Wow, 2 hours and 12,000 gallons of water to extinguish Tesla EV fire!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

su-ch+mache

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford-suv-freunde.com
Vehicles
Escape MY17, Puma MY20, Mach E MY22 AWD ER TP2
Occupation
retired buyer
Country flag
have anyone heard of any burning MMEs?
in Germany I know of onöy Teslas burning down.
(not a big loss😁)

COACH CHRIS

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E AWD Select
Country flag
Knowledgeable fire professionals will tell you there is no real problem putting out EV battery fires, it just takes a lot of water. This is why they use dunk tanks in Europe.
Can confirm. So long as there's a water source, it's fine. If there's not, that's a tough break and you'll need to come up with a Plan B quickly.

In my limited experience, I'd say if there's no water, but also no harm to life or property, protect the perimeter with what water you do have & wait for back-up (water tenders/tankers will be available if requested, just takes time to get there if not particularly local.)

Dave-O

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Odyssey
Occupation
Fuel hauler
Country flag
I think this stuff is usually covered most of the time when it occurs. If there is more attention payed to EV fires in my opinion it’s because this is a relatively new occurance in our society. Gasoline fires have been around a long long time. And I will add that whether the media covers it or not that doesn’t change what does and doesn’t happen.
I’m more referring to the perceived narratives, especially in todays political climate. At any rate, I’m not entirely concerned with EV fires especially as the technology matures and we get safer chemistry’s. Perhaps wishful thinking. Either way I don’t feel any less safe Having the Mach-E in the garage as any other vehicle. Though I’ll certainly make a point to egress quickly in the event of a collision.

mccdeuce

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW e-Golf, 2022 MME Cal RT1 IBSM
Country flag
The good news that isn't included here is that the probability of EV fires is still far lower per vehicle than ICE fires:
https://www.autoinsuranceez.com/gas-vs-electric-car-fires/
Ford Mustang Mach-E Wow, 2 hours and 12,000 gallons of water to extinguish Tesla EV fire! 1-_Car-Fires-by-Vehicle-Type-1
There was heavy discussion in my area about how an ICE fire made news only to discuss the fact it was causing traffic delays. There was a good discussion about the rate of fire for ICE and Tesla per billion miles driven.
Tesla - 4 fires per billion miles driven
ICE - 44 fires per billion miles driven

EVs are Newer tech therefore we need new fire tech. (possibly F-500)

1908 discussion - the horse on fire uses 2 gallons of water to extinguish, the Model T needs 20 gallons.... ;)

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Wow, this is crazy, I had no idea an EV would burn this bad or be this hard to extinguish, 2 hours and 12,000 gallons of water!

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/...ARx83xNKL58ztoqdPlf0OupnNPFc6Cr2G1o29TF3kK898

this is mostly a training issue for fire fighters in my opinion.... stupid to put out an electrical fire with water; should use class C extinguishers or foam.

Better policy to pull the HV relay 'cut loop' before fire starts and before extraction or transit to scrap yard if it wasn't already destroyed. Most first response teams have not been trained on where cut loops ARE, and EV mfg are not making it obvious. I'd be pissed off if I were a first responder or tow truck driver with an EV on my truck or in the yard that bursts into flame after I pick it up.

take our MME for example.... What percentage of first responders do you think have been informed where the HV disconnect is hiding, unmarked, under the friggin 'beauty cover' in the Frunk ?

HENCE, my first recommended mod is cutting 3x 1-7/8" holes in the stupid cover, and labelling

06 added 3rd for HV disco.jpg

mikeinet

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Standard AWD Tech/Comfort
Occupation
Cyber Security, First Responder
Country flag
this is mostly a training issue for fire fighters in my opinion.... stupid to put out an electrical fire with water; should use class C extinguishers or foam.

Better policy to pull the HV relay 'cut loop' before fire starts and before extraction or transit to scrap yard if it wasn't already destroyed. Most first response teams have not been trained on where cut loops ARE, and EV mfg are not making it obvious. I'd be pissed off if I were a first responder or tow truck driver with an EV on my truck or in the yard that bursts into flame after I pick it up.

take our MME for example.... What percentage of first responders do you think have been informed where the HV disconnect is hiding, unmarked, under the friggin 'beauty cover' in the Frunk ?

HENCE, my first recommended mod is cutting 3x 1-7/8" holes in the stupid cover, and labelling

06 added 3rd for HV disco.jpg
not totally 100% true about the foam.

EV fires are due to a thermal runway, or chemical reaction. Using foam to suffocate the oxygen won’t dissipate the heat from the reaction.

A power cutoff, while helpful to know for things like an extrication and cutting posts of the car… won’t have any impact for a fire. Once the chemical reaction starts, denergizing cables won’t help-the batteries are all next to each other and will continue to heat

All EV manufacturers are mandated to have a first responder guide. Discusses suppression, extrication, etc. Quick google will find it for all cars…… if you remember to do that on a scene, that’s another story

some fun readings:
https://auto.hindustantimes.com/aut...-can-t-douse-lithium-fire-41649750793267.html

https://www.evfiresafe.com/ev-fire-what-is-thermal-runaway

https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/dam/aem_fleet/en_us/fleet/showroom/resources/2021_Mach-E_ERG.pdf

Hibtone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Mach E GT
Country flag
Unless you don't have that much water available which sometimes can be the case in outlying or rural areas. But, on the good side you just total the car, get the insurance check and move on to another one. :cool:
Nah. A good body shop can fix that thing right up no problem.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Wow, 2 hours and 12,000 gallons of water to extinguish Tesla EV fire! Screenshot (23)

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag

slimothyjames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
I feel like it would be more effective if they just got a dumptruck full of sand, backed into it, and dumped it.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Fixbear

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 SelectMachE4 SR , Mini SE
Occupation
retired, Construction Mechanic, Refrigeration tech, Ford, GMC, Chevy tech,
Country flag
Don't forget the coal fire under Scranton area.
They had an electric Ferry in Norway earlier this year have a battery fire. Took 2.4 weeks to put out. Gasoline is much more dangerous. It, Hydrogen, and Acetylene have very wide windows of flammability. But I've delt with dozens of car fires and there was never a Gas explosion, just drivelines, bumper shock absorbers, and tires that went boom. Engine fires were much more common when we had Carburetor's.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Texas-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
As a former first responder (many years ago)... where is your electrical fire starting? In that encased battery under your Mach-E? Yeah, they are not getting to that with foam, even if it did matter.

Better policy to pull the HV relay 'cut loop' before fire starts and before extraction or transit to scrap yard if it wasn't already destroyed. Most first response teams have not been trained on where cut loops ARE, and EV mfg are not making it obvious.
Agree with disconnecting before towing to the scrap yard, but who do you think is popping the frunk and pulling the trim panel to get to the disconnect on a burning vehicle? That will never happen. These crews can't be experts on specific vehicles. They get trained in general things.

And, "before fire starts"? Yeah... not going to happen rolling up to an accident scene.

Label all you want, but they are not going to go looking for it. No firefighter I know will shove their gloved hand in a cut-out with a homemade label on it, even if they understood it.
Sponsored