Would you buy loaner/deno Mach E?

Would you buy a loaner car with miles on it?

• Total voters

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
I just bought a demo Premium X4 with 2300 miles on it. It was discounted and because it had not been previously titled I still qualify for the $7500 tax credit. I'm in TN and had planned to order but the 24+week wait was not going to be fun, so I looked for something in stock and stumbled upon this car in Iowa. Completed the deal over the phone including agreeing on a price for my trade sight unseen. Drove up and swapped out and headed home.

Very happy with the car and the deal and would do it again. We bought a demo BMW X3 back in 2015 and it was a great car and a good deal as well
Sponsored

OP
OP
WildBillTV

WildBillTV

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
holeinonebox.com
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Thanks for the input everyone! I might take a look at this demo car after all and try to work a deal. I am in the same boat, not trying to wait for my order for a few reasons. 1. I want the car now lol and 2. I'd like to capitalize on this used car market and get top dollar for my trade in.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Thanks for the input everyone! I might take a look at this demo car after all and try to work a deal. I am in the same boat, not trying to wait for my order for a few reasons. 1. I want the car now lol and 2. I'd like to capitalize on this used car market and get top dollar for my trade in.

My thoughts exactly. Got a good trade in offer and jumped. Perhaps I could have gotten more selling privately but who knows how long that would have taken. I'm happy

Ma9573

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I would have said no in the past, but the Volvo my wife got is a demo unit from the dealer that had 950 miles on it and it's mint condition and saved her $6k on the price. It's basically no different than a brand new car, I actually forget people have been in it. So that changed my mind, unfortunately there won't be any GT demo units lol
I would do it for a decent discount in the Mach E... Maybe.

Mainly because it was the opposite situation for me. We leased a loaner BMW X1 for my wife back in 2018, and I've wanted to get rid of it ever since. Had to replace all tires and both brakes faster than I've ever had to do in the past, had to have the alignment done (literally have never had to do that in my life), and never drove that well (I've had 3 and 5 series that were great). No wonder the dealer rep took us on a very specific test drive. Only benefit is that our payment was only $370 a month ($453 when incorporating the down payment).

The reason it's a maybe instead of a NO for a loaner Mach E is because I have one and love it. Plus the brakes and tires should last based on how I drive (regenerate breaking etc).

Brian707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mustang Mach E Premium AWD EXT
Country flag
If it qualifies for tax credit I would ask for 2k below MSRP. Otherwise, it would have to be $9500

Pibbman

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
We bought the "Service car" my dealer had. It was full MSRP. They said the warranty on it would start based on the mileage it was sold at (it was sold as new since it was never titled). It is kinda hard to negotiate them down when you're still getting the full warranty and the federal tax credit.

DK922

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD
Country flag
I don't think that's true for a dealer demo. They should still come with a "new car" title AFAIK.
Trust me I’ve dug deeply into it. Doesn’t qualify..

az-paco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Prius, '21 MME Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Trust me I’ve dug deeply into it. Doesn’t qualify..
This depends on the state. In some states, the dealer must title service/demo vehicles. In others, they don't. Whoever titles the vehicle first can qualify for the tax credit.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
We bought the "Service car" my dealer had. It was full MSRP. They said the warranty on it would start based on the mileage it was sold at (it was sold as new since it was never titled). It is kinda hard to negotiate them down when you're still getting the full warranty and the federal tax credit.
They added 6000 miles and 6mos to the factory warranty for us and discounted it $1000.

As for some states requiring dealers to title demos, check your state. Some do, some do not. We purchased in Iowa but live in TN. We are the first to title this vehicle and will get the tax credit. YMMV

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
Crap, I bought my demo MME with 2300 miles on it for the X-Plan price, with no further discounts. The dealership seemed pretty nice, but were quite insistent that they couldn't mark the car down any further with X-Plan. I guess the way I see it, they'd have ironed out any electrical/battery gremlins some people here have been seeing in their first couple thousand miles ?

Oh, the car wasn't titled, so at least I'll be getting the $7,500 credit. So far we've been happy with the car, so I guess there's that...

Astraea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMe Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Oh oh oh I can answer this one! Bought a demo just over a month ago. I was the first one to test drive it after it got off the truck, first and last to take out as a rental and put over 1000 miles on it, and we bought it with 2000 miles on it. We got the $7500 off the top plus $2000 more off because we bought in NY plus our $500 we had put in for our order we had placed 2 months prior. We just received the title in the mail a few days ago and it reads that it is a used vehicle, not a rental. Being that I put over half of the miles on it and my salesman kept me in the loop of nearly every time someone took it out; most trips were by employees for an evening out. So I knew that it had been treated fairly well before I bought it and got all the money off the top making it worth it to me to buy the Demo instead of waiting for the one I ordered, which still doesn't have a build date and was ordered in March. Would I buy one with 2000-4000 miles on it without any knowledge of how it was used? No. So my case I suppose was a bit of an outlier in this.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
No, they have 4000 hard miles on them, and most importantly they don’t qualify for the $7500 tax credit.
That's wrong. Depending on the laws in your state, dealers don't title the vehicle so they don't "own" it the way we do. Demos are sold as new, primary titled cars.

Pibbman

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
They added 6000 miles and 6mos to the factory warranty for us and discounted it $1000.

As for some states requiring dealers to title demos, check your state. Some do, some do not. We purchased in Iowa but live in TN. We are the first to title this vehicle and will get the tax credit. YMMV
In my case, ours wasn't titled yet and the purchase contract shows it being sold as new. (New checkbox was checked. The demo box wasn't). Ours used it as a service vehicle because they said it would rack up the 2k miles it needed before it could be sold faster.

As for anyone who happens to be reading this and thinking of leasing it. Just know the lessor would get the $7500 tax credit. I've saw a few on this forum who think they are getting the credit when they are leasing it.
Sponsored