jdsimard2012

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
No. If I buy the car and the option, I do not want a subscription. Reminds me of rental car companies wanting to charge me for nav.
Sponsored

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Well as I told the other poster, my salesman and the sales manager told me that if you call Ford Customer Service or maybe the BEV team you can get that subscription start date changed to the day you bought the truck. I will be buying a mannequin GT from them soon and can guarantee that my start date will be reset! I have a great relationship with the folks at my dealership, having bought 10 vehicles previously and they're always straight with me.

This is money we're talking about. It's just like the warranty start date. I'm sure you wouldn't want to lose, say six months, of warranty because you bought a mannequin right? I'll bet that they didn't even think about that BC subscription when they sold you the truck, or that it would need to be reset. Just like the dealers that didn't realize that many vehicle that were on the FCTP program (mannequins) were often added to the "fleet" program, and so they weren't getting automatic updates (OTAs) until they brought the truck back in to the dealership and a tech put it on FDRS to take it out of fleet mode. It's simply a case of the dealership not being aware that these things were causing issues.
Spot on. Or negotiate a lower price on the premise that you won’t be getting a reset. I prefer the latter if it works.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
To avoid confusion around BlueCruise subscription pricing we wanted to clarify the pricing details. Ford is changing the way it offers BlueCruise to customers. For new Mustang Mach-E orders made after May 2, BlueCruise is available at the time of order for $2,100 for 3-years. If a customer does not choose to subscribe to BlueCruise at the time of purchase, the vehicle will be delivered with a 90-day complimentary trial.

BlueCruise renewal for Mustang Mach-E, excluding certain model year 2021 vehicles, is $800 per year or $75 per month at the end of any initial subscription or trial period.

BlueCruise renewal for model year 2021 vehicles purchased with the optional BlueCruise Prep Package* is available at a discounted rate of $200 a year for three years or $75 a month at the end of the customer’s initial subscription period. Following this discounted subscription cycle, customers will renew at the standard price.

If you are unsure of what model you have and which offer you are eligible for, you can contact the Ford Customer Service Center at (800) 392-3673.

*Model Year 2021 vehicles with the BlueCruise Prep Package known as (Ford Co-Pilot360 Active 2.0 Prep Package) was for the first vehicles that did not ship from the factory with BlueCruise installed and received the software at a later date.
Ah Ford. I really thought Ford was smarter than this, and was taking EV ownership and value in a different direction than the EV gorilla in the market -Tesla. I was pretty happy about that. Now, someone at the company has turned the ship in another direction, and you are going to be sorry unless you make a course correction on this.

I have read through the thread - not sure how much more I can add, but I will throw in my 2 cents. I own a Job 1 Mach E, a Lightning, AND a '22 Lincoln Corsair GT.

BCHF is primarily a road trip convenience - it is only available on mapped highways, so, for most people, unless you commute almost 100 miles a day like I do on Highways, it is a limited nice convenience.

Our Mach E has become our "spare car" now. The daughter drives it around town, and after putting over 50,000 miles on it since February of '21 (including road trips) it mostly stays in town. We don't take it on Road trips anymore because the golden age of more infrastructure than EV's is over now and it will take years to catch up, and, my wife HATES the ride. So even at the $600 for 3 years I get with a job 1 car, I am not re-upping BCHF on the Mach E.

If infrastructure were better we would definitely take the Lightning on Road trips. It is a roomy, quiet, great ride that my wife loves. Since it is a '22 Mannequin that I got at MSRP off a dealer lot, I have BCHF until July of '24. I use it daily, but since I do not have the upgrade yet, my hands are on the wheel except at times when there is no traffic because the current version goes too close to the lane edge and other vehicles. We aren't taking it on road trips though (it is my daily driver) because the infrastructure has gotten behind EV adoption and some places we drive through (like WV on the way to visit family) the infrastructure is non-existent. So in '24 I would probably still renew at $200 a year, but at $800. Hard pass. Even if we had great infrastructure, as road trip vehicles Ford is lagging behind in the time to charge vs. other manufacturers who are quickly moving to 800 volt systems and much faster DCFC charging (We see you Hyundai/Kia).

We use the Corsair for our road trips - enough EV range for once we get where we are going, and no fear of the lack of infrastructure.

Businesses constantly make decisions on margin vs. volume and try to find the right balance. If you have a premium or luxury product with high quality, you can often go the high margin, low volume route. BCHF in its current incarnation and Ford's ability to deliver is NOT that kind of product. I have seen other businesses try to go that route with products that were not in that niche, and ruin their business.

At $200/yr - $600 for 3 years, Ford was in the middle. I would have guessed maybe a 20% take rate? At $800/year, I imagine that take rate will completely evaporate. Which means NO cash coming in to fund further development of the software.

In my opinion, what Ford should have done is disrupt this marketplace with a lower cost, higher volume offering. Maybe $10/month to counter GM's Supercruise that is $25 a month and $100/year. They would get a MUCH higher take rate, and I suspect make more money than this ridiculous 400% increase in the cost of what has become almost a "table stakes" product in the EV marketplace.

Ford is positioned as a value brand with some options that can take a vehicle into the low luxury space. They are NOT a luxury brand, and they are not a cutting edge software company in development or deployment. To try and position BCHF at a luxury price is a HUGE miscalculation that will cost them in the long run if they don't eat some crow and walk this back.

I hope you are listening Ford. You have really disgruntled and perhaps lost many loyal customers with a dumb boneheaded move like this.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Well as I told the other poster, my salesman and the sales manager told me that if you call Ford Customer Service or maybe the BEV team you can get that subscription start date changed to the day you bought the truck. I will be buying a mannequin GT from them soon and can guarantee that my start date will be reset! I have a great relationship with the folks at my dealership, having bought 10 vehicles previously and they're always straight with me.

This is money we're talking about. It's just like the warranty start date. I'm sure you wouldn't want to lose, say six months, of warranty because you bought a mannequin right? I'll bet that they didn't even think about that BC subscription when they sold you the truck, or that it would need to be reset. Just like the dealers that didn't realize that many vehicle that were on the FCTP program (mannequins) were often added to the "fleet" program, and so they weren't getting automatic updates (OTAs) until they brought the truck back in to the dealership and a tech put it on FDRS to take it out of fleet mode. It's simply a case of the dealership not being aware that these things were causing issues.
I will ask again . . . They did extend the warranty to 42,000 miles (the truck had 4,500 miles on it). My only issue is that I bought the truck at a dealership I do not normally deal with (where I could find it) and I do not have the greatest relationship with them - there have been some other issues I am still working through regarding the condition of the vehicle (paint scratches, dirty when I picked it up, etc.). In fact the dealer just picked it up today to correct those issues. 6 months later.

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ford just priced me out of BlueCruise! Thanks Ford, but No Thank you. I will not be renewing at that price.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
On the plus side of the ledger, I’ve been told the BC 1.2 OTA updates are currently being prepared. That would mean things appear to be moving forward for a PowerUp delivery prior to the time anyone has to make an official decision.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
On the plus side of the ledger, I’ve been told the BC 1.2 OTA updates are currently being prepared. That would mean things appear to be moving forward for a PowerUp delivery prior to the time anyone has to make an official decision.
This is great to hear! I'm really looking forward to BC 1.2.

(to be clear, there's no way I'll pay $800/yr for it but I'm looking forward to using this version for a couple years before my subscription runs out)

Voltron369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT
Country flag
Makes me wonder how much of the $800/yr for bluecruise is really paying for Ford's potential liability.

Similarly future subscriptions for performance features could be factoring in added warranty repair costs. That could be very reasonable. If you want to occasionally charge your car super fast or do a 1/4 mile test, pay a small fee.

lwilliams0514

First Name
Lashawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach E Premium RWD
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
A friend shared this with me.

1683222236507.png

Notice the annual or monthly options for BlueCruise. And also, Ford is watching the market to see our feedback. So, what do you think?

1683222236507~2.png
I would have paid to upgrade the subscription at the time of purchase if that was available, but paying after the fact......

Ford should group some of these services into one price similar to Apple's subscription services. One price for connected services, one price for Wifi, one price for BC. But if you bundle you save on the cost of all of them. I could see $50-60 for all three and not having to pay three separate charges.

Just my two cents

Regulus7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993 C4 Cab, Macan S, SantaFe, Ice Blue MME GT
Occupation
Money Manager
Country flag
So when do those of us who got the bluecruise option on our 2022s get the new BC 1.2 ?

OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Im sorry, my google-foo is failing me now. What does Mannequin mean in this context?
Ford officially calls this the Ford Courtesy Transportation Program, FCTP.

It's a dealer demonstration unit that customers are encouraged to take for test drives and even to borrow for up to a few days. Ford arranges it so that the dealer is incentivized to loan it out to customers (not dealer employees) for a minimum number of miles accumulated in the first 4-6 months. After the agreed period, it can be removed from the program and sold.

When the car is first put into FCTP at a dealer, it might be titled with the state or it might not. It depends on individual state regulations. I'm not sure if this is the full reason why some people are getting shorter warranty coverage -- they are not the first "owner" -- but it possibly explains it.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I'm sorry, my google-foo is failing me now. What does Mannequin mean in this context?
FCTP or "Demo" unit truck. It is the term dealers and Ford use.
Sponsored