Would you still buy the Mach E today?

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘18 Pacifica PHEV, ‘22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
I would prob buy it at the price I paid for my ‘22 but not ‘23 price. I’d look seriously at the Hundai/Kia options. I drove a MY and won’t consider it as an option.
Sponsored

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
I believe you got your car before me? Mine, ordered 4/27/21, picked up 1/11/22, there had been a battery price increase, I think…….Bill P
Mine ordered 02:17/21 and delivered 08/31/21. I wasn’t forced to pay the $600 BlueCruise fee either. Farley was still holding the price back then.

SROSE

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT
Country flag
NO for me.....I would spend more $$$ and get a Model S or X Plaid. My GT gets a lot of looks but the power limitation/cut off is too much of a buzz kill.

RSH

First Name
RSH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Rapid Red Premium ER
Country flag
Probably. I still feel excited about my MME purchase, but the 2023 would cost $12,000 more than my 2021 Premium extended range so I'd seriously look around to make sure. Having a 3 yr/36k mile warranty on a $65k car doesn't compute for me. I would especially like to see the Audi Q4 e-tron, but I'm disappointed with their range. Same for the Genesis GV-60. The Lyriq has a 4/50 warranty but looks too much like a station wagon/family car for my taste. We have a Tesla M3 that we really like but I like driving a SUV and do not like the M3 and won't spend the money on the MX.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I would look harder at the other options than I did when I made the two ME purchases. But I'm not convinced anything else is quite there yet when all things are considered. "all things" will differ from person to person of course.

Ken Josing

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
YES…! The vehicle is the best I’ve owned, period, and I’m old. Not many vehicles come with all the extras that came with my Premium, 2WD, extended range in February 2021. Recently got updated with Blue Cruise and Alexa, just to name a couple. Sorry Tesla! Love it all, living in Southern California does help, not having the cold weather issues or any issues to date. Go Mach-E!

markb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E
Occupation
S/W Developer
Country flag
Folks, out of curiosity, If you were in the market for an electric SUV today, would you still buy the Mach E?

If not, which one would you go for?
This goes to what I like and dislike about the MME. I have the 2022 version. At the moment, if I had to do it again, I would look at the Kia EV6 or Hyundia Ionic 5 or simular.

That said, I bought it because I had access to all the versions GT, Premium, and base and spend a few weekends with each test driving them and racking up many miles on them. I put my deposit down after driving the GT for the first time. That said, I've also test driven the F-150 Lighting and road tripped it some 1600km. What I missed during these tests was cold weather performance.

What I like:
  • build quality - well build, comfortable, it looks great
  • Ford isn't a startup...and it's not a Telsa with all their quirks (don't need a fart simulator or Xmas mode)
  • Fun to drive - fast
  • It has hard buttons
  • It has a instrument cluster display
  • Hands free driving
  • It has as usable front trunk
  • Supported by a dealer network (yes, I said that...I don't want to use a app to find service, I want to talk to a human)
  • It was only 6 months for the order
What is missing:
  • On demand battery pre-conditioning...without it, you are at the mercy of the car as to what charge rate you get at a fast charger. Most EV's have some way to pre-condition the battery on the go. This is important in winter as I've had charging speeds as low as 38kw/h on a 150kw charger. Although, Ford could put that in with a S/W update.
  • Heat pump. The 5kw heater kills the range in winter.
  • 800V architecture for faster charging or find some way to support 250KW charging.
What I don't like:
  • Sync is still needs some work on reliability (CarPlay) and can be slow to start up, but things are improving
  • Charging pad overheats my iPhone 12
  • Ford up'd the price of the 2023 Premium AWD Long Range to CND$91K. The EV6 is CND$57K for a similar setup or CND$75K for the GT version. I got the 2022 before the price and increase...had I waited, I would have been out of luck as it would beyond my budget
The MME is a great first effort from Ford, but the competition is ramping up. I hope the 2026/2027 versions put in some hardware updates to "fix" some of the shortcomings.

scrb31

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT, Mercedes GL450, VW GLI
Occupation
Construction Operations Manager
Country flag
NO for me.....I would spend more $$$ and get a Model S or X Plaid. My GT gets a lot of looks but the power limitation/cut off is too much of a buzz kill.
LOL - So, if your price point was double what you paid for the Mach E GT, why did you get a Mach E GT to start? Sometimes I can't tell if people are trolling or being serious.

I mean if your options were Porsche Taycan GTS, Model S Plaid, Lucid Air, Audi E-Tron GT, and Mach E GT.... and you landed on the Mach E... That's on you, not the Mach E. What gives, get a fat stacks bonus between when you got the Mach E and now?

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag
Folks, out of curiosity, If you were in the market for an electric SUV today, would you still buy the Mach E?

If not, which one would you go for?
I would’t have bought this one if they were honest about the range, down to c200 miles range RWD ER in UK. Liars! However, now I have been tricked into buying a good range that don’t exist I LOVE it! Am prepared to live with range, 45,500 miles since June ‘21, saved a packet in fuel, company car tax, corporation tax in Y1 and it’s drop-dead gorgeous to boot especially when compared with the already dated design IMO of those Teslas. Sorted out those crappy badges that kept falling off, the dodgy short rear wiper and still ignoring the worse than useless wireless ‘phone charger, the ‘Stang lives on…….for now!

Rob S

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mustang Ecoboost, 2022 MME GT Star White
Country flag
So I replied earlier, but hey we still LOVE our MME. Even with the HVBJB replacement. Even with the $8,500 ADM. The car is FUN to drive. We plan on keeping it. And since there's little to no chance we will ever get back our $$ on a resale, that's probably a good thing.

Stang505

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTPE
Country flag
Not an easy question. The MME GTPE has been a great car. The build quality is solid. No sqeaks or rattles. It's blistering 0-49 mph. But if I had to buy another EV tomorrow, it probably wouldn't be the MME. Primarily because the price point for 2023 is mid $70k and there are now faster EVs that offer more for less like the Kia EV6 GT. The two biggest issues that bother me now are the severe torque degradation with speed and the software has been glitchy and slow. It would be hard to pay $76k for a car that has big brother limiting the power by so much compared to other vehicles. If Ford were to drop this limitation then it would be a yes-would buy it again from me!

Fersigo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
Would I buy another Ford MME? In a word... NO.

On the positive side, my 2021 RWD ER MME looks good, I like driving it and it does what I need in terms of carrying passengers, loads etc.

On the negative side:
- The HVJB "ticking time-bomb" issue - not so much the fault itself but rather the fact that Ford has just left affected vehicles to break down rather then recalling them and fixing the hardware issue.
- My MME suffers a known incompatibility with most rapid chargers in the Scottish network "Chargeplace Scotland". This is by far the largest EV charging network in Scotland and not being able to access it is a real pain. Our dealer says they are still waiting for Ford to fix the issue - but Ford is blaming it on the chargers. Funny, that, because pretty much every other make of EV can use those chargers with no problem. Once again, Ford is washing its hands.
- OTA updates? I've only had two in nine months.
- Phone as a key? Forget it - doesn't work for me, period.
- AC charging? Limited to 11kW instead of the 22kW that most chargers are capable of delivering.
- Range? Having driven EVs for several years I didn't expect to actually achieve the claimed 379 miles, even in ideal conditions. What I am very disappointed with, though, is the dramatic reduction in colder weather - something like 30%, I believe, compared to Tesla's 17%.

Quite a number of people on this thread have compared Ford's MME with Tesla's vehicles, usually in a disparaging way. I don't know why knocking Tesla qualifies as a comment on the MME, but anyway, since others have opened the topic, I can tell you that my wife has owned two Tesla Model 3 cars since 2019 and neither of them has given a minute's stress. Plug them in, anywhere, and they will charge - including at every Chargeplace Scotland rapid charger. Phone as a key just works, every time, no hassle. Range is good; ride quality is smooth; access to the Tesla cahrger network is fantastic; OTA updates roll in roughly every month (or sometimes more often), continually ironing out small bugs or adding new features.

This MME was my first Ford car. It will be my last, and as soon as I can possibly afford to get rid of it, I will.
Sponsored