John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Finally paid attention to something this morning . . .

Every day when I have picked up my phone after driving to work, I have noticed the phone is very hot to the touch. I haven't paid attention to the battery percentage, but now I think I will. This is using wireless Apple CarPlay, Waze, and listening to a podcast.

This morning, for whatever reason, wireless CarPlay would not connect and not work. I keep a USB connector in the center storage for passengers, so I pulled it out, and CarPlay connected right away.

I noticed when I got to work - no warm phone.

My thought is that Wireless CarPlay is really using the radios in the phone to an extreme to connect and maintain that connection, really making the phone warm. Nothing seems to make a phone warmer than spinning up and heavily using those radios. Hopefully it connects not he way home and I can see if the wireless charging is keep up with that radio use - I haven't paid attention until this struck me.
Sponsored

JoeSmoeFromIDontKnow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER (canceled)
Country flag
Or, could it be the wireless charging pad making it warm? Try placing the phone in a different spot while using wireless CarPlay.

OP
OP
jhalkias

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Or, could it be the wireless charging pad making it warm? Try placing the phone in a different spot while using wireless CarPlay.
Good point. Will test that as well. Although I use a wireless charging pad at work, and the phone never gets warm on it, so it may be a combination of the two.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Finally paid attention to something this morning . . .

Every day when I have picked up my phone after driving to work, I have noticed the phone is very hot to the touch. I haven't paid attention to the battery percentage, but now I think I will. This is using wireless Apple CarPlay, Waze, and listening to a podcast.

This morning, for whatever reason, wireless CarPlay would not connect and not work. I keep a USB connector in the center storage for passengers, so I pulled it out, and CarPlay connected right away.

I noticed when I got to work - no warm phone.

My thought is that Wireless CarPlay is really using the radios in the phone to an extreme to connect and maintain that connection, really making the phone warm. Nothing seems to make a phone warmer than spinning up and heavily using those radios. Hopefully it connects not he way home and I can see if the wireless charging is keep up with that radio use - I haven't paid attention until this struck me.
My iPhone 12Pro is quite warm when used in Marlin as well but not really any worse than I get in other cars when running Waze continuously.

That's a nice theory but I can't seem to keep the iPhone charging continuously on the Qi charger. It connects fine but won't keep going while driving.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
It is one of the drawbacks of wireless CarPlay or Android Auto. They are both processor and radio intensive apps. Not only does it produce a lot of heat, the wireless charging can't always keep up. I'm a little concerned about the long term effects of stressing the battery so much.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
My Pixel 3a is warm after driving. Most likely from the CPU and RF lifting required for Android Auto. This phone doesn't support Qi charging.

Separate issue, but FordPass phone as a key is a battery hog. Uses roughly 15% of usable battery with the phone just sitting still, outside of vehicle range for about 7 hours.

The FordPass feature to track my journeys also send like a significant battery hog so I turned that off. I really want the key to work nicely though... So I've disabled battery optimizations for FordPass.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Good point. Will test that as well. Although I use a wireless charging pad at work, and the phone never gets warm on it, so it may be a combination of the two.
Wireless charging, while doing anything on the phone will definitely warm it up. You're basically putting as much energy into the battery as the phone is pulling. So this warms up the battery.

I have stopped using the wireless charger just because it doesn't charge the phone fast enough. Plugging it in will let it get up to 100% charge and not keep trying to charge while also running AA.

OP
OP
jhalkias

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
So this morning I did not put the phone on the pad while driving here. Phone was not hot, lost 4% of battery by using Wireless Carplay with Waze and a podcast playing on a 45 minute drive. Apparently the hot phone is more related to the wireless charging pad than the radios spinning up. Starting to think on a long trip it may be better to plug the phone into USB than to use that wireless pad. It sure is convenient over plugging in. The energy loss to heat is probably negligible - just wonder if it harms the phone to always be charging on the pad and getting so warm.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
It is one of the drawbacks of wireless CarPlay or Android Auto. They are both processor and radio intensive apps. Not only does it produce a lot of heat, the wireless charging can't always keep up. I'm a little concerned about the long term effects of stressing the battery so much.
I might just plug my iPhone in, just as we do on our Raptor. I’m hoping that will bypass some of the issues we’re seeing.

Pure speculation on my cppart as I’m sans Mach-e. So what would I know anyway?

Daraiders76

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Premium, 2008 Acura MDX, 2002 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
I just started a similar thread not seeing this one first. Is there a way to disable wireless charging?

OP
OP
jhalkias

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I just started a similar thread not seeing this one first. Is there a way to disable wireless charging?
Yes, move the phone to the other side of the pad. ? (Or put an adequate barrier under the phone)

EV Lab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME 4XE, Ford F-150, Honda Civic EV conversion
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I noticed my phone (Samsung Galaxy S21+) also gets very hot. It's also charging really slowly, if at all. I suspect the thickness of the rubber mat in the console plus my case makes the wireless charging really inefficient and is causing the excessive heating. For now, I just use USB.

Cnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Corvette Stingray, 2021 Mach E premium SR RWD
Country flag
My iPhone 12Pro is quite warm when used in Marlin as well but not really any worse than I get in other cars when running Waze continuously.

That's a nice theory but I can't seem to keep the iPhone charging continuously on the Qi charger. It connects fine but won't keep going while driving.
Have you rotated the phone 180 degrees? I have a Samsung but I had this same issue until I flipped it around. Granted wireless charging can't keep up with wireless Android auto and Waze going but it helps.

PrimeFuture

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium RWD ER, 2013 Ford Focus
Country flag
Buy a OnePlus phone that doesn't have wireless charging. :D
Sponsored