Wow, 150 Ft lbs of wheel lug nut torque!

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I had no idea so much. My Proto torque wrench stops at 150 ft lbs. I may have to buy a bigger one.
Sponsored

will

First Name
Not Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ridgeline RTL-T, 2022 MME Prem Ext Rwd
Country flag
94 ft lbs for my Honda Ridgline…. Still waiting to get my build date on MME

OP
OP
Nklem

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
94 ft lbs for my Honda Ridgline…. Still waiting to get my build date on MME
Yeah, I just had aftermarket wheels installed. We took a 100 mile drive. I went to retorque them after and at 75 ft lbs of set point they did not budge. My son pulled up the owners manual and 150 is the required torque. I am glad I bought good steel lugs and not the alloy ones.

waiting stinks. I was not in the market when I bought a stock unit. I had to wait 3 days. I cannot imagine the anticipation of waiting months and having these forums to watch for the whole time.

i will say it’s worth the wait.I have had vettes, Chrysler hemis, Audi’s, ram trucks, this is the most fun I have had. 4700 miles in 2 months and a week. I cannot stop driving it!

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I had the same thought too when I looked up the torque specs on the GT500. I've changed wheels and tires several times on that car and never had any issues torquing them to 150. Now using titanium lugs for the past year and only need to torque them to 130 using the recommended ARP lubricant.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Lexus IS300 autox/track car.
Country flag
The high torque spec is because the s550 Mustang and the Mach E have larger diameter wheel studs than usual. It surprised me when I had my 2015 and was often swapping street & track wheels.

If you plan to swap wheels often be warned that the oem lugnuts have a soft cap that deforms easily if you don’t use the proper socket. When I bought the 2015 used I needed three different sockets to get the original nuts off. Ordered some good solid metal ones and threw the Ford junk away.

will

First Name
Not Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ridgeline RTL-T, 2022 MME Prem Ext Rwd
Country flag
On the note of lugs wheels etc… I’ve pretty much always done my own tire rotations and brake inspections on my vehicles… would a 2.5 ton jack and a 3 ton jack stand be sufficient with the Mach E or is it too heavy for that.

Sadly I don’t get all wheels off at once, I’ll swap one side, than the other, then lift the front, (do an oil change on ICE) and swap both fronts.

not sure if the above is feasible with a Mach-e or even worth it.

edit: to be clear I understand the MME is not over my tonnage of my gear, but jacking a car up and getting a jack stand in can be tricky, I’ve not looked under a Mach E yet to see if I’d have the places to bare the load.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
On the note of lugs wheels etc… I’ve pretty much always done my own tire rotations and brake inspections on my vehicles… would a 2.5 ton jack and a 3 ton jack stand be sufficient with the Mach E or is it too heavy for that.

Sadly I don’t get all wheels off at once, I’ll swap one side, than the other, then lift the front, (do an oil change on ICE) and swap both fronts.

not sure if the above is feasible with a Mach-e or even worth it.

edit: to be clear I understand the MME is not over my tonnage of my gear, but jacking a car up and getting a jack stand in can be tricky, I’ve not looked under a Mach E yet to see if I’d have the places to bare the load.
While I do have a lift in my garage, I've used my 2 ton floor jack to quickly lift up the entire side of the Mach-E. You can place jack stands at the areas marked for them in the front and rear.

QuRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford MME RWD/ER (Space White)
Country flag
... I've used my 2 ton floor jack to quickly lift up the entire side of the Mach-E.
And what lift point do you use for that? Is there one specified in the middle of the "frame rail"/under the B pillar? (Don't have the MME yet, so asking for a friend :rolleyes: .)

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
And what lift point do you use for that? Is there one specified in the middle of the "frame rail"/under the B pillar? (Don't have the MME yet, so asking for a friend :rolleyes: .)
There is not one specified in the middle of the frame rail to lift up the entire side. However what I have done is to put the pad of the floor jack about 6" back (towards the rear) of the front specified lift point and from there it will lift up the entire side high enough that you can place a jack stand under both the front and rear specified points on the frame rail.

Sad thing is that I've NEVER seen a tire shop use a torque wrench.
We have several tire shops in our town. Two of them are national chain shops and two are smaller family owned. One of the family owned shops always tightens wheels with a hand torque wrench. That said, while I do bring my trucks in to have wheels put on/taken off, I never bring my cars into the shop for this service. I only do that myself at home. I always have aftermarket wheels on my cars which sometimes are very expensive and just prefer to always do this myself.

Benjamin Kegele

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 21, VW Atlas, Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
Country flag
There is not one specified in the middle of the frame rail to lift up the entire side. However what I have done is to put the pad of the floor jack about 6" back (towards the rear) of the front specified lift point and from there it will lift up the entire side high enough that you can place a jack stand under both the front and rear specified points on the frame rail.

We have several tire shops in our town. Two of them are national chain shops and two are smaller family owned. One of the family owned shops always tightens wheels with a hand torque wrench. That said, while I do bring my trucks in to have wheels put on/taken off, I never bring my cars into the shop for this service. I only do that myself at home. I always have aftermarket wheels on my cars which sometimes are very expensive and just prefer to always do this myself.
so when you lift, do you lift on the square tube or on the metal part which has holes in it towards he outside from the tube?

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
so when you lift, do you lift on the square tube or on the metal part which has holes in it towards he outside from the tube?
The metal part just on the inside of the plastic rocker panel moulding.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Wow, 150 Ft lbs of wheel lug nut  torque! Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 6.23.46 AM

QuRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford MME RWD/ER (Space White)
Country flag
Reactions: Nav

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Interesting graphics - from where is it taken out of? I couldn't find it in the (printed) user manual...
Ford Mach-E service manual.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Sad thing is that I've NEVER seen a tire shop use a torque wrench.
They might be using torque slipping extensions - you put them on an impact wrench and they are designed to slip at the printed torque, meaning you can still "braaap" the lug nuts on and still hit your torque.

They aren't as accurate as a hand torque wrench, but properly used and maintained they should at least prevent major issues. Of course, I'm sure many tire shops aren't even doing that.
Sponsored