Worried about roof buffeting and slamming - possible fixes?

idkhow

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bateman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach-e premium, van down by the river
Occupation
it plumber, auto detailer
Country flag
  • Banned
Hi @Ford Motor Company ,

I write because I'm a bit worried about taking my vehicle above 1,000 miles. I've just hit over 500.

There are at least a few threads on there regarding roof's cracking, and I thought after seeing mine have a bit more rubber coverage I'd be alright.

This last weekend, while driving at under 50mph on a mildly hot day, the roof started to sound like a boiler ready to blow (we had one here)

There was an intense banging, to the point of I felt like I was in twilight zone and was going to look up to see a gremlin banging away at the roof

Only after hearing that this loud banging above our heads had a repetitive sound and pattern did I realize this was classic wind buffeting and it literally sounded like my roof was about to come off. At the time I didn't know usually this just causes them to crack, and quickly pulled over to a side street with my girlfriend (we were in her town)

I casually asked 'did you uhh... hear that' to see her eyes wide open and said 'yup.' I felt so bad i got her a spa day after seeing her face and stressed out. I expect a few bugs, but if there's a way to avoid damage, please let me know.

After reading the forum tonight and seeing other people encountering cracks in the area where I heard what I swear was about to come off, I'm wondering

a) if there's anything I can do like insert further weatherstripping to avoid this
b) drive in the meantime with gaffer or masking tape on highway trips? This literally sounded like someone with a hammer on the roof
c) is there a way for the dealer to fix this before it becomes cracked?

Thanks. I have been living with the non-working PaaK and haven't even gotten out of my temp plates yet. I know what I've gotten myself into with a first year vehicle, but the roof pounding noise (quickly got the hell off the highway when I realized it was buffeting on an 80 degree day) I'm starting to get a little worried.

Thanks for a brilliant vehicle (I swear I've had to become a people person because of it) and joining this forum to help us out.

All the best
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I'd take it to the dealer ASAP.

Make them take a ride with you so you can demonstrate it (so they can't give you the old "we took it for a ride and didn't see an issue").

OP
OP
idkhow

idkhow

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bateman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach-e premium, van down by the river
Occupation
it plumber, auto detailer
Country flag
  • Banned
Make them take a ride with you so you can demonstrate it (so they can't give you the old "we took it for a ride and didn't see an issue").
I haven't been able to duplicate it, albeit on a cooler drive home that day.

More worried I'll end up on a hot day this summer with the roof cracking out in some random part of Pennsylvania while on vacation.

Not much of a gap in the front of my roof like I saw other threads had, so it seems to be the newer design. But from what I heard, I was wondering if there was any mitigation beyond masking or gaffers tape.

Actually a bit worried it's not mounted fully flush or proper and is on the verge of coming off. Add the fact it's hard to duplicate and no visible issues yet, and I think I'm in for a rough summer, or a few rolls of gaffer tape

Fusionblu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach~E, Kia Telluride, BMW 335i
Occupation
IT fiddler
Country flag
I shared my experience in another thread. Whenever there is a change in temperature while driving the roof seems to make this creaking noise like its about to crack up. Scary sometimes.
Sponsored