Within remorse period, am I being too nit picky?

Platitude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jetta TDI: Edge; Escape; Fusion Energi; Mach E
Country flag
Just picked up my Mach E (RWD/Standard/Premium) and about 80% in love with it, but there are a few things that are nagging at me wondering if I should use the buyer’s remorse law in WA and back out.

- Buzzing on the instrument screen: This seems to be a common issue when searching here. I‘ve worked in electronics for a while and from my experience this is definitely electrical, either a bad component in the backlight PWM module or Ford isn’t sending enough current to the instrument cluster.

- Wind noise, I didn’t think I’d be bothered here, but this does seem louder than my Fusion Energi did at 50+ MPH. I used a decibel measure and at high speeds the wind is the loudest and I’m measuring around 65 db. Anyone else hearing noise that loud? Pano roof seals seem good. I also notice that I hear a lot more outside noise from the passenger side than the driver side, enough so that I’ve found myself double checking I didn’t have the windows cracked open.

- Phone as a Key is an unreliable joke of a feature right now. The Ford Pass app in general has been really buggy. It’s taken a day and a half for me to be able to switch my preference in the app from KmH/KPa to mph/psi because of some “error” that’s completely non-descriptive of what the actual issue is. This isn’t unsolvable as I can order an extra fob, by why should I need to?

Some of this I know is growing pains going into a first gen model, but with an established company like Ford I had pretty high expectations.

On the one hand, I really love the body/style/handling and overall feel of the car, on the other these types of faults I’m finding on what I was hoping to be a 5-8 year ride has me second guessing.

Anyone with the car more than a few days that can weigh in on their thoughts? Are some of these break-in period type issues for the car that seem to quiet down (or you at least notice it far less) as you’ve put more miles in?
Sponsored

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Just picked up my Mach E (RWD/Standard/Premium) and about 80% in love with it, but there are a few things that are nagging at me wondering if I should use the buyer’s remorse law in WA and back out.

- Buzzing on the instrument screen: This seems to be a common issue when searching here. I‘ve worked in electronics for a while and from my experience this is definitely electrical, either a bad component in the backlight PWM module or Ford isn’t sending enough current to the instrument cluster.

- Wind noise, I didn’t think I’d be bothered here, but this does seem louder than my Fusion Energi did at 50+ MPH. I used a decibel measure and at high speeds the wind is the loudest and I’m measuring around 65 db. Anyone else hearing noise that loud? Pano roof seals seem good. I also notice that I hear a lot more outside noise from the passenger side than the driver side, enough so that I’ve found myself double checking I didn’t have the windows cracked open.

- Phone as a Key is an unreliable joke of a feature right now. The Ford Pass app in general has been really buggy. It’s taken a day and a half for me to be able to switch my preference in the app from KmH/KPa to mph/psi because of some “error” that’s completely non-descriptive of what the actual issue is. This isn’t unsolvable as I can order an extra fob, by why should I need to?

Some of this I know is growing pains going into a first gen model, but with an established company like Ford I had pretty high expectations.

On the one hand, I really love the body/style/handling and overall feel of the car, on the other these types of faults I’m finding on what I was hoping to be a 5-8 year ride has me second guessing.

Anyone with the car more than a few days that can weigh in on their thoughts? Are some of these break-in period type issues for the car that seem to quiet down (or you at least notice it far less) as you’ve put more miles in?
I have had mine a bit over two months now. Took me a couple of weeks to sort things out but I love it and would not consider getting rid of it.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I have had mine a bit over two months now. Took me a couple of weeks to sort things out but I love it and would not consider getting rid of it.
Most of the issues I initially thought I had simply involved me learning more about the car. I had a list of about 12 "issues." They were all resolved by more carefully reading the manual, playing with settings, etc. The one exception was the dealer had put the wrong door code card in my car. That was the easiest fix ever. I have never noticed a buzz from the screen (but I have never listened for it--it does not bother me so I don't care even if it is there with careful measurement) and my wind noise is lower than it was in my Bolt, lower than in our RAV 4, and totally acceptable to me. Remember that when you get rid of ICE noise, you can hear the wind (and everything else) better.

capt_jak_harkness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
So my thoughts on your issues:

• Screen Buzz: IF this is an actual defect, Ford will fix it in the future so no issues. IF Ford doesn't deem it an issue then more than likely it's something that you'll acclimate to over time. Personally, I don't think this is a big deal.
  • Wind Noise: You already state you can live with this. Again, I feel like I notice wind noise in this car more because it's so quiet compared to my previous ICE car. Since you're already coming from an EV maybe you have a better comparison and more realistic expectation. Personally, I can live with this as I only notice it when I am looking for it.
  • PaaK: This will likely get better over time with OTAs. Also, some people have just learned the quirks and it now "works" for them. Personally I'm just carrying the fob until it's all sorted.
Overall, if you love the looks/styling of the car then I think the things listed above are trivial.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
I don't know I joined in 2019 when I ordered the maki, wasn't expecting perfection, actually had no idea what to expect. But I joined this forum I have rode and commented along with a lot of others. It's interesting that I see somebody that joined the forum of few minutes ago not part of this electric ponies journey. And our experience isn't just logging in creating a username and deciding to comment on the vehicle. We admittedly have a stronger connection, and that would possibly create a bias, but from Toyota's to tesla's, from Fords to Fiats this is one of the most unique cars we've driven. So if your aim was to get responses, and clicks maybe you'll achieve that, but I have my doubts the same feelings would come from a real owner of this fantastic electric vehicle produced by a centuries old vehicle manufacturer. Its more revealing of your goal, than real world experience. Count me as biting at your bait, but my reward is spitting it out and driving this wonderful vehicle with a rare grin on a daily basis.

Last edited:

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Test drive a Tesla to see how quiet your MME really is.

OP
OP
Platitude

Platitude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't know I joined in 2019 when I ordered the maki, wasn't expecting perfection, actually had no idea what to expect. But I joined this forum I have rode and commented along with a lot of others. It's interesting that I see somebody that the form of few minutes ago with that of people that certainly didn't design, didn't manufacture, but road and have been part of this electric ponies journey. And our experience isn't just logging in creating a username and deciding to comment on the vehicle. We admittedly have a stronger connection, and that would possibly create a bias. Goodbye society from Toyota's to tesla's, from Fords to Fiats this is one of the most unique cars we've driven. So if your aim was to get responses, and clicks maybe you'll achieve that. But I have my doubts at the same feelings would come from a real owner of this fantastic electric vehicle produced by a centuries old vehicle manufacturer.
Well, you’re a cynical one. ? I may be new to the forum, but I’ve been following the Mach E since it was announced and was looking forward to my purchase.

I’m not asking for designer/manufacturer input, I’m asking perspectives from fellow owners. I’ve owned Fords for the past 8 years and have been thoroughly pleased. The issues I’m finding I’m wondering if it gets better with age or if it’s something that continues to be a problem. And because I’m within my three day window, I find different perspectives valuable.

OP
OP
Platitude

Platitude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Most of the issues I initially thought I had simply involved me learning more about the car. I had a list of about 12 "issues." They were all resolved by more carefully reading the manual, playing with settings, etc. The one exception was the dealer had put the wrong door code card in my car. That was the easiest fix ever. I have never noticed a buzz from the screen (but I have never listened for it--it does not bother me so I don't care even if it is there with careful measurement) and my wind noise is lower than it was in my Bolt, lower than in our RAV 4, and totally acceptable to me. Remember that when you get rid of ICE noise, you can hear the wind (and everything else) better.
This is great to hear. I do think it may just me being having purchase anxiety (typical with anything over $100 for me ?.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
Well, you’re a cynical one. ? I may be new to the forum, but I’ve been following the Mach E since it was announced and was looking forward to my purchase.

I’m not asking for designer/manufacturer input, I’m asking perspectives from fellow owners. I’ve owned Fords for the past 8 years and have been thoroughly pleased. The issues I’m finding I’m wondering if it gets better with age or if it’s something that continues to be a problem. And because I’m within my three day window, I find different perspectives valuable.
I apologize if I come off cynical, it's just your thread title seemed a bit ominous. Granted we only have 772 MI and just over 32 days of ownership, but it's one of the finest vehicles we've had.

OP
OP
Platitude

Platitude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So my thoughts on your issues:

• Screen Buzz: IF this is an actual defect, Ford will fix it in the future so no issues. IF Ford doesn't deem it an issue then more than likely it's something that you'll acclimate to over time. Personally, I don't think this is a big deal.
  • Wind Noise: You already state you can live with this. Again, I feel like I notice wind noise in this car more because it's so quiet compared to my previous ICE car. Since you're already coming from an EV maybe you have a better comparison and more realistic expectation. Personally, I can live with this as I only notice it when I am looking for it.
  • PaaK: This will likely get better over time with OTAs. Also, some people have just learned the quirks and it now "works" for them. Personally I'm just carrying the fob until it's all sorted.
Overall, if you love the looks/styling of the car then I think the things listed above are trivial.
Thanks. On the Wind noise I’m thinking it‘s more to do with the pano roof, and might be something I just need to get used to.

Hopefully Ford does live up to their OTA promise, and doesn’t fall into the Android manufacturer trap.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
Just got done with 100 mile round trip drive and it's one of the quietest vehicles we've had. And the Infinity QX80 is an incredibly quiet vehicle. The MachE it's quieter.

OP
OP
Platitude

Platitude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I apologize if I come off cynical, it's just your thread title seemed a bit ominous. Granted we only have 772 MI and just over 32 days of ownership, but it's one of the finest vehicles we've had.
It’s cool, unfortunately the state of the internet today it’s easy to default to someone new being a troll or bot, so I understand.

Good to hear you’ve been completely satisfied, it helps to hear.

OP
OP
Platitude

Platitude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Test drive a Tesla to see how quiet your MME really is.
Not sure a Tesla’s a good comparison. They have the tech/range advantage, but when it comes to build quality, I’ve seen more than a few glaring issues first hand from friend’s purchases.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
We've gotten over 330 MI on our first edition which is only supposed to be 270. Can't say you'll get the same but this is driving at 69 to 74 mph. My brother and his wife have a model X, and it always tells them they have more miles than they actually get. The MachE seems to under promise and over deliver.

Darken

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Prius Prime, 2021 Mach-E Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
To be fair I think your post and concerns are reasonable and valid. I do not personally feel they would make me pursue a buyers remorse issue but that's for every individual to decide.

I've experienced every issue you listed and then some and after 2 months and 2500 miles and a new front end put on the car thanks to a friendly deer, I would never consider returning the vehicle. I feel despite the minor issues Ford delivered on their promise and released an exceptional electric car.

As for your issues here are my thoughts:

I have the screen buzz but don't notice it at all, even with no music playing.
I hear the wind noise but again it's not distracting or bothersome to me in the least.
Fordpass just plain sucks...whether it be PAAK, charging info or general information I find it to be worthless and unreliable. I would say it can only get better, but when they add features they seem to break others that worked so I'm not very confident in it's improvement. Fortunately it's not required to enjoy the vehicle so I rarely open it anymore.

Best of luck with your choice, but I personally would definitely stick it out.
Sponsored