Would you have ordered the Mach E if there was no Tax Credit available?

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Tax credit certainly made the MME viable for us (the first one anyway which started this whole snowball). Probably would have gone Ford Edge otherwise. We were looking to replace a Ford Escape. A titanium trim Edge will run around $47K. So the $57K for our first MME would have seemed like quite a reach without the tax incentives. Probably enough of a reach that we wouldnā€™t have even considered it.
Sponsored

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Heck yes. In Dec 2020 Ford firmed up the prices of Bronco's and my Select w rebate was a few grand less than my Bronco build. Knowing the direction the political winds were moving I thought it would be prudent to go EV.

Funny thing is on my new Select order it is some of the same influences. I have my Bronco being built this month but am with a less than stellar dealer (but they have a big allocation) so suspect a big ADM when it shows up and will walk away. Knowing this, before the order banks closed I ordered another Select. Hope to get another rebate when I do my taxes next year.

B25Nut

First Name
Charlee
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bsi-inc.com
Vehicles
2021 Premium MME 4EX Star White, 2019 Acura RDX,
Occupation
BSI Sales and Technical Manager
Country flag
If I knew back in January 2021 what I know now, I would have placed my order for the MME even without the rebate. Back then, however, I was determined to get a vehicle with a net cost under $50K so I may have gone with the Toyota Venza. I'm very glad I didn't.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Iā€™m hoping I will get the tax credit as my Mach is due here (so they say) in October. Did the government tax credit affect your decision to buy the Mach E or another EV?
I 'probably' would have bought the MME regardless because it met my overall requirements of:
- 200+ mile range
- AWD
- reasonably fun to drive and good looking were bonus

I ordered early, sight unseen, before test vehicles were available at dealerships because I wanted the $7500 tax credit off MSRP, and my Dealership was 'no-ADM'. The tax credit was incentive to cover the risk of first-model-year issues and time spent at dealership for possible recalls, etc.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Heck yes. In Dec 2020 Ford firmed up the prices of Bronco's and my Select w rebate was a few grand less than my Bronco build. Knowing the direction the political winds were moving I thought it would be prudent to go EV.

Funny thing is on my new Select order it is some of the same influences. I have my Bronco being built this month but am with a less than stellar dealer (but they have a big allocation) so suspect a big ADM when it shows up and will walk away. Knowing this, before the order banks closed I ordered another Select. Hope to get another rebate when I do my taxes next year.
transfer your order to a Dealership that will commit to no-ADM

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Would not have purchased w/o the credit.

Paid 55,500 using X plan for Prem AWD EX. Credit makes ā€˜trueā€™ cost 48k.

Anticipated fuel cost over 100k miles savings of $8k (charging at home 95% of the miles).

Maintenance savings $3k over ICE (oil, brakes, ā€¦.) over 100k Miles

Extra set tires $1k

Real cost. $38k

Would have probably purchased Subaru Outback 2019 Touring w/ 6 cyl and saved a few $k when all was said and done.

Edit. Forgot the Options $1k. Captured most of that repaying the loan right away.
real cost $37k

Last edited:

mjs020294

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
A definite no for us. We didn't need a new car and its not the best time to buy one with the supply shortages. This will be a fairly heavy tax year for us and we have around 6-7kWh spare solar capacity so the math adds up.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Iā€™m hoping I will get the tax credit as my Mach is due here (so they say) in October. Did the government tax credit affect your decision to buy the Mach E or another EV?
It affected how much friction I got from the boss. I was REALLY lucky that I also got a NJ rebate as well, but she blows it off and says "it's still a $50000 car". Without any of those rebates I'd hear about it every day. With the rebates I only hear about it every couple of weeks.

PicassoPC

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E CaRt1, 2011 Nissan Leaf
Country flag
No - all credits were factored into the purchase. I really wanted a Tesla Model Y, but without the $7,500 it didn't make financial sense (Elon Musk didn't help either).

I paid $51,140 MSRP + $2,500 ADM = $53,640
Less CA instant rebate of $1,500
Less Clean Air Rebate of $2,000
Less Clean Air + Rebate of $2,500
Less Federal Credit of $7,500
TOTAL paid is $40,140

I couldn't get near that for the Model Y and there weren't many other 300+ mile range cars to choose from (at this price point).

hbund216

First Name
Arv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Accord, and Mach-e
Country flag
My wife and I made the choice to go with the Mach-E over the Model Y because we liked it more. Tax incentive was a bonus.

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
No - all credits were factored into the purchase. I really wanted a Tesla Model Y, but without the $7,500 it didn't make financial sense (Elon Musk didn't help either).

I paid $51,140 MSRP + $2,500 ADM = $53,640
Less CA instant rebate of $1,500
Less Clean Air Rebate of $2,000
Less Clean Air + Rebate of $2,500
Less Federal Credit of $7,500
TOTAL paid is $40,140

I couldn't get near that for the Model Y and there weren't many other 300+ mile range cars to choose from (at this price point).
What is Clean Air + rebate?

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
I was looking at the Lightning and made a reservation. That sparked a renewed interest in the MME. I had not been following it much at all. Decided it was time to dump the Jeep Rubicon and with used car prices way up it was an easy decision.

When I realized there was a $7500 tax credit, it became a no brainer.

My son needed a new car so we talked and decided an EV would be a good fit for him as well. Found a 2021 Nissan Leaf that he liked and made it happen. He would not have had the tax liability to get the full credit so I added my name on the title, fronted him the full credit to use as part of his downpayment.

Filed our taxes and listed both EVs and was refunded all but a few dollars of the combined $15k in credits.

Had it not been for the tax credit I don't think we would have made the purchase at this time, instead waiting for the Lightning.

TonyaE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Ford Flex. 2022 MME premium RWD ER o 1/26/22
Occupation
RN
Country flag
Yes. I was looking at Tesla model y first but chose MME due to savings plus styling. Honestly, probably would have chosen it without the tax credit. Maybe would have looked at used though to make myself feel better about the purchase. Then I would have found out used was stupid due to crazy prices and still bought a new onešŸ¤¦šŸ½ā€ā™€ļø

TonyaE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Ford Flex. 2022 MME premium RWD ER o 1/26/22
Occupation
RN
Country flag
For me no. I was only considering cars with the tax credit. If a tax credit never existed for EVs maybe, but I donā€™t know what my thoughts would have been then. I love my car and Iā€™m thankful Iā€™m getting a tax credit (maybe even 2). My decision to buy an EV was purely a financial decision though.
About 3 weeks before I placed my order in October, I filled my gas tank and it ticked over $50 total. Now that seems low, but that was a gut punch. They had also just installed free charging spots at work. My car was 9 years old and I knew I was going to need something sooner than later. I knew I couldnā€™t afford a new car or newer car. Electric was the only option.

My math as of Octoberā€¦
$400 car payment
$275 gas (100 gallons per month)
=$675
New car payment (current)
$810 (more than I wanted, but didnā€™t plan for warranty, etc)
-$104 (7500 tax credit split out across 72 month loan)
=$706

Granted now gas is much higher and I could have rationalized it since gas would be $100 more a month. Basically with the tax credit, I figured I would be pretty close to breaking even. Actually right now Iā€™m coming out ahead.
My current gas cost is 110-125 a week. Easily a big chunk of car payment money.

Last edited:

TimK

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit 350 XLT, Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
Probably not.

We were down to 1 car and casually looking for another. I work from home, so most of the time 1 car works just fine, except for sometimes shuttling the kids around.
My wife was interested in the Telluride.
I didn't really see the need for a 3 row SUV, since we already have a Transit van for the weekends and our trips.

Also, I really loved driving our friends' EVs and being able to use less gas overall.

Anyway, from just a financial perspective the numbers without the tax credit wouldn't have made sense to justify it. The Telluride (with a lot of options) would still be $16K cheaper than the Mach-E.
$16K buys a lot of gas, even at $4 a gallon :)
Sponsored