First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium eAWD X
Country flag
Hello all,

After a shaky start (seemingly my modem configured for EU ?) , I have Ford Pass and Sync 4 working well. The only issue I have is that when my phone connects to wireless Car play, it cannot connect to data for nav etc. What this means if I am trying to use Waze when connected to Car play, i cannot get directions.

(Phone is iPhone 12 Pro)

From what I can see, phone prioritizes wifi when connected and as I have no data service with the on-board wifi, it cannot connect for nav etc.

I have found this issue on BMW forums and seemingly within the wifi settings in the BMW, you can tell the wifi NOT to access internet. I can see no such options with the Mach E.

This is very frustrating. I called Apple who said they confirmed my logic on phone prioritizing wifi for data but said it is Ford's problem, Ford, you can guess, said its Apple's issue.

Any help greatly appreciated ?

David
Sponsored

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Android does the same thing sometimes with Wireless Android Auto.

For me, i've found if the app was opened before starting androidauto, it will access the internet more consistently. But if I open an app fresh after that wifi connection is active, it tries to use that for internet and won't work.

I've seen other users post that when they connect iOS will ask them if they want to use cellular since it doesn't detect internet on that connection. But that doesn't seem to always happen.

murphy62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla S90D, 2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Connect the phone to a USB port for Carplay to use.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Oh, it gets better… if you do pay for the mobile hotspot, the wireless CarPlay doesn’t use that WiFi network, so you still don’t get internet data via WiFi.

In your settings, go to the cellular page, then scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page, where you will find a toggle for WiFi assist. Make sure that is toggled on. That tells the phone to use cellular data if the WiFi has no internet or is really slow.

OP
OP

nrgetic99

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium eAWD X
Country flag
Oh, it gets better… if you do pay for the mobile hotspot, the wireless CarPlay doesn’t use that WiFi network, so you still don’t get internet data via WiFi.

In your settings, go to the cellular page, then scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page, where you will find a toggle for WiFi assist. Make sure that is toggled on. That tells the phone to use cellular data if the WiFi has no internet or is really slow.
Thanks,

Tried this already but forgot to mention. Seems in iDrive for the BMW folks you can simply configure on board wifi not to do this. Ford support to date as much use a chocolate teapot ...

David

JGuske23

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD extended range
Occupation
Market manager
Country flag
Are you in a poor reception area? My understanding is wireless carplay and Android auto use wifi exclusively to project to the screen wirelessly and your data usage comes directly from your provider.