Within remorse period, am I being too nit picky?

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Not sure a Tesla’s a good comparison. They have the tech/range advantage, but when it comes to build quality, I’ve seen more than a few glaring issues first hand from friend’s purchases.
The ID.4 is probably the best comparison for cabin noise, as it's another example of a well-built BEV in the same price range. I've seen a few video reviews of the ID.4, and the comparisons to the MME (with respect to cabin noise at highway speeds) reveals the two cars are closely matched.

I agree with the Tesla...on my test drive of a MY there were a lot of creaks and rattles; not the sort of thing one wants to hear when driving a new car.
Sponsored

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I think that’s going to be the biggest thing for me if I stick with it too. If something ends up not going as promised with the OTAs or quality longer term, I think it might finally push me to trying other brands that will be launching EVs over the next few years. I really hope that isn’t the case, I made this leap because Ford has proven themselves over the past several cars for me.

Thanks for the tip on the dealer. I’ll follow up with them.
I really hope so too, I want to keep this Mach-E as long as possible.

I just want the screen to not buzz.

I also would prefer PAAK to work, Plug&Charge to work, charging to hold 150 kW for longer than 2 minutes and not fall off a cliff at 80%, charging speed to be displayed on the screen, a hotkey on the center screen to open the cameras, and to use the cameras I paid for to record video while driving. All of those seem easily implementable via OTA.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
The ID.4 is probably the best comparison for cabin noise, as it's another example of a well-built BEV in the same price range. I've seen a few video reviews of the ID.4, and the comparisons to the MME (with respect to cabin noise at highway speeds) reveals the two cars are closely matched.

I agree with the Tesla...on my test drive of a MY there were a lot of creaks and rattles; not the sort of thing one wants to hear when driving a new car.
The ID.4 seemed maybe a bit louder? if so just a bit when I drove it.

Screens were dead silent though, made me actually jealous.

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E 4X, Jeep Wrangler 4XE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I think the answer to your question partly depends on your desire to have a BEV. There are plenty of ICE vehicles out there that are nearly flawless. They build 100's of thousands of them in a year, and you will likely find little if anything to question in terms of build quality. If you're committed to a BEV, then in my opinion you are driving the finest example currently available. There are definitely some character lines on this car, and although I find some of them charming, if I had excessive wind noise or instrument cluster buzzing, I would be upset too.

50k+ is too much money to second guess yourself on. If you can't see yourself enjoying your MME as it stands, it's probably best you find something that makes you smile when you see it.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Just picked up my Mach E (RWD/Standard/Premium) and about 80% in love with it, but there are a few things that are nagging at me wondering if I should use the buyer’s remorse law in WA and back out.

- Buzzing on the instrument screen: This seems to be a common issue when searching here. I‘ve worked in electronics for a while and from my experience this is definitely electrical, either a bad component in the backlight PWM module or Ford isn’t sending enough current to the instrument cluster.

- Wind noise, I didn’t think I’d be bothered here, but this does seem louder than my Fusion Energi did at 50+ MPH. I used a decibel measure and at high speeds the wind is the loudest and I’m measuring around 65 db. Anyone else hearing noise that loud? Pano roof seals seem good. I also notice that I hear a lot more outside noise from the passenger side than the driver side, enough so that I’ve found myself double checking I didn’t have the windows cracked open.

- Phone as a Key is an unreliable joke of a feature right now. The Ford Pass app in general has been really buggy. It’s taken a day and a half for me to be able to switch my preference in the app from KmH/KPa to mph/psi because of some “error” that’s completely non-descriptive of what the actual issue is. This isn’t unsolvable as I can order an extra fob, by why should I need to?

Some of this I know is growing pains going into a first gen model, but with an established company like Ford I had pretty high expectations.

On the one hand, I really love the body/style/handling and overall feel of the car, on the other these types of faults I’m finding on what I was hoping to be a 5-8 year ride has me second guessing.

Anyone with the car more than a few days that can weigh in on their thoughts? Are some of these break-in period type issues for the car that seem to quiet down (or you at least notice it far less) as you’ve put more miles in?
Valid points, and those are some known issues that many have reported.

Personally, I'm not really finding much wind noise. In fact, it's striking how quiet mine is relative to my Escape (which is fairly quiet itself). I do hear some wind noise (there's always going to be some), but it's mostly because it's such a quiet car otherwise and about the only noticeable noise (with the radio off) is the wind. But I always have the radio on so overall I find it very quiet.

My driver screen has the buzz too. I read about that before I got mine and was worried about it, but turned out it's a lot lower volume than I was expecting. I don't even notice it unless I'm sitting in the car when it's not moving and with radio off, and put my ear closer to it.

So yes, those are a couple of "cons", but they're minor to me and offset by a ton of "pros". Like for instance, the climate fan blows much quieter than most vehicles. And the tires have very little road noise. And the sound system is quite good (after adjusting the tone/fade/balance). Overall, I find the sound/noise to be a big net plus.

My bigger "cons" are the rougher ride than I expected (feel the bumps more than I do in my Escape that cost half as much), and the too-touchy brake pedal. But similarly, I can live with those cons because there are so many other pros. Every car has it's pros and cons. There are no "10" cars. I'd give the MME an 8 right now, and I expect it to be a 9 when Ford fixes the variety of software bugs OTA, and the EA charging issues improve.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Simple question: what other vehicle is out there that does everything you want within your price range?

Remember that Ford has acknowledged the roof issue and Forum members have fixed it with a lead of calk or strip or rubber filler. PaaK is improving and will continue to improve.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Also, when comparing to other vehicles, it's fair to compare within similar price class. And when comparing to ICE vehicles, we should subtract the $7500 federal tax credit (that really passes through to the manufacturer in the form of a higher price), and another $10k or so for the battery premium. In other words, for the rest of the car, the base MME should really be compared with a $30k-$35k ICE, and a loaded Premium MME compares to a $40k-$45k ICE. Not luxury vehicles that cost 10's of thousand more.

For that price point, the MME compares very favorably.

ski99

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90, Prius
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I tried for fun with my apple watch serie 6, I have 58 dB at 60mph, yours is definitely too loud!
Another reference point for wind noise (Premium with glass roof). I measured cabin noise with a free db app on my iPhone. I was getting 67-70 db at 70mph with a cross wind. I note the cross wind because it makes a big difference. Without a cross wind I measured 65 db or less.

I did the same test in my wife's new Volvo XC90 which I consider to be very quiet. It measured 64-65 db without a cross wind and 67-68 with a cross wind. So the Mach E was very similar.

The wind noise bothered me at first so I did a test with automotive weather stripping. I used 5/16" adhesive backed trim to cover the gap on the sides of the windshield & fill the gap between the windshield and roof. It seemed a little quieter to my ear, but the db numbers were not that different. I should probably re-run the test on a calm day and take the trim off to get a good before/after comparison.

I don't even notice the trim now, so I have left it in place.

IMG-1813.jpg

Evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
Buzzing on the instrument screen
I have this and can’t hear a thing when the radio is on. Sucks that it exists, but honestly not really perceptible unless I’m sitting in my garage with the radio off going through settings. Turn on your favorite tunes

Wind noise
I was a little surprised by this as well on the test drive. Was like I had a sunroof open. Haven’t attempted the weather stripping but might do that. I solved it by turning the radio on. Same as item #1. Also, It’s much quieter than any other car I have....

Phone as a Key
Patience is key here. I don’t have the fob and have never used it. iPhone - I leave the Ford app open. Most times I push the door button and it works. Every once in a while I push it once, wait a beat or two and push again once I know Bluetooth had paired. I then enter and immediately push the ON button, and 99% of the time it says “key not found”. Then put my seat belt on, and press again. Sometimes it works. Sometimes no. If it doesn’t I grab my phone from my pocket and put it on the wireless charger and press the ON button again. That always does it.
Every time I’ve had success with this methodology. It’s annoying that it can’t be as accurate as the fob, also annoying I can’t leave the phone in my pocket, but I’ve never had a problem getting it started. Ultimately this whole process takes about 15 seconds so not really a big deal and I’d rather do this than have that giant fob in my pocket.

Hang in there. Mostly I’ve found my gripes die down after I get accustomed to the oddities of the car and have a bit more patience with it.

John_C

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium RWD Ext Range Infinite Blue 3/3/2021
Occupation
TV
Country flag
Well, you’re a cynical one. ? I may be new to the forum, but I’ve been following the Mach E since it was announced and was looking forward to my purchase.

I’m not asking for designer/manufacturer input, I’m asking perspectives from fellow owners. I’ve owned Fords for the past 8 years and have been thoroughly pleased. The issues I’m finding I’m wondering if it gets better with age or if it’s something that continues to be a problem. And because I’m within my three day window, I find different perspectives valuable.
Hi @Platitude and congrats on your purchase. I've had my Premium RWD for six weeks now and have not noticed any of the issues you're mentioning. No internal buzzing from any source that I've noticed, and the car itself is quiet as a mouse. I'd suggest you have the dealer take a look at those issues.

As for Phone As A Key -- I agree with you. This is a hairball of a problem for Ford and I've abandoned it until they sort it out. Besides, I find something very comforting about having a key fob in my pocket all the time.

My big issue right now is the inconsistencies in the way the various public charging vendors work with the MME. I found Electrify America to be the best, but even its network appears to be riddled with issues. ChargePoint's throughput (6-9 kW) is a joke at the charging stations around here (I live in NorCal / SF Bay area). This really has to improve IMHO.

Overall my advice would be: hang in there. I love my car and I'm betting you will, too, once you get a dealer involved with the aftercare issues you've mentioned.

OP
OP
Platitude

Platitude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jetta TDI: Edge; Escape; Fusion Energi; Mach E
Country flag
Another reference point for wind noise (Premium with glass roof). I measured cabin noise with a free db app on my iPhone. I was getting 67-70 db at 70mph with a cross wind. I note the cross wind because it makes a big difference. Without a cross wind I measured 65 db or less.

I did the same test in my wife's new Volvo XC90 which I consider to be very quiet. It measured 64-65 db without a cross wind and 67-68 with a cross wind. So the Mach E was very similar.

The wind noise bothered me at first so I did a test with automotive weather stripping. I used 5/16" adhesive backed trim to cover the gap on the sides of the windshield & fill the gap between the windshield and roof. It seemed a little quieter to my ear, but the db numbers were not that different. I should probably re-run the test on a calm day and take the trim off to get a good before/after comparison.

I don't even notice the trim now, so I have left it in place.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Within remorse period, am I being too nit picky? IMG-1813
I'll give it a shot too, it does seem the gaps are maybe just too large. ?‍♂

OP
OP
Platitude

Platitude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jetta TDI: Edge; Escape; Fusion Energi; Mach E
Country flag
Hi @Platitude and congrats on your purchase. I've had my Premium RWD for six weeks now and have not noticed any of the issues you're mentioning. No internal buzzing from any source that I've noticed, and the car itself is quiet as a mouse. I'd suggest you have the dealer take a look at those issues.

As for Phone As A Key -- I agree with you. This is a hairball of a problem for Ford and I've abandoned it until they sort it out. Besides, I find something very comforting about having a key fob in my pocket all the time.

My big issue right now is the inconsistencies in the way the various public charging vendors work with the MME. I found Electrify America to be the best, but even its network appears to be riddled with issues. ChargePoint's throughput (6-9 kW) is a joke at the charging stations around here (I live in NorCal / SF Bay area). This really has to improve IMHO.

Overall my advice would be: hang in there. I love my car and I'm betting you will, too, once you get a dealer involved with the aftercare issues you've mentioned.
Thanks! Second day and another 40 miles in and I'm feeling much better, especially with the comments here on the thread.

I did find that turning the brightness down on the cluster did quiet the buzz a good amount, and was still readable within daylight. Definitely a hardware issue so hopefully they'll address, but tolerable now.

bruceski88

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Thanks! Second day and another 40 miles in and I'm feeling much better, especially with the comments here on the thread.

I did find that turning the brightness down on the cluster did quiet the buzz a good amount, and was still readable within daylight. Definitely a hardware issue so hopefully they'll address, but tolerable now.
I have had mine a week. I cannot really hear instrument screen or glass roof noise. I put the instrument screen on dark mode. Even my music teacher wife doesn’t notice any noise, it is quiter than her lexus. Paak works OK for me too. So far other than the tires I can’t find another nit to pick. Best vehicle I have ever owned.
Sponsored