Wow .. ford mobile app (android) doesn't notify when charging fails ?

wavyphotons

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER 2022
Country flag
I'm somewhat shocked that ford mobile app doesn't push a notification if charging fails - charging is one of the most unique things about electric cars and they didn't think to push a notification for that (i really hope they are prioritizing it ) ?

For more context, I got Grizzl-E wall charger 40A (basic non-smart non-wifi version) and have charger configured during night hours - i just randomly checked last night in the app and it said 'charger paused' - Grizzl-E light was flashing blue which means vehicle found but not charging. I unplugged and replugged and it went to solid green which means car is not consuming current and for a long time app just said 'can't connect to ford pass' and then after a while said 'charger stopped at vehicle' .

I flipped the fuse switch to reboot grizzle and this time it started charging. So something had gone wrong between the charger and the car.

Ford app had some messages in the app itself but really this should be a phone notification ! Note: I have disabled the constant useless foreground notification of 'PAAK connecting' but toggling that didn't do anything and I do get other notifications fine (eg car locked).

I'm regretting not getting a smart charger (assuming it has notifications). For now, I have changed charging settings to 'always charge' (I'll pay more in electricity) and will check from the app right after I plug in the charger.

Are there any other workarounds (I'll also report this feedback to ford) - I'm afraid to use the home assistant integration due to them locking people out.
Sponsored

Kmp14

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E Premium AWD Extended
Country flag
I agree that it is odd that FordPass does not push any useful notifications to the phone. I have a JuiceBox, and it does have push notifications, so that is useful.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Please read this: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...-fault-tight-j1772-plug-red-ring-error.23532/

You likely have the issue where the plug isn't getting pushed in fully. This will cause a charging fault after 30 seconds. Grizzl-E's are becoming somewhat notorious for this.

You don't need the app to notify you. Just make sure the blue lights on the charge port blink before walking away every time you plug in. Ensuring that should eliminate most charging faults. If you continue to get them, then you have a defective Grizzl-E charger.

Do not use Home Assistant integration because it will lock your account.

I agree that it is odd that FordPass does not push any useful notifications to the phone. I have a JuiceBox, and it does have push notifications, so that is useful.
They have server issues so sometimes the charging status doesn't update.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wavyphotons

wavyphotons

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER 2022
Country flag
Thanks! I'll keep an eye on the charger light next time. However, in this case I contacted them and they said for some reason my car is not sending updates back to their system and that could have caused it . They had me try a few things on the car itself and that didn't help so they have escalated the case and are investigating it.
Sponsored