First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach e Space White
Country flag
Hey everyone:

im looking at a 22s staggered setup for my AWD Select.

would this work? Any rubbing or damage i should be concerned about? What are the max tires sizes etc. I believe he mentioned 295s in the rear .
Sponsored

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hey everyone:

im looking at a 22s staggered setup for my AWD Select.

would this work? Any rubbing or damage i should be concerned about? What are the max tires sizes etc. I believe he mentioned 295s in the rear .
Hi Aman, personally I would stay away from 22's (and 21's) on the Mach-E. I know others have done it but they are not running tires that have the minimum load rating that Ford recommends.

So, you are looking at a staggered setup with 22's..... The overall diameter of the OEM Mach-E tires are 28.7" so you want to stay somewhere close to this. 295/30/22's are 29" so that is no problem and they have a load rating of 103 which is also good as that is the recommend rating for the Mach-E. One issue you will have is you need a wheel with at least a 10" width but 10.5" would be better. The offset has to be at least +45 to clear the suspension (rear upper shock mount) and that means the outer sidewall of your tire will stick out about 1/4" from the wheel lip moulding. So that is the rear tire, now the front you will have issues with the load rating. In order to get a tire up front that matches the diameter of the 295 rear tire, you need a 255/35/22 which will fit perfectly on a 9" wheel with an offset of about +32 to match the rear tire fitment that is sticking out about 1/4". Both tires are 29" diameter but the issue is, this 255 front tire has a load rating of 99 which is quite a bit below 103 and I don't recommend running this load range. Another issue with this is the only tire made in both of those two sizes is a Pirelli P-Zero which is a great tire but summer performance only, Cannot run this tire in the cold weather below 40˚ and certainly not on snow or ice.

The best thing you can do if you want to run 22's on the Mach-E is not a staggered setup but a square set up of 275/35/22's. They have a load rating of 104 which works but the diameter is 29.6 so about a full inch more than the stock sized tires. Because of the width of the 275's up front, you will need a decent offset to keep them away from the front strut and inner wheel well liner. Also while there are more types of tires to choose from in this size, you are still a bit limited.

When you go down to 21" tires, there aren't many more options than 22" for staggered. It is doable but you won't be staying within the load range needed and and can still have fitment issues with wide tires. Again, like 22's if you go a square setup of 275/35/21, those will fit with the proper range but this time a diameter very close to the OEM tires.

It's not until you get to 20" tires that you have a few decent options for a staggered setup and they all will have OEM or higher load ratings. To keep the OEM diameter go with 245/45/20 F, 275/40/20 R. Slightly larger diameter would be 255/45/20 F, 285/40/20 R and even a bit larger diameter, about 1/2" 265/45/20 R, 295/40/20 R. This last staggered setup has been used by quite a few members here including myself. The second staggered setup has very few tire type options compared to the first and third setup. There is one more staggered setup you can go with which is OEM diameter but extremely wide in the rear. 275/40/20 F and 315/35/20 R. This is the size I run during the summer with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires. I had to modify the rear shock upper mount so the tire would not rub against it with the slightly more negative camber I am running. Plus had to modify the rear inner fender lining. I do not recommend this staggered setup unless you don't mind the modding your car quite a bit. During the winter, like now, (our winters here only consist of 28˚-45˚ temps and light snow) I am running Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season Plus in the 265/45/20 F, 295/40/20 R sizes. If you want to run a wide square setup, I would recommend 275/40/20 as those are the widest you can fit up front and they are OEM diameter which makes it nice. Several members here run this 275 square set up.

Want to mention, running different staggered setups require different offsets and wheel sizes for front and rear if you want the tires to have the same fitment front and rear and it's not always easy to figure this out. There is a lot more that goes into running a staggered setup than just throwing on different sized tires.

OP
OP

aman27

First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach e Space White
Country flag
Hi Aman, personally I would stay away from 22's (and 21's) on the Mach-E. I know others have done it but they are not running tires that have the minimum load rating that Ford recommends.

So, you are looking at a staggered setup with 22's..... The overall diameter of the OEM Mach-E tires are 28.7" so you want to stay somewhere close to this. 295/30/22's are 29" so that is no problem and they have a load rating of 103 which is also good as that is the recommend rating for the Mach-E. One issue you will have is you need a wheel with at least a 10" width but 10.5" would be better. The offset has to be at least +45 to clear the suspension (rear upper shock mount) and that means the outer sidewall of your tire will stick out about 1/4" from the wheel lip moulding. So that is the rear tire, now the front you will have issues with the load rating. In order to get a tire up front that matches the diameter of the 295 rear tire, you need a 255/35/22 which will fit perfectly on a 9" wheel with an offset of about +32 to match the rear tire fitment that is sticking out about 1/4". Both tires are 29" diameter but the issue is, this 255 front tire has a load rating of 99 which is quite a bit below 103 and I don't recommend running this load range. Another issue with this is the only tire made in both of those two sizes is a Pirelli P-Zero which is a great tire but summer performance only, Cannot run this tire in the cold weather below 40˚ and certainly not on snow or ice.

The best thing you can do if you want to run 22's on the Mach-E is not a staggered setup but a square set up of 275/35/22's. They have a load rating of 104 which works but the diameter is 29.6 so about a full inch more than the stock sized tires. Because of the width of the 275's up front, you will need a decent offset to keep them away from the front strut and inner wheel well liner. Also while there are more types of tires to choose from in this size, you are still a bit limited.

When you go down to 21" tires, there aren't many more options than 22" for staggered. It is doable but you won't be staying within the load range needed and and can still have fitment issues with wide tires. Again, like 22's if you go a square setup of 275/35/21, those will fit with the proper range but this time a diameter very close to the OEM tires.

It's not until you get to 20" tires that you have a few decent options for a staggered setup and they all will have OEM or higher load ratings. To keep the OEM diameter go with 245/45/20 F, 275/40/20 R. Slightly larger diameter would be 255/45/20 F, 285/40/20 R and even a bit larger diameter, about 1/2" 265/45/20 R, 295/40/20 R. This last staggered setup has been used by quite a few members here including myself. The second staggered setup has very few tire type options compared to the first and third setup. There is one more staggered setup you can go with which is OEM diameter but extremely wide in the rear. 275/40/20 F and 315/35/20 R. This is the size I run during the summer with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires. I had to modify the rear shock upper mount so the tire would not rub against it with the slightly more negative camber I am running. Plus had to modify the rear inner fender lining. I do not recommend this staggered setup unless you don't mind the modding your car quite a bit. During the winter, like now, (our winters here only consist of 28˚-45˚ temps and light snow) I am running Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season Plus in the 265/45/20 F, 295/40/20 R sizes. If you want to run a wide square setup, I would recommend 275/40/20 as those are the widest you can fit up front and they are OEM diameter which makes it nice. Several members here run this 275 square set up.

Want to mention, running different staggered setups require different offsets and wheel sizes for front and rear if you want the tires to have the same fitment front and rear and it's not always easy to figure this out. There is a lot more that goes into running a staggered setup than just throwing on different sized tires.
Thank you so so much Mark for the very detailed response. The shop im getting the wheels from is a manufacturer of the wheels itself and he has advised i wont have any fitment issues in terms of rubbing etc my main concern would be potholes in NY.

he wants to put on Lexani tires (believe its called Advanta) they are all season.
My main objective is to gain some width and height so def looking for a bigger diameter.

i am getting about 5500 lbs for my Select is that correct? Do you just divide by 4 to determine how much each wheel must support and then ensure load ratings line up?

again this is soo helpful i cant thank you enough for the very detailed response thanks for your time!

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thank you so so much Mark for the very detailed response. The shop im getting the wheels from is a manufacturer of the wheels itself and he has advised i wont have any fitment issues in terms of rubbing etc my main concern would be potholes in NY.

he wants to put on Lexani tires (believe its called Advanta) they are all season.
My main objective is to gain some width and height so def looking for a bigger diameter.

i am getting about 5500 lbs for my Select is that correct? Do you just divide by 4 to determine how much each wheel must support and then ensure load ratings line up?

again this is soo helpful i cant thank you enough for the very detailed response thanks for your time!
Unfortunately I am not very knowledgeable about how the manufacturer calculates what the tire load rating should be for a given vehicle. All I know and do, is make sure that any tire I buy has at least a load rating of 103 because that is what Ford recommends for the Mach-E and I won't deviate from that. I would think a lesser load rating could work as I have seen others with 21 and 22 size tires do it but if you ever had an issue with a blow out or whatever, and the tires were not at least rated to the minimum of manufactures specs, you might be in trouble.

I think there are others here that are much more knowledgeable about the load ratings on tires and might chime in.

Last edited:

miguelmix

First Name
miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mustang mach e
Occupation
judge
Country flag

Não é até chegar a pneus de 20 "que você tem algumas opções decentes para uma configuração escalonada e todos eles terão classificações de carga OEM ou mais altas. Para manter o diâmetro OEM ir com 245/45/20 F, 275/40/20 R. Diâmetro ligeiramente maior seria 255/45/20 F, 285/40/20 R e até um diâmetro um pouco maior, cerca de 1/2" 265/45/20 R, 295/40/20 R. Esta última configuração escalonada foi usada por alguns membros aqui, incluindo eu. A segunda configuração escalonada tem muito poucas opções de tipo de pneu em comparação com a primeira e terceira configuração. Há mais uma configuração escalonada que você pode ir com a qual é o diâmetro do OEM, mas extremamente largo na parte traseira. 275/40/20 F e 315/35/20 R. Este é o tamanho que eu corro durante o verão com pneus Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. Tive que modificar o suporte superior do amortecedor traseiro para que o pneu não se esfregasse contra ele com a cambagem um pouco mais negativa que estou correndo. Além disso, teve que modificar o revestimento interno do para-lama traseiro. Eu não recomendo esta configuração escalonada, a menos que você não se importe com o modding seu carro um pouco. Durante o inverno, como agora, (nossos invernos aqui consistem apenas em temperaturas de 28°-45° e neve leve) estou correndo com o Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season Plus nos tamanhos 265/45/20 F, 295/40/20 R. Se você quiser executar uma configuração quadrada larga, eu recomendaria 275/40/20, pois esses são os mais largos que você pode caber na frente e eles são diâmetro OEM, o que o torna agradável. Vários membros aqui executam esta praça 275 montada.

Quer mencionar, executar diferentes configurações escalonadas requer diferentes compensações e tamanhos de roda para frente e traseira se você quiser que os pneus tenham o mesmo ajuste dianteiro e traseiro e nem sempre é fácil descobrir isso. Há muito mais que entra na execução de uma configuração escalonada do que apenas jogar em pneus de tamanhos diferentes. UE