Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Feb 22 2021 1837 - 2021 Mustang Mach-E - Illuminated Powertrain Malfunction (Wrench) Indicator With DTCs - HV Battery Not Charging At Level 3 DC Fast Charging Station/EVSE
Some 2021 Mustang Mach-E vehicles experience an illuminated powertrain malfunction (wrench) indicator with diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) U3000-16, U3000-64, U3000-04 and/or U3000-45 in the off board charging controller (OBCC) module and the high voltage (HV) battery will not charge using a level 3 DC fast charging station/electrical vehicle supply equipment (EVSE). The HV battery will still charge with a level 1 and level 2 EVSE. The customer can disconnect the Level 3 DC fast charger coupler from the vehicle, then reconnect to reset the OBCC and allowcharging. Engineering is currently working on a revised OBCC calibration to correct for this concern that should be available late May 2021. Let the customer know they can continue to drive the vehicle and schedule a follow-up appointment for repair in June 2021. Monitor OASIS for updates.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Feb 22 2021 1837 - 2021 Mustang Mach-E - Illuminated Powertrain Malfunction (Wrench) Indicator With DTCs - HV Battery Not Charging At Level 3 DC Fast Charging Station/EVSE
Some 2021 Mustang Mach-E vehicles experience an illuminated powertrain malfunction (wrench) indicator with diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) U3000-16, U3000-64, U3000-04 and/or U3000-45 in the off board charging controller (OBCC) module and the high voltage (HV) battery will not charge using a level 3 DC fast charging station/electrical vehicle supply equipment (EVSE). The HV battery will still charge with a level 1 and level 2 EVSE. The customer can disconnect the Level 3 DC fast charger coupler from the vehicle, then reconnect to reset the OBCC and allowcharging. Engineering is currently working on a revised OBCC calibration to correct for this concern that should be available late May 2021. Let the customer know they can continue to drive the vehicle and schedule a follow-up appointment for repair in June 2021. Monitor OASIS for updates.
I discussed this with the Field Service Engineer working on Marlin. If this does occur, it will likely occur shortly after connecting the charger. Simply unplug the charger, wait a minute or two, and then plug it back in. The vehicle should then charge after the on-board charger module resets.

It's unclear if the reconnect may occur at an unusually slow rate. It might also be a good idea to just hop to another stall.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Oh no. Not OTA?
Maybe not but should be routine service. Note that the bulletin doesn't say that. It's possible they plan an OTA for it between now and then and the dealer will wave-off the appointment if it becomes unnecessary. It is clearly judged to be non-critical as they are talking about scheduling June appointments.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Maybe not but should be routine service. Note that the bulletin doesn't say that. It's possible they plan an OTA for it between now and then and the dealer will wave-off the appointment if it becomes unnecessary. It is clearly judged to be non-critical as they are talking about scheduling June appointments.
Agreed it's non-critical given what it says is the symptom and resolution.

My concern is that I never want to set foot in the dealer. There's no real reason with an OTA-able car that I ever should have to. I can do the cabin filter myself, and Belle Tire can do the tires. Next time I want to be in a dealer is the next time I have to buy a new car, and not a moment sooner. I hoped the OTA would allow that.

But you're right, maybe it will be OTA as well.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Hmmm. I wonder if this is why I've had 2 DCFC sessions stop randomly after a bit. Both times It was close enough to where I was going to stop that I didn't re-plug. Charging sessions where the vehicle charges slow like under 50kw, it works fine. But the 2 that failed they were charging at 90kw and 105kw.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Hmmm. I wonder if this is why I've had 2 DCFC sessions stop randomly after a bit. Both times It was close enough to where I was going to stop that I didn't re-plug. Charging sessions where the vehicle charges slow like under 50kw, it works fine. But the 2 that failed they were charging at 90kw and 105kw.
If it happens again, check the driver display for the wrench. I don't know if it sends a signal to the FordPass app as well.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
If it happens again, check the driver display for the wrench. I don't know if it sends a signal to the FordPass app as well.
I tried 20+ times at least six different plugs at EA Albany, NY Sat evening (2/20/21) with various faults some from the car, Ford Pass notified fault each time. I did not know to check for the wrench. Gave up there, did L2 for a while.

Later, one fault at GreenLots (could be this situation), where second try worked, and cold wx charge worked at 44kW. Interesting.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I don't remember if it gives the wrench, but it does pop up on the screen "Charger Fault Please See Charger" or something along those lines, and i do get a notification in fordpass as well.

I will say, it does seem like its the car stopping the charging. The station shows its still going but the car starts saying unlocking charging port, then the error on the dash, then the station says charging fault.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I wonder if this is why some f the review units had so much trouble at the high speed charge stations.
I've wondered the same thing.

sldave84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e GT
Country flag
How does this work in terms of the fees for charging if you switch to different stalls since some of them have a minimum fee? For instance if a ChargePoint stall charges $5 minimum and then you change stalls you get hit with another $5?

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
How does this work in terms of the fees for charging if you switch to different stalls since some of them have a minimum fee? For instance if a ChargePoint stall charges $5 minimum and then you change stalls you get hit with another $5?
Have you actually come across this? We have some here that have a "Session Fee" of $1. But other than that no minimums.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Agreed it's non-critical given what it says is the symptom and resolution.

My concern is that I never want to set foot in the dealer. There's no real reason with an OTA-able car that I ever should have to. I can do the cabin filter myself, and Belle Tire can do the tires. Next time I want to be in a dealer is the next time I have to buy a new car, and not a moment sooner. I hoped the OTA would allow that.

But you're right, maybe it will be OTA as well.
Most dealers in my area will allow you to drop off your car for service without requiring you to enter the building. You can even pay with your credit card over the phone and pick your car up with contactless delivery. If you search around your area you might find a dealer with similar service options.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Most dealers in my area will allow you to drop off your car for service without requiring you to enter the building. You can even pay with your credit card over the phone and pick your car up with contactless delivery. If you search around your area you might find a dealer with similar service options.
I mean yes, but that still doesn't compare to the car just updating itself while I sleep.
Sponsored