Would you buy the Lightning because of the great MME experience.

Charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 2022 - Limited Edition Iced White
Occupation
Technical
Country flag
I've owned my 2022 MME for 4 months and nothing but the best of times.

I have a 2023 Lightning in "build" status. However, the Lightning forum is not showing the same happiness the MME forum (here) is.

I'm 50-50 on buying the Lightning based on Lightning forum (here) reviews (- 50) vs my MME experience (+50).

I am open to thoughts to help me out.

My wife is the real pickup driver and I'm more of the MME driver. May seem weird. but she does the plant and furniture hauling (I only do the load/unload stuff). I just drive and have fun. However, she loves the MME so much she won't listen to the Lightning issues.
Sponsored

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
No way I would buy a lightning. I am getting a Hummer EV, any truck that only charges at 400V is a loser. I could have bought a lightly used Lightning at a dealer near me for $87K, not a good deal at all. Plus the Sync system in the Lightening will have all the same bugs as the MME

OP
OP

Charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technical
Country flag
I am going to wait for the new truck that comes out in 2025.
That is what I was thinking. I have a RAM 1500 Laramie and it is a very good (even great) pickup. I think I should wait for the bugs to be fixed in the LIghtning. Sad that the MME is frig'n awesome but the Lightning is less than awesome it seems.

guyofthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt and MME GT, ICE F-150.
Occupation
airplane driver
Country flag

I have a 2023 Lightning in "build" status. However, the Lightning forum is not showing the same happiness the MME forum (here) is.

I'm 50-50 on buying the Lightning based on Lightning forum (here) reviews (- 50) vs my MME experience (+50).

My wife is the real pickup driver and I'm more of the MME driver. May seem weird. but she does the plant and furniture hauling (I only do the load/unload stuff). I just drive and have fun. However, she loves the MME so much she won't listen to the Lightning issues.
Not sure how much this helps, but I drove the Lightning for ten minutes at a dealership, and I found it impressive.

Very quiet, handling seemed fine (but I couldn't really push it), and the eye monitor for BlueCruise is now above the steering wheel, so it shouldn't nag if you are drinking or have your arm on the top of the steering wheel. I just no longer need a pickup, but if I did, I'd probably buy it.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
We did but a Lightning after our First Edition Mach E experience. Fantastic truck that is incredibly smooth and although the
F150 is a great truck, the Lightning is leagues more refined.
Just like our First MachE had new vehicle quirk's, Glass roof recall, Windshield recall, etc;, it still so good we brought a second one. The driving experience of the Lightning is fantastic.

OP
OP

Charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technical
Country flag
Honestly... I don't think I'll ever buy another Ford.
I honestly felt that way too not long ago. Drove the MME and decided to take a chance. I am 100% happy with my MME. The 'iced white' is the best looking interior of any car I've ever owned. Happy with everything else too.

guyofthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt and MME GT, ICE F-150.
Occupation
airplane driver
Country flag

Also, Tom Moloughney, who has the YouTube channel "State of Charge" is a very experienced EV driver who owns a Lightning and a Rivian R-1T. He reviews his (early?) Lightning, and likes it a lot.

I'd recommend checking his videos out for an experienced and balanced opinion.

ThatGuyLando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CR1
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
I honestly felt that way too not long ago. Drove the MME and decided to take a chance. I am 100% happy with my MME. The 'iced white' is the best looking interior of any car I've ever owned. Happy with everything else too.
I've said it before, when the Car just works, it's a dream car, sadly the software is pretty bad, making it very frustrating, very often. I don't think Ford was anywhere near ready with it (which is odd considering how old the SYNC platform is) at launch.

OP
OP

Charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technical
Country flag
We did but a Lightning after our First Edition Mach E experience. Fantastic truck that is incredibly smooth and although the
F150 is a great truck, the Lightning is leagues more refined.
Just like our First MachE had new vehicle quirk's, Glass roof recall, Windshield recall, etc;, it still so good we brought a second one. The driving experience of the Lightning is fantastic.
This is very helpful. My wife would thank you if I told her. :)

OP
OP

Charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technical
Country flag
I've said it before, when the Car just works, it's a dream car, sadly the software is pretty bad, making it very frustrating, very often. I don't think Ford was anywhere near ready with it (which is odd considering how old the SYNC platform is) at launch.
I did not find the tech to be bad. Maybe I did not expect much. I like how Car Play with Amazon Music works and I use Apple maps mostly and it has been flawless. I have no issues changing temps and stuff using voice. My only pet peeve is that i would like the temp controls up at the top of the center console so I can adjust with my head up.

That said: does anyone know the voice command to change the seat temps or steering heat on/off?

OP
OP

Charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technical
Country flag
I have both. The Lightning is the better vehicle. I'm counting down the days until my Options lease is done on the Mach-e and I can turn it back in.
Wow, not what I was expecting. Thank you. So you recommend the Lightning more than the MME. So if I'm 100% happy with the MME I can chance the Lightning. It is expensive but I am tired to being "Fred Flintstone" at the gas pump. However, I do have a Subaru Forester if I need an ICE.

Also, I have 4 grown kids and I think I have a line waiting for the MME and Lightning already. So no "options" lease for me.

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
I didn't like Ford experience. Although MME seems like a nicely designed car it still has some kindergarten flows and issues that should never exist on any car (especially 60k dollar one) plus their terrible customer support and roadside assistance, plus the way they are dealing with major issues like hv battery connector.
So I don't think I crave for more

OP
OP

Charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technical
Country flag
I didn't like Ford experience. Although MME seems like a nicely designed car it still has some kindergarten flows and issues that should never exist on any car (especially 60k dollar one) plus their terrible customer support and roadside assistance, plus the way they are dealing with major issues like hv battery connector.
So I don't think I crave for more
I understand completely. I feel the same way about the cyber truck. Likely a good truck (when it does come out) but really....

Also, I have GEICO roadside assistance. It is awesome. It's always nice to have a Plan B.
Sponsored