Would you still buy the Mach E today?

MargaritavilleNH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT (Aug build week-Oct delivery)
Country flag
Since for the last year you could SELL it for more than you paid for it…….. anyone who honestly says “no” is just punishing themselves for not selling it yet.

Every day you keep it is a decision to buy it all over again at its current value. It’s the same with anything you own.
The "price bubble" on used cars may have finally burst. Vroom's offer for my GT went from $61,446 in August to $45,878 in December.
Sponsored

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I mean, I’m not getting rid of the car. I still love it, and it’s my first EV. It’s also my first new car purchase, made a year and a half ago, almost exactly. I don’t think I would buy any new car right now with interest rates as they are. However, I would definitely recommend the car.
Wish list for improvements:

The climate control system needs way less user interaction
A heat pump
Ventilated seats
HUD
Removing that 5 sec power cut (although it doesn’t apply to my car)

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
The "price bubble" on used cars may have finally burst. Vroom's offer for my GT went from $61,446 in August to $45,878 in December.
I agree. The golden days of buying a new car and selling it for a profit where always going to be temporary.

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
One time, it snowed in GA and laid maybe 1/4 inch. People abandoned their cars on the side of the road.

Hmmm...right now it is 3 degrees here and wind chill down to -30 in some places. Yes this is not normal. Normally North Georgia mountains is around 40's high and 20 lows this time of year. But still lovin our 2021 MAch E Premium AWD.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’d probably buy it again, although it’s a harder decision now than it was over a year ago when I originally ordered it. The pricing is not as good, there are other alternatives now, the tax refund situation is muddier. I really hate the stiffness of our ride (ER AWD Premium) and the software is annoying (CarPlay, please just connect every time). But all that said… it’s still a very compelling package. Looks wise, I still don’t think there’s a better option in the segment. Storage wise it’s also still the best at the price, beating out the Korean offerings that I’d consider as alternatives. Winter range is a problem for most EVs, not just the MME, that hopefully will be mitigated as tech improves. I can’t honestly say there’s another car I want more for comparable money (I’d prefer the BMW SUV, but not for an additional 30K)
That's exactly me too. My #1 "upgrade" would be a softer ride. That's still my biggest ongoing disappointment - the often jarring ride on less-than-perfect city streets. Feels like I'm nearly bottoming out on every dip and road imperfection, like there's very little play in the suspension. It's great on smooth highways and at high speeds, but on local roads it's a disappointingly stiff/rough ride for a nearly $60k car. Not horrible, but definitely worse than I expected. Gotten used to it but I'd sure love for it to be better. I know that's common in EVs though.

But I love nearly every other thing about it (software quirks notwithstanding). I guess I'd like it to sit a little taller too. 63" height is about the bare minimum I want in a vehicle. Not for headroom per se, but because I like to sit high in a vehicle for better visibility. And I hate crawling down into low cars. I'll never own a low car again. That's the first spec I look at when checking out other EVs (height). Sadly, height and aerodynamics are inversely proportionate, so nearly every non-truck BEV is too short for my tastes since they stress aerodynamics so much in the designs (for range).

I will be watching for what Ford comes out with in the coming years under the Lincoln brand. Our last 7 vehicles have been Fords, and I like Sync4 in the MME, so I'd like to stay with many of the same touches I'm used to. And hopefully a Lincoln model would find a way to improve the suspension to make it smoother, since that's their (semi) luxury brand.

ThatGuyLando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CR1
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
Probably not, I'd wait a few years to see if Fordtis still can fix the software. The ioniq 5 looks good as well as a black ev6, but there's also some nice looking evs coming out soon like the blazer.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Yikes...That's a huge drop.
I was thinking of trading in the GTPE, but if I'm only going to get 50k, not worth it. Was planning to get an i4, or maybe even an Etron GT.

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
At the current prices, I would NOT buy a Mach-E.

I love my Mach-e (SR AWD) and if I could buy at the same price I did in 2021 (no ADM and before price increases), I would absolutely consider buying but I would not buy at the current prices.

There are very competitive options like the EV6, Ioniq 5, or ID.4 and would probably get one of those instead as they offer far more value like faster charging, free charging with EA, comparable features and range at a much lower price.
Hell, even the model Y is cheaper with the current Tesla discounts.

satchel prefect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crusty old PHEV
Country flag
All fair.

But it seems people are more excited about the performance than the legroom.

And an ugly fast BEV has been around for a while. The 3P is barely faster to 60 and barely slower in the 1/4.

So again, I just don’t get it. But that’s ok. They make lots of different cars that appeal to different people for different reasons.

Your list does make the EV6 sound like a better 3P though.
It sounds like because you find both the M3 and the EV6 to be ugly, you feel they are natural competitors and counterparts. Yet the EV6 is a five-door design, like a MY, MME, Ariya, Ocean, Ioniq 5. The M3 is a sedan, like the Ioniq 6.

How exactly is the EV6 equivalent to the M3 instead of an alternative to the MME? Is it because neither of them have designs that appeal to you, or because the EV6 roof height splits the difference between the MME and the M3?

In case it matters: my wife (EV6) and I (MME) work in the same building. Both receive very positive feedback, people stopping us to ask about them in the parking lot or around the hallways. Neither are everyone's cup of tea, however.

Doug&Julie

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium LR-RWD
Occupation
Designer
Country flag
Folks, out of curiosity, If you were in the market for an electric SUV today, would you still buy the Mach E?

If not, which one would you go for?
Hmm...I'd put the Mach-E in the top five, but not sure about top dog. I'd cross-shop the EV6, Nissan Ariya, and the Chevy Equinox...none of which were out when we bought our Mach-E. (..not that you can get two of the three now.) If we could stretch our budget, I'd look at the Lyric and maybe the Audi Q4 e-tron.

We weren't looking for a performance EV, just a good crossover/SUV EV with ~300 miles of range and something of a premium feel. At the time, the Mach-e fit the bill. Still does...mostly...but I think there are some options that fit us a bit better.

Gene Bank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
Yes, I would buy another MME. I have a 2022 GT and love the looks of the car. That makes me smile since my purchase in March. I have not had a single glitch with this car. Since I live in NH there is no fast charging network to speak of and my dealership has only serviced one MME. We are retired so most of our driving is less than a 100 mile round trip. So the charging situation is not a problem. What is the most worrying is what happens if there is a mechanical/electrical problem with this car. The dealerships would not have a clue. With all the electrics in this car, something is going to fail at some point.

Today was our first long trip with frigid weather. The range was way down but we were pleasantly surprised with the heat. That was a big concern and today was the first test. I preconditioned the car. It was 7F when we left and 11F when we came back from our 80 mile trip. The cabin heat was more than adequate. Actually it got too warm. One bar was all we needed with the auto heat and temperature set to 72F.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
It sounds like because you find both the M3 and the EV6 to be ugly, you feel they are natural competitors and counterparts. Yet the EV6 is a five-door design, like a MY, MME, Ariya, Ocean, Ioniq 5. The M3 is a sedan, like the Ioniq 6.

How exactly is the EV6 equivalent to the M3 instead of an alternative to the MME? Is it because neither of them have designs that appeal to you, or because the EV6 roof height splits the difference between the MME and the M3?

In case it matters: my wife (EV6) and I (MME) work in the same building. Both receive very positive feedback, people stopping us to ask about them in the parking lot or around the hallways. Neither are everyone's cup of tea, however.
It really just comes down to performance. Since the straight line acceleration seems to be what gets people excited about the EV6 GT. Just pointing out that the M3P has been that fast for a few years now.

All these cars are competitors with each other. Just look how many people here have swapped between the model 3, Mach E and EV6.

But the thing that the EV6 and M3 have more in common? Ugly. 😜

JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
I've been shopping new vehicles, the issue I'm running into is base prices on vehicles I'm interested in are higher priced then a new 2023 Premium ext range. I think even with my terrible dealer experience I may place an order for a new Premium rwd with larger battery. I'll make it identical to my 2021, so nobody will know.

I'm at 18k miles now, and I figure by the time a 2023 shows up I'll be mid 20k miles anyway.

ponEpwr

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTPE, F-150
Country flag
Buy again at a 2023 GTPE price? I'm not so sure. I feel like I'd be swayed to a BMW i4 m50 if I wee to buy an EV today.

Holy Driver

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E RWD SR
Occupation
IT
Country flag
No i wouldn't.
It's too expensive now.
From last year, when I bought my Mach-E, until today the price increased 20 000 euros.
And that is too much.
So I am glad that I was "an early adopter" and ordered mine January 2021 and got it june 2021.
Sponsored