Black MME dirty most of the winter, but it may be better than scratching the hell out of it.

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse