Would gaming on the center display be a feature you would use if it was part of an OTA? Would you pay for it as an OTA?

Would gaming on the center display be a feature you would use if it was part of an OTA?

• Total voters

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Nope . . . I don't even play many games on my phone or iPad.
Now . . . Netflix or YouTube while charging . . . I would like to see that.
Same
Sponsored

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
The more you try to cram into a system the more you're going to have issues. I'd rather have a stable, snappy system with the basic necessities than a bloated tablet with all kinds of unnecessary garbage.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I disagree that it isn't useful: Having to sit for 30-40 minutes every couple of hours on a trip begs for a distraction of some kind. .... after having to stare at the road for hours.
I'd like lay flat front seats so I can comfortably nap while the car charges. And an alarm clock that goes off when the car reaches 80% (or whatever I've set).

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
The more you try to cram into a system the more you're going to have issues. I'd rather have a stable, snappy system with the basic necessities than a bloated tablet with all kinds of unnecessary garbage.
True but since the system is already web based it likely has a browser in it just to run the UI that is there (I'm guessing chromium).

So enabling browser functionality for general internet viewing would be, like 3 lines of code.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
True but since the system is already web based it likely has a browser in it just to run the UI that is there (I'm guessing chromium).

So enabling browser functionality for general internet viewing would be, like 3 lines of code.
You trust Ford to keep the browser up to date against security risks? And if they don't, what's the worst that could happen?

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
You trust Ford to keep the browser up to date against security risks? And if they don't, what's the worst that could happen?
It would be really easy to keep the browser in a sandbox. No security issues at all.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
It would be really easy to keep the browser in a sandbox. No security issues at all.
Good point. And container host vulnerabilities are probably more easily patched since it's code/packaging that Ford's less likely to have modified, and issues crop up less regularly.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
I would like to see a Chromecast type setup. Then you wouldn't have to worry about what apps the car had. You could cast pretty much anything from your phone.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I would like to see a Chromecast type setup. Then you wouldn't have to worry about what apps the car had. You could cast pretty much anything from your phone.
Or AirPlay . . .

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
OTA updates can update the browser too.

Android Auto and Apple Carplay are a type of Chromecast--they are both basically a virtual screen projected off the phone (like VNC or RDP).

No reason Air Play or Google Cast couldn't be used.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I say no. Mostly because I know Ford's track record with infotainment, and trying to throw some games on there would probably just end up in performance taking a hit on the unit.

I would much rather android auto or car play would allow some kind of games or something while the car is not in gear.

Nick Nick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E RWD SR
Country flag
Wouldn't play games and this is coming from a guy that used to spend too much time gaming

if there is an itch to scratch I will jump on my phone ... but even then no

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
Just thinking about how the driver display could be used here. Makes some types of games suitable for the driver using the buttons on the wheel and/or steering wheel. Or even using a game controller for side scrolling games.

Last edited:

TheSeg

First Name
Seg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
seg.fyi
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium EB-RWD (Built: Feb 2021)
Country flag
* cries in former game developer and current front-end developer *

That's not how any of this works…

Note: I don't have any direct knowledge with Ford's engineering decisions for the Mach-E. This is from my days working with consoles to release games + supporting material, and my current work in front-end development.

Even though the rendering engine is effectively a web browser, to open up general browsing opens up a huge host of problems that need constant gardening and support. There's a vast amount of features that aren't needed for the car's UI, but required for general browsing. Autofill your passwords? Credit cards? History Management? Permissions management? Now you need to fix and change when the next vulnerability is discovered and deploy immediately… and all this is tied to the functionality of a car.

When using a HTML engine in an embedded context, it's more about deciding what feature set you need to deliver your user experience. In some cases, add custom code to do custom functions (think plug-ins). By allowing a location bar, there's a lot more to work in ensuring the security and usability of the entire device. That's a lot of work for work and ongoing maintenance for activity -- which will never match the quality of the user's own phone.

It's not that any of this is impossible. But I don't see how full user exposed browsing adds value to the experience of the car. Especially with the added development costs and risks involved. Especially when your phone will do a better job.

In other words, it is not as simple as enabling a flag.

Android Auto and Apple Carplay are a type of Chromecast--they are both basically a virtual screen projected off the phone (like VNC or RDP).

No reason Air Play or Google Cast couldn't be used.
You're correct! For CarPlay/Android Auto, the computation stays on your personal device. There's two-way communication, but extremely narrow in scope. Phone sends rendered audio & visual channels. Car sends a small set of defined inputs and small set of metadata. Much smaller footprint. The engineering footprint is much lower than full-on browsing on the car device.

For casting, it's weather the Ford desired to partner with Google and Apple to allow devices to connect as if the Mach-E was a "Smart TV" device. There's development work (and not sure if there's hardware to be added), but the start is the business decision to partner. Keep in mind the only way full casting would be enabled is when the car is in park, so it's a limited use case.

Honestly, I don't see the ROI for (non CarPlay) casting, but I confess I'm talking about my personal preferences.
Sponsored