Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Driving on 91 in CT, cruise control on, set at 4 over the limit. There are 4 places where the speed limit changes, 65-55-65-55. At each change, the cruise control suddenly reset to 20 OVER! Anyone else ever have this happen? I don't use CC very often, but I am absolitely certain this isn't the way it's suppposed to work...

A bit scary, certainly an exceptionally unsafe event.
Sponsored

OP
OP

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
I turned off speed sign recognition and never see this happen.
Seems like the kind of workaround you shouldn't have to do. Fortunately I was at a low (30% and below) SoC, and at highway speed, so in all kinds of grey bar hell, or a sudden jump from 60 to 85 could have been all kinds of ugly.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Seems like the kind of workaround you shouldn't have to do. Fortunately I was at a low (30% and below) SoC, and at highway speed, so in all kinds of grey bar hell, or a sudden jump from 60 to 85 could have been all kinds of ugly.
Yeah of course. Lots of vehicle tech doesn't live up to marketed expectations though, across all brands.

I've never experienced gray bar hell so I wouldn't know what that's like. On my lowly std range, rwd vehicle, if I change cruising speed from 60 to 85, and my lane of travel is fully clear in front of me (I use adaptive cruise), the car accelerates at a reasonably slow pace to reach the new target speed. I'd have plenty of time to react. I guess a GT handles this situation more abruptly?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Driving on 91 in CT, cruise control on, set at 4 over the limit. There are 4 places where the speed limit changes, 65-55-65-55. At each change, the cruise control suddenly reset to 20 OVER! Anyone else ever have this happen? I don't use CC very often, but I am absolitely certain this isn't the way it's suppposed to work...

A bit scary, certainly an exceptionally unsafe event.
Change the setting from +20 to what you prefer, or turn it off. Settings > Driver Assistance > Cruise Control > Speed Sign Recognition > Set to +5 MPH or whatever you like.

MJ's Mach E

First Name
Duffey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My experience with speed sign recognition is different but still annoying. 40mph will inexplicably change to 30mph. Happens on same 2 roads I use all the time. Worked fine until a few weeks ago.
Did your MME recently get an OTA update? Seems that some updates cause more problems than they solve. After the 3.5.4. update that loaded on October 19th, my 2022 MMEGTPE lost navigation, couldn't access driver profiles, & speed limit sign recognition wouldn't change the speed.
Check your Ford Pass app. Click on account, scroll down to Message Center. Click there to find out if there has been a recent OTA update.
Good Luck.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Change the setting from +20 to what you prefer, or turn it off. Settings > Driver Assistance > Cruise Control > Speed Sign Recognition > Set to +5 MPH or whatever you like.
This ^^^

The only issue here is the OP not setting the vehicle to do what they want it to do.

OP
OP

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Will do. Odd programming choice for 20+ to be the default.

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Will do. Odd programming choice for 20+ to be the default.
It isn't set to that by default. By default it's at 0.

It may not be your problem, as it can make mistakes, it's why it's a driver assistance feature and not replacement. I have it on our F-150 and MME and it makes mistakes maybe one time in a hundred where it adjusts to speed changes. Most of those are it mistakenly slowing down for a school zone outside of school zone hours, but I can forgive that.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
As has been said above...change your tolerances either to 0 or to +5 or +10.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
You either accidentally set speed sign recognition to +20 OR it read a speed sign wrong. Did it show the correct speed limit when it set it higher? Speed sign recognition uses cameras and can easily be wrong. In my Porsche it sometimes is wrong too.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
It is not the tolerance changing, it is the speed sign itself. I turned that feature off, never ever had the issue again. I was doing 80mph one day on a freeway with 75mph limit, and the speed sign went to 5mph, because the GPS was way off. Very rapid deceleration while passing a semi. This is a recurring bug in the MME.

FYI, during that trip the Nav showed my car driving on a golf course, rather than the freeway.

OON7

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 22 GTPE DMG // Previous: 21 Select CG
Country flag
Sounds like everyone has it covered, but just be careful too if it reads the sign wrong! Very rare for me but there is one spot here in Columbus on 670 where it reads a 65 sign as 85.

Still not as bad as my previous 2019 Honda Insight that would read one sign on 270 as 100 every time!

Blackpony

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have to stop saying this but I am still learning this car, or should I say it's tech, but yesterday driving on roods that have Bluecruse I put it into hands free. It was interesting but it did allow me to set cruse control. Several times the set speed suddenly dropped down to a much lower speed. I had set about 10 mph over posted speed. After this happened a few times I realized that this happed when the posted speed limit changed, like 65 to 50. Not a big deal but I would have thought that the car would have continued at the speed I had set because it wasn't set at an amount over the speed limit, like speed limit plus 10. I can see the logic but it seems a little too big brotherish.

OP
OP

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
As has been said above...change your tolerances either to 0 or to +5 or +10.
Done. I'm 98% sure I never set it to +20. Didn't even know that was a thing until now.

And yes, I know it's a driver's aid, not something to rely on. I was paying attention and not relying on the system, but it was a surprise nonetheless.
Sponsored