Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
I'm loving my MME but after a week I'm wishing I had more data-

1. After a charge, I like to compare the charger input kWh with what the Mach-E says it got. You get this information in the Ford Pass App when you first finish charging but then that bit of information disappears from the log. Why? It helps pinpoint charging efficiency. I just have to make sure to get it immediately before I start the car.

2. Shouldn't we get something live - like kW currently being consumed? I know "This Trip" shows some good stuff but the dash could show a live value. I'm sure this metric goes into driving efficiency. Why can't I see it?

3. In my Fusion Hybrid you get lots of feedback on charging while coasting & braking. The MME braking coach is fine (shouldn't you get it in all three modes?) but it would be good to know (how little) kWh you actually add back on coasting and braking. I've been lucky enough once to catch a percentage uptick coasting down a very large hill on the interstate. I'm sure it had just clicked down a percent before the crest of the hill but it made me happy to add something back!

4. Battery Temperature. Why can't I see the battery temp? Not that its necessary but this is monitored and the batteries undergo heating and cooling as needed. I'm sure they have a wide operating temp range but it would still be nice to educate myself on the values and when they need heat and cooling.

5. Motor Temperature. I'm sure this is monitored, too. Again, its just fun to watch these values and with a technical wizard of a car there's no reason to be hiding so much info.

6. Sure glad I have tire pressure!
Sponsored

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
I don't know why Ford treats us EV drivers like we're children - like all those numbers will confuse us! Even a basic "how much more braking can you do before going to friction brakes" kind of feedback would be useful. I'm sure charging speed would be out of the question as well 🙄

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
We do need more flexibility. I think Ford is treating this too much like a transition vehicle from ICE to BEV. The displays should be configurable based on the level of data you want. Pick which level of complexity and detail you want to see.

Level 1: ICE driver
Level 2: Noob BEV driver
Level 3: Experienced BEV driver
Level 4: Expert BEV driver
Level 5: Emotional Damage

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
We do need more flexibility. I think Ford is treating this too much like a transition vehicle from ICE to BEV. The displays should be configurable based on the level of data you want. Pick which level of complexity and detail you want to see.

Level 1: ICE driver
Level 2: Noob BEV driver
Level 3: Experienced BEV driver
Level 4: Expert BEV driver
Level 5: Emotional Damage
Level 5 is too true

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
The data from the CarScanner app is fantastic. I bet you can get everything you need from that, but the drawback is it is disconnected from the Internet. I use an old Android phone and then email data to my PC using my home WiFi connection. The graphing capabilities in the app are really good also.

Another option is Tronity, which connects to the Ford network to download data from your car in "near" real time. It requires a subscription and I am signed up. I love it. If you want to sign up using my referral link, your trial period will be extended from 2 weeks to 4 weeks. Also, if you decide to pay for a subscription, I will get a free month. https://app.tronity.io/signup/OoGngpXHE

Anyway, here is a sample of a few screenshots from Tronity.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Wish I had more DATA! 1652823854094

Ford Mustang Mach-E Wish I had more DATA! 1652823950559

Ford Mustang Mach-E Wish I had more DATA! 1652824043772

OP
OP

RedRider

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Car scanner app and BLE DLC adaptor. 16 pages of PID.
I got an OBDLink CX to attach to ABRP. I also thought about Tronity. I haven't had time to fully integrate it, yet. Hopefully I will this afternoon. I've seen a couple of screen shots of ABRP with OBD connections and it may give me what I'm looking for.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I got an OBDLink CX to attach to ABRP. I also thought about Tronity. I haven't had time to fully integrate it, yet. Hopefully I will this afternoon. I've seen a couple of screen shots of ABRP with OBD connections and it may give me what I'm looking for.
I paid for the ABRP OBDII update but I don't use it. You don't want to keep the scanner plugged into your OBD port, because hackers can access your car. So you have to keep plugging it in every time you want to use it. Big hassle. I do it when I plan a long drive, just to log the drive, but I read about problems with ABRP navigation and decided it is not worth doing on a regular basis.

The Ford nav is really good, and add in The Google Maps, and why do I need ABRP? I use ABRP when planning a trip, not while actually going on a trip. If you get something good out of it, please share, because maybe I will change my mind.

Just thoughts to consider.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
The data from the CarScanner app is fantastic. I bet you can get everything you need from that, but the drawback is it is disconnected from the Internet. I use an old Android phone and then email data to my PC using my home WiFi connection. The graphing capabilities in the app are really good also.

Another option is Tronity, which connects to the Ford network to download data from your car in "near" real time. It requires a subscription and I am signed up. I love it. If you want to sign up using my referral link, your trial period will be extended from 2 weeks to 4 weeks. Also, if you decide to pay for a subscription, I will get a free month. https://app.tronity.io/signup/OoGngpXHE

Anyway, here is a sample of a few screenshots from Tronity.

Signed up with your link. Looks cool so far!

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I paid for the ABRP OBDII update but I don't use it. You don't want to keep the scanner plugged into your OBD port, because hackers can access your car. So you have to keep plugging it in every time you want to use it. Big hassle. I do it when I plan a long drive, just to log the drive, but I read about problems with ABRP navigation and decided it is not worth doing on a regular basis.

The Ford nav is really good, and add in The Google Maps, and why do I need ABRP? I use ABRP when planning a trip, not while actually going on a trip. If you get something good out of it, please share, because maybe I will change my mind.

Just thoughts to consider.
Yes ABRP is horrible for actual navigation, and Tronity might serve my interest in data stats without leaving an OBD in my car plugged in. In fact, I left an expensive OBDLink MX+ plugged into my MME -- this is the one that has some hacker protection in only allowing BT pairing for a small amount of time when it starts up, and allegedly it shuts off to not drain your battery -- and the dongle drained my 12V and my MME noted the drain overnight.

Like @mkhuffman these dongles are useful for long trips. I have several dashboards letting me monitor my efficiency and also charging speeds from my car. But not worth it to me to leave an OBD-II plugged in on an every-day basis.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
allegedly it shuts off to not drain your battery -- and the dongle drained my 12V and my MME noted the drain overnight.
So my dongle does not drain the battery unless I have a Bluetooth connection established with the CarScanner app and the app is actively reading data from the car. I can't say what your dongle does when connected, but I believe the reason the LVB drains is due to all the modules running that are providing data to CarScanner. If your monitoring solution isn't running, connecting a dongle shouldn't drain the battery.

Unless your dongle is a power hog. Which would mean my dongle is better than your dongle. And I bet, my dongle is bigger than your dongle. Much bigger. Are we still talking about OBDII scanners?

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
So my dongle does not drain the battery unless I have a Bluetooth connection established with the CarScanner app and the app is actively reading data from the car. I can't say what your dongle does when connected, but I believe the reason the LVB drains is due to all the modules running that are providing data to CarScanner. If your monitoring solution isn't running, connecting a dongle shouldn't drain the battery.

Unless your dongle is a power hog. Which would mean my dongle is better than your dongle. And I bet, my dongle is bigger than your dongle. Much bigger. Are we still talking about OBDII scanners?
I tihnk the phone I had connected to the dongle kept the connection even when I took it in my house through the steel garage fire door. I left that extra phone near-ish the door and voila! a battery that needed a jump from my new HVBJB :) I just don't want to take this chance anymore, I still have some PTSD from anything related to the battery system going wrong.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

Kennykustom

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium awd lr
Country flag
I use mine for abrp as well, but have not seen any real data there. Have any screenshots ?
Sponsored