Would you pay for a Tesla NACS retrofit?

Would you pay for a Tesla NACS retrofit?

• Total voters

lwilliams0514

First Name
Lashawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach E Premium RWD
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
I would pay. But it does depend on the cost.... HOWEVER if it raises my charge speed to 300kw then I would pay more to retrofit. My GF just bought a tesla and to be able to charge at her house would be huge for me.
Sponsored

lwilliams0514

First Name
Lashawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach E Premium RWD
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
You can do that now with a TeslaTap type adapter for L2 chargers.
Oh I know. She has not gotten her charger yet but I plan to get the adapter. But what I really need is the supercharger access....

Keeperofthe7keys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Premium
Country flag
No, I'd need an adapter either way, if Tesla keeps rolling out their CCS retrofits (something definitely in doubt now) CCS would be the more universal port anyways.

kodiakng

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Cyber Orange 4X Mach-E
Country flag
I would pay. But it does depend on the cost.... HOWEVER if it raises my charge speed to 300kw then I would pay more to retrofit.
charging speed is a function of the battery system, not the charge port - there is no (practical) way to change that in already built vehicles. our Mach-Es are a nominal 400V architecture and the BMS is limited to <150KW.

kodiakng

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Cyber Orange 4X Mach-E
Country flag
If Tesla gets some of the money from me buying one, will I get a blue checkmark on Twitter? :p
i'm sure musk and farley can figure out a subscription model for that too. 😉

CarsIMBwife

First Name
Rosie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4x
Occupation
Retired Data Analyst
Country flag
The rest of us are just OLD! 😁
I've always been confused why this is still the format war people cite when blu ray vs hddvd was much more recent.

Granted I was born in the 90s
My youngest was born in the 90s, I was thinking of Victor vs. Edison format war (phonograph technology) 🤪

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
I agree, Europe is a different kind of beast. Until you spend a considerable amount of time in the continent, you will understand some of its quirks.
When EU came together and the nations were joining together had and have to follow the EU protocols. That is one of puting it. It is hard to get a consensus out of 27 nations. So committees are formed and decide about a common standard. Keep that in mind also while we talking about CCS vs NACS standard. EU will pass a standard that is beneficial to EU manufacturers.
That is what Boeing realized that their EU customers stoped buying their aircraft. All EU nations followed the protocol. Buy EU products.
Consequently, a committee, devised the CCS standard. A reminder first.....EU manufacturers had no plans of building EV vehicles. Tesla was a disruptor. Tesla became a pain on their side.
If you remember, BMW, DaimlerBenz(Mercedes), VW had only insults to throw at Tesla and its plans to manufacture EVs. When they could convince the public otherwise, they got their hands on an S model from European Tesla customers and disassembled it to find how to copy the technology. They even got a hold of Model 3s and airfreight them to Europe for teardowns. That is when they realized they couldn't use their CCS standard to recharge the Tesla vehicles. So....CCS standard was introduced mostly for the benefit of the EU manufacturers.
Mandates in EU mean that you will follow them either you like it or not. Financial incentives are also available. Here in NA, we passed the infrastructure bill, and if you can adhere to the provisions of its content you can get a financial benefit. It does not say anywhere that Tesla has to adhere to anything either you like it or not.
Tesla will open up their network when they seem comfortable doing it irregardless if any financial benefits from that bill.
As we heard from the Tweeter conversation between Elon and Jim, the CCS plug was a committee concoction. I do believe though that EU vehicle manufacturers had something to do with it. When you get caught unaware, surprised and with your pants down, you will do anything to catch up with the disruptor(Tesla).
Hey.....they even convinced CA that their Diesel Green ICE vehicles were better for the environment. You know all by now how this played out. Sorry for all the folks who trusted them with those products. Diesel is not Green.
Anyways.....lots has happened since then.
I don't doubt that the CCS standard can do what they claim it can do. The limitations are with the vehicles also. I want to try the NACS also.
We may all be pleasantly surprised.
I am ready for something different.
CCS has so far not lived up to its advertised potential. Reasons are numerous.
Let us see what this NACS has to offer.
The CCS.2 that is used in europe has updates to support 3 phase ac charging as 3 phase ac is common on a lot of the euro grid so people have the option to charge up to 22kw on AC at home along with IMO a better locking system.

Most standards are designed by committee the CCS was no different and Ford was part of that committee. Based on when the Model S finally came out Telsa could have adopted CSS1 but chose not to, from my perspective CCS1 is the NA standard and if we include all those destination L1 & L2 chargers there are far more CCS stations out there than Tesla connectors.

At present the super charger network is more mature but that will not last forever, you then have the other issue of cable length being too short on most Tesla super chargers, so you'll need to wait on V4 chargers with a longer cable all of which will no doubt have a magic dock.

It is early days but putting my cynical hat on I just see this is as Ford just trying to stay relevant as they are falling way behind in the EV space. Or this is simply what happens when you hire an ex Tesla employee, for some they may see this is a great thing for others it will be another reason to avoid Ford EVs in the future.

It is also splits your existing customer base, which is never a good idea as you have all the existing Ford EV owners that will have installed a CCS home charger that will now need a adapter plus a potential further hit in trade in value as your new Ford EV and old Ford EV have the wrong connectors.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
The CCS.2 that is used in europe has updates to support 3 phase ac charging as 3 phase ac is common on a lot of the euro grid so people have the option to charge up to 22kw on AC at home along with IMO a better locking system.

Most standards are designed by committee the CCS was no different and Ford was part of that committee. Based on when the Model S finally came out Telsa could have adopted CSS1 but chose not to, from my perspective CCS1 is the NA standard and if we include all those destination L1 & L2 chargers there are far more CCS stations out there than Tesla connectors.

At present the super charger network is more mature but that will not last forever, you then have the other issue of cable length being too short on most Tesla super chargers, so you'll need to wait on V4 chargers with a longer cable all of which will no doubt have a magic dock.

It is early days but putting my cynical hat on I just see this is as Ford just trying to stay relevant as they are falling way behind in the EV space. Or this is simply what happens when you hire an ex Tesla employee, for some they may see this is a great thing for others it will be another reason to avoid Ford EVs in the future.

It is also splits your existing customer base, which is never a good idea as you have all the existing Ford EV owners that will have installed a CCS home charger that will now need a adapter plus a potential further hit in trade in value as your new Ford EV and old Ford EV have the wrong connectors.
Is the difference literally just a physical connector difference? If so, people like me would be able to keep their existing charging station and just get a new cable/coupler.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Is the difference literally just a physical connector difference? If so, people like me would be able to keep their existing charging station and just get a new cable/coupler.
People like you and me will continue on as we've been doing for home charging. House power to EVSE to J1772 coupler to vehicle.

Road trips may stay the same, too... You can still use the same, growing network of public charging networks that are available to you today.

This week's announcement provides us with one additional option starting spring 2024 or later... At that time, we might decide to purchase the official Tesla ("NACS") to CCS1 adapter ($) and subscribe to Ford's Blue Oval Charging Network (Θ) so that we would have the additional road-trip option of charging at Supercenter V3 facilities that previously were available exclusively to Tesla branded vehicles.

($) It's very unlikely in my opinion, but it may come to fruition that Ford provides every current US/Canada Ford CCS-EV owner with a Tesla to CCS1 adapter at no cost and without strings attached.

(Θ) Details are forthcoming. It may turn out that we'll be able to charge from Tesla proprietary ("NACS") plugs at Superchargers, and authorize and pay through a Tesla account on the Tesla app or some other billing mechanism other than BOCN.

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘18 Pacifica PHEV, ‘22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
I view this as Farley's admission that it's not going to improve anytime soon, and that glomming on to Tesla's network is the best chance for Model e to succeed.
The current state (reliability) of on the road charging is abysmal. I agree that Farley is trying to ensure the success of Model E. They have to survive into the transition to reliable on the road charging. This necessarily faces many challenges—home charging is preferred by so many owners that it makes demand difficult to gauge while some owners don’t have home charging. Where do you put chargers and what speeds? It’s going to take a while to figure it out. Meanwhile, there aren’t adequate incentives to maintain chargers so some early adopters are opting out.

I read that in 1920 there were 15,000 filling stations in the US. By 1935 there were 200,000. It seems we are closer to the 1920 number of stations while living in a 2023 world of mobility. We are early adopters. Ford and Tesla are putting out new technology. We should all be advocating for any movement that advances the technology.

Reign of Ravens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E Premium, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
Ford is falling behind in the EV space? How do you figure that? The way I see it, you currently have three companies that are producing EVs that people want, in decent numbers, and at prices that are still realistic for a good chunk of the population: Tesla; Kia/Hyundai; and Ford. Sure, there are some slick announcements from many companies, and you can even buy some of them, but the volume production is low and/or prices are quite high. Tesla is far and away #1 but Ford is definitely in the top three, at least in North America, and they are investing heavily into their EV production pipeline. And give credit where it's due, they are the first to get a fully electric pickup in production and onto the road. That's not something you attribute to a company that is falling behind.

If NACS offers a superior experience to CCS, then the best time to make the change is as soon as possible. Overall EV sales volumes are still relatively low, and the sooner the change is made, the less painful it will be, and for fewer people.

I don't think Ford has necessarily chosen anything wrong, here. I just wish we had more insight into what they feel the advantages of NACS are over CCS.

Sagacant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
I'm going to hold Farley to his word where he stated in the video "we're going to ship an adapter to everyone who bought a Ford EV" I have already downloaded the video just in case ;)
Based off the message I got in the FordPass app, I don’t think the adapter will be free

IMG_2431.jpeg

Calgary MACH E

First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD LR
Country flag
It is more than that. NACS puts AC and DC charging on the same pins, no way that works with the current on-board charger. It is also less safe than CCS because of this, takes much more smarts in the car and extra contactors.
If they can build an adapter they can integrate an adapter into the charge port assembly.
Sponsored