D4rkt

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Ford Escape, 2021 MME Premium ER
Country flag
My Mach-E has developed a condition where it will not charge on my home Level 2 charger. This came about last Wednesday night. I plugged my car in that night and when I woke up I discovered it had not charged at all. Here's what I managed to assess over the past several days.
1. My Mach-E will not charge on my home EVSE (Grizzl-E) level 2 charger.
2. My Mach-E will not charge using the vehicle supplied Ford EVSE using the 240 VAC plug
3. The Mach-E will charge using the vehicle supplied Ford EVSE using the 120 VAC plug.
4. When trying to use the Level 2 charging system after about 30 minutes I receive a "SERVICE VEHICLE SOON" notification on my dash display along with an amber wrench icon in the info window below.
5. Both the vehicle charge port and EVSE indicator lights indicate that the car is charging when it's not.
6. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the FordPass app and established my charging preferences again (Plug in to charge anytime).
7. I have also established my charging preferences via the main vehicle screen via the CHARGE window.
8. I have not attempted to DC fast charge the vehicle since a DCFC station is not conveniently located in my area.

I took my vehicle to the dealership and had them look at it on Friday and they said they could not find an issue with the charging system. I found out that they only put the car on a level 1 charger which as I mentioned above appears to work albeit painfully slow (2-4 miles range per hour charge). I plan on returning to the dealership armed with my new data and photos. In the mean time any ideas on what the problem could be? A bad AC-DC converter? Does a block diagram or simple schematic exist that show the components of the charging system? Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
D4rkt

D4rkt

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OP
OP
D4rkt

D4rkt

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Scooby24's link is worth investigating. Another possibility is that the 240V circuit at your home is wired incorrectly or something is malfunctioning in it.
Yes indeed. Thanks.

I don't believe my EVSE outlet is an issue. I checked the voltages on the contacts and they are nominal. L1 to L2 is 240VAC and L1 to Neut is 120 VAC same for L2. I've been charging on this system for the past 5500 miles with no issues up until Wednesday night. Thanks for the reply.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Yes indeed. Thanks.

I don't believe my EVSE outlet is an issue. I checked the voltages on the contacts and they are nominal. L1 to L2 is 240VAC and L1 to Neut is 120 VAC same for L2. I've been charging on this system for the past 5500 miles with no issues up until Wednesday night. Thanks for the reply.
It's important to check the ground wire, too.

The neutral wire should not be used when you are charging at 240V. But the ground wire is used for safety protections.

OP
OP
D4rkt

D4rkt

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There is a TSB related to issues with level 2 charging. Needs a software update from the dealer.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...-wrench-indicator-abs-lamp-on-with-dtcs.6699/
Well here's an update to my Level 2 charging anomaly. I brought the car to the dealer today and they performed the software loads per the TSB noted above. Here's their official statement on the work order:
"Diagnosed customer concern that the vehicle will not charge at home on a level 2 charger. No Codes. TSB 21=2171 for concern. Program PCM, ABS. BECM and SOBDMC. Clear codes. BAse #10B689. 000108029"

Unfortunately, when I got home and hooked up to my EVSE the vehicle it still would not charge. I received the same dash display notification window "Service vehicle soon". This also occurs when I use the Ford EVSE supplied with the car.
I once again measured voltages at the NEMA 14-50 receptacle on my wall feeding power to the EVSE with all voltages normal including the neutral and ground. I measured inside the EVSE at the AC input terminals and all voltages were normal.

It appears that neither I nor the dealership can find a solution at this time. Any more suggestions?

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Well here's an update to my Level 2 charging anomaly. I brought the car to the dealer today and they performed the software loads per the TSB noted above. Here's their official statement on the work order:
"Diagnosed customer concern that the vehicle will not charge at home on a level 2 charger. No Codes. TSB 21=2171 for concern. Program PCM, ABS. BECM and SOBDMC. Clear codes. BAse #10B689. 000108029"

Unfortunately, when I got home and hooked up to my EVSE the vehicle it still would not charge. I received the same dash display notification window "Service vehicle soon". This also occurs when I use the Ford EVSE supplied with the car.
I once again measured voltages at the NEMA 14-50 receptacle on my wall feeding power to the EVSE with all voltages normal including the neutral and ground. I measured inside the EVSE at the AC input terminals and all voltages were normal.

It appears that neither I nor the dealership can find a solution at this time. Any more suggestions?
Sounds like it's time to get @Ford Motor Company engaged

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag

Will it charge on a public L2? Or at someone else’s L2?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag

Looks like they missed (or forgot to mention?) the SOBDM (the charger) and SOBDMB module programming? If you are RWD then you wouldn't have the SOBDMB, but the SOBDM is the important one. To be clear, the TSB requires programming of all five/six modules. I'd bring it back and ask them to confirm that all five/six modules are fully up to date.

OP
OP
D4rkt

D4rkt

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Will it charge on a public L2? Or at someone else’s L2?
When I picked up my vehicle from the dealership (again) today they claimed that the car was charging and was on their level 2 charger for several hours. However when I got in the car and started it there was no increase in the percentage of charge or estimated range much to the surprise of the Service agent. So the dealership report that the car was charging was incorrect. And like I have observed on my home charging system, the EVSE and vehicle provide the proper charging light status but no actual charging is taking place. I'm trying to talk to Ford per the recommendation of Scooby24. So to answer you question, no. It will not charge on someone else's L2.

OP
OP
D4rkt

D4rkt

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It appears that I have a one -off problem with respect to my MME not charging on any level 2 charger. After 4 visits to the dealership and after they performed TSB 21-2171 (as mentioned above) and after assuming that my home EVSE or wiring was the problem, they finally agree that the car is not charging. Apparently they thought the was charging before because their level 2 charger was providing the proper charging indication when my MME was plugged in. Also the MME charger light segments were illuminated and blinking indicating that the car was charging. And if you went to the main screen and opened the Charge page it also indicated it was charging. Not to mention that on my FordPass app, the app said the car was charging and gave an estimated time to reach the desired charge level (which constantly grew later and later with every refresh). The problem is that not 1 kilowatt of energy was getting to the battery despite all the indications from the charger and car and despite how long the EVSE was plugged in. It was the fact that after a 4 hour "charge" on the dealership EVSE my MME did not show any increase in range or SOC that forced them into looking deeper into my problem.

Now that we all agree that my MME is not charging I'm going to take it back to the dealership tomorrow (Monday) where they said they will need to keep it for a few days and try to isolate the cause (I'm sure with the help of FMC). Ironically the car will charge on the Ford level 1 charger but I noticed that my grass grows faster than my SOC on Level 1.

Comments welcomed.

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
It appears that I have a one -off problem with respect to my MME not charging on any level 2 charger. After 4 visits to the dealership and after they performed TSB 21-2171 (as mentioned above) and after assuming that my home EVSE or wiring was the problem, they finally agree that the car is not charging. Apparently they thought the was charging before because their level 2 charger was providing the proper charging indication when my MME was plugged in. Also the MME charger light segments were illuminated and blinking indicating that the car was charging. And if you went to the main screen and opened the Charge page it also indicated it was charging. Not to mention that on my FordPass app, the app said the car was charging and gave an estimated time to reach the desired charge level (which constantly grew later and later with every refresh). The problem is that not 1 kilowatt of energy was getting to the battery despite all the indications from the charger and car and despite how long the EVSE was plugged in. It was the fact that after a 4 hour "charge" on the dealership EVSE my MME did not show any increase in range or SOC that forced them into looking deeper into my problem.

Now that we all agree that my MME is not charging I'm going to take it back to the dealership tomorrow (Monday) where they said they will need to keep it for a few days and try to isolate the cause (I'm sure with the help of FMC). Ironically the car will charge on the Ford level 1 charger but I noticed that my grass grows faster than my SOC on Level 1.

Comments welcomed.
I'm just thinking a bit about the information flow when you plug the charger in. There are indicators that the battery is charging but the system that gives you a read-out of the level of charge is not showing additional charge. So one of those two read-outs is incorrect. Is it possible that the battery is actually charging but that whatever software/hardware combination that informs on the amount of charge is not working properly? Not that you want to go out and test that by driving... Curious to hear how this turns out and hoping you get it resolved soon!
Sponsored