WSJ: For Maximum EV Efficiency, Stick to 25 Miles an Hour, Ignore Angry Drivers

cmonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MME GT Star White ✅
Country flag
There you go folks! You all are driving too fast!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ev-electric-car-battery-charge-hypermiler-11642517385

"The Ford Mustang Mach-E electric car can hit 60 miles an hour from a standstill in 3.5 seconds. Fergal McGrath prefers to keep the needle stuck at a grandfatherly 40 mph. He’s after a different kind of bragging rights.

Mr. McGrath is a hypermiler, someone who tries to coax as much mileage as possible from their fuel, whether gas or electric. The practice requires driving at a plodding pace to conserve energy, around 40 to 50 mph on a gas-powered vehicle. The efficiency sweet spot on an electric car can be agonizingly slow—sometimes below 30 mph."
Sponsored

snowy_91

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Ice Blue GT Performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
With most cars 40 mph is the sweet spot before wind resistance becomes an issue.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I can't even drive 25mph outside my HOA. Everybody is going 40mph in a 30-35mph small road!

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
I don’t like articles like this, they continue to push the idea that EVs are finicky and that you have to drive them like an idiot just to make them work. I know the article itself is about hypermiling, which is a hobby for a few people, but the clickbait title is all most will see.

All cars are most efficient at around that speed. You are just looking for the crossover point when aerodynamic losses begin to exceed constant losses. That speed varies depending on the engine type and aerodynamics of the car but will tend to land in that 20-40mph zone.

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I don’t like articles like this, they continue to push the idea that EVs are finicky and that you have to drive them like an idiot just to make them work.
Just don't read the "Comments" section of any WSJ article related to EVs. The responses will make your blood boil. I got sucked in once or twice, and the anti-EV trolls are out in force.

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Just don't read the "Comments" section of any WSJ article related to EVs. The responses will make your blood boil. I got sucked in once or twice, and the anti-EV trolls are out in force.
Very true. I end up writing drafts and deleting them before I click post… it’s just not worth it, but super hard to resist getting sucked in.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Remember all the Hypermiler stories when hybrids came out, looks like we've come full circle.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Remember all the Hypermiler stories when hybrids came out, looks like we've come full circle.
It’s the Prius all over again, except 100X worse. I can see some “hypermiler” doing 30 on the freeway ?
Sponsored