BleedBlue75

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Star White
Country flag
So I ordered a star white AWD Ext range MME online a couple months ago with a local dealership. I checked on Friday and it still hasn’t gotten picked up by Ford. Dealer says they aren’t sure mine will get built and/or I may be better off making a 2022 order when that becomes available.

However, they did provide one option. They are going to go ahead and sell their demo model, which has the exact specs and color I ordered. They offered me to buy it, albeit with a $3k dealership markup.

I’m not sure what to do. The car has 2600 miles on it and you know a bunch of people have taken it on the road and run it through its paces, touched and messed with the controls, etc. The dealership says the warranty doesn’t start until the vehicle is sold but that is of little comfort if I buy something for higher than invoice and then constantly have to bring it in to address problems. I’m torn!! I’d love my MME now and it’s tough being patient when it may be spring next year before I get one. Thoughts?
Sponsored

EV Rider

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Star White AWE Premium
Occupation
District Manager GameStop
Country flag
I bought a demo model from Alma ford in Michigan with 4k miles. They gave me X-plan and the $7500 tax rebate off MSRP (this was about a month ago)

I've added another 1k mile since then and love my car! Everything still smells new and I've had ZERO issues.

One bonus with having a loaner vehicle is if there were any issues, likely, they were fixed. So keep that in mind.

A couple of flags from what your dealership is saying though..
  1. Alma told me the warranty is specific in that it's X amount of miles and since they were the original owner of the car, they can't backtrack. So in other words, I took over the warranty at 4k miles and x amount of months in. (I purchased the extended warranty on mine though)
  2. These dealerships should not be marking up the car and also ensure you get the tax credit! If the dealership titled the car (as most would if it's their loaner car) you cannot file for the rebate, as the dealership likely took it. If that's the case they should give that to you off MSRP. As my dealership explained it, that was the deal they struck with Ford in order to get loaner vehicles. They should be passing that credit to you.

Last edited:

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Don't buy a demo unit. You lose the 7500 tax credit.

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I would by a demo unit, but not with ADM.
Yeah, that's unheard of. It's a used car, and not even nicely used. I was allowed to test drive by myself in two different Mach-Es, and although I was very careful because I'm that guy, I know some won't be.

Brutakus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Select AWD Comfort/Tech Package
Country flag
If they're trying to charge above MSRP on a demo that you would also possibly not get a tax credit for (if they titled it), I'd run away from that dealership

Mockstang

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER, 1967 V8 4bbl
Occupation
Pro
It’s a tough call. Then what will you get for trade-in? My dealership offered me a Select in April and I didn’t do it. Maybe I should have.

Waiting is Hard was a book I read to my kids that is applicable. Gerald or Piggy weren’t waiting for a Mach-E though!!!

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I bought a demo model from Alma ford in Michigan with 4k miles. They gave me X-plan and the $7500 tax rebate off MSRP (this was about a month ago)

I've added another 1k mile since then and love my car! Everything still smells new and I've had ZERO issues.

One bonus with having a loaner vehicle is if there were any issues, likely, they were fixed. So keep that in mind.

1. Alma told me the warranty is specific in that it's X amount of miles and since they were the original owner of the car, they can't backtrack. So in other words, I took over the warranty at 4k miles and x amount of months in. (I purchased the extended warranty on mine though)
  2. These dealerships should not be marking up the car and also ensure you get the tax credit! If the dealership titled the car (as most would if it's their loaner car) you cannot file for the rebate, as the dealership likely took it. If that's the case they should give that to you off MSRP. As my dealership explained it, that was the deal they struck with Ford in order to get loaner vehicles. They should be passing that credit to you.
This is good advice, but folks should be aware that some states require dealer demo units to be titled by the dealer from the get go, and other states allow dealers to delay titling until the first customer sale of the vehicle.

This matters, because it impacts whether Ford will offer a $7,500 discount, or if you need to look into taking the credit in your individual federal income taxes.

And as you pointed out, it can also impact the warranty start date/mileage.

Here's some more info for @BleedBlue75 and others:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/any-insight-into-fctp-sales.6559/page-2#post-186331

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Metallic RWD, standard range
Occupation
retired
Country flag
So I ordered a star white AWD Ext range MME online a couple months ago with a local dealership. I checked on Friday and it still hasn’t gotten picked up by Ford. Dealer says they aren’t sure mine will get built and/or I may be better off making a 2022 order when that becomes available.

However, they did provide one option. They are going to go ahead and sell their demo model, which has the exact specs and color I ordered. They offered me to buy it, albeit with a $3k dealership markup.

I’m not sure what to do. The car has 2600 miles on it and you know a bunch of people have taken it on the road and run it through its paces, touched and messed with the controls, etc. The dealership says the warranty doesn’t start until the vehicle is sold but that is of little comfort if I buy something for higher than invoice and then constantly have to bring it in to address problems. I’m torn!! I’d love my MME now and it’s tough being patient when it may be spring next year before I get one. Thoughts?
If it were me, I'd wait paying a markup is bad paying a markup on a demo is even worse. I've never bought a demo the thought of so many different people driving it and not perhaps knowing how to properly charge etc, would always bother me.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Metallic RWD, standard range
Occupation
retired
Country flag

unless the car is titled by the dealership while in the demo fleet, the warranty doesn't take effect until the dealership retails it, at least that's the way I've always understood a warranty to work.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
I considered buying the Demo that we put 1500 miles on. Took it back to the dealer with 2300 miles on it. Even though we put most of the miles on it, I still wouldn’t pay MSRP for it. They sold it to someone else!

GW Shark

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium ER AWD Star White, 2014 Prius V
Occupation
Scuba Instructor
Country flag
I too bought a demo with 1400 miles. The dealership referred to it as a courtesy transportation vehicle (CTV) and the bill of sale lists it as a new vehicle. I second all the comments by EV Rider and others. The tax rebate should be available to you if the dealer did not title the MME (my case) or, if the state regulations/law require the demo to be titled, Ford has a program to directly give you the $7500 at the point of sale. Several folks on the board have been able to get the dealer/Ford to reset the clock on demo warranty. My dealer said their Ford rep turned down my request. I am trying to pursue this through Ford reps on this board but no luck so far with minimal response to my questions (disappointing). I'd try to get that reset, if possible. Otherwise those months are lost forever (mine had 4.5 months used on the warranty). On a positive note, my dealer prepped the vehicle well and did all I've asked of them within their power. Oh - paid MSRP, but my reservation was in early June, when there were still a number of demo units around. Good luck! It's a great car!

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
I would if the honor Xplan.... I would not pay over MSRP..
Sponsored