Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Done. I'm 98% sure I never set it to +20. Didn't even know that was a thing until now.

And yes, I know it's a driver's aid, not something to rely on. I was paying attention and not relying on the system, but it was a surprise nonetheless.
I wouldn’t trust it too much. Speed recognition will constantly see the two same 55 signs as 85 on my regular route lol.
i have it disabled in cruise control but you can still see what it thinks the sign reads on the dash. It’s kinda pointless really, just go with the flow of traffic.
Sponsored

OP
OP

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
I wouldn’t trust it too much. Speed recognition will constantly see the two same 55 signs as 85 on my regular route lol.
i have it disabled in cruise control but you can still see what it thinks the sign reads on the dash. It’s kinda pointless really, just go with the flow of traffic.
100%. Currently disabled.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Done. I'm 98% sure I never set it to +20. Didn't even know that was a thing until now.

And yes, I know it's a driver's aid, not something to rely on. I was paying attention and not relying on the system, but it was a surprise nonetheless.
A kid or dealer tech might have set it to +20 as a prank.

I haven’t had any issues with it misreading the signs yet. I use it 90% of the time while driving. My only gripe is it doesn’t slow down early when entering a reduced speed zone.

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
I experienced this for the first time today. Turned on blue cruise and it gunned it to 85 on the freeway which has a 65 limit. When I stopped, I double checked and I am set for +5 as the default.

OP
OP

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
I experienced this for the first time today. Turned on blue cruise and it gunned it to 85 on the freeway which has a 65 limit. When I stopped, I double checked and I am set for +5 as the default.
Interesting

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I have to stop saying this but I am still learning this car, or should I say it's tech, but yesterday driving on roods that have Bluecruse I put it into hands free. It was interesting but it did allow me to set cruse control. Several times the set speed suddenly dropped down to a much lower speed. I had set about 10 mph over posted speed. After this happened a few times I realized that this happed when the posted speed limit changed, like 65 to 50. Not a big deal but I would have thought that the car would have continued at the speed I had set because it wasn't set at an amount over the speed limit, like speed limit plus 10. I can see the logic but it seems a little too big brotherish.
How can you say it's "Big Brotherish" when YOU, the driver, turn on or off Speed Sign Recognition plus YOU set the + limit? It's doing exactly what you've set it for.

Road near my house had no signs and no limit in the database. Speed limit is 55. The database now displays 25... The manual tells me this might happen.

I have had multiple occasions where in a 70mph zone the system reads the speed of the weigh station and tries to slow to 25mph or less.

SPEED SIGN RECOGNITION –
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Why does the speed limit change
without any sign on the road?
The speed limit changes due to the
speed limit data stored in the map
data.
Why does speed sign recognition show
a wrong speed limit?
The system shows a wrong speed limit
due to incorrect and outdated map
data or due to incorrect recognition of
the speed limits by the camera.

Seems like a lot of people need to sit in their vehicles and run through every option on every screen, turning off things they don't want, or don't understand.

I wonder how many know what Evasive Steering Assist is?

Blackpony

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Dear RickMachE, I must say I was a bit taken aback by your post, enough so that I decided to sleep on it. Having done that I am still a bit taken aback. I have owned my MME about 6 weeks and I note you have had yours about 15 months. I was looking for input and you provided some but your manor was very much in my face: telling me that “YOU, the driver, turn on or off Speed Sign Recognition plus YOU set the + limit? It's doing exactly what you've set it for.” Actually what I did set it for was a speed in MPH that I wanted the car to operate at and it had nothing to do with the speed limit. As I stated I was surprised that the car changed the speed to conform to the posted speed. It did not forget what I had set for the speed because it was noted in the upper right corner of the display and returned to that set speed when I clicked on the center button. For what it is worth, one of the first things I asked about when I bought the car was where the owners manual was and I was told it was in the system. I searched and downloaded a PDF of the 2021 model year MME, which was the only one I could find, and read it pretty much cover to cover. As I stated at the beginning of my post, I was and still am leaning and most of that learning is the tech stuff.

Having reviewed your post history in the forum, I did see that the way you treated me is not unusual. I suspect you have appointed yourself as the constable keeping a sharp eye out for others who do or say something you feel is wrong. That is fine and like I said you did provide information that may help me in my understanding and operation of this very special vehicle. Going forward I hope you can give me some latitude as I continue to learn.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
I have to stop saying this but I am still learning this car, or should I say it's tech, but yesterday driving on roods that have Bluecruse I put it into hands free. It was interesting but it did allow me to set cruse control. Several times the set speed suddenly dropped down to a much lower speed. I had set about 10 mph over posted speed. After this happened a few times I realized that this happed when the posted speed limit changed, like 65 to 50. Not a big deal but I would have thought that the car would have continued at the speed I had set because it wasn't set at an amount over the speed limit, like speed limit plus 10. I can see the logic but it seems a little too big brotherish.
Under your Cruise Control settings, you have the option underneath Adaptive Cruise Control to turn on or off “Speed Sign Recognition.” If you don’t like the Mach-E reading and adjusting to the changes in speed signs, you can turn that off and still have the advantages of Adaptive Cruise without the car changing speed when the signs change. If you read through posts here, I think you’ll find it’s probably close to a 50/50 split of people who like that feature and people who don’t. I like it because it helps me on the many roads around me which are perfectly fine in cruise control but have a number of speed changes :):cough:: speed traps::) within a short distance. Others find that they live in areas with a lot of parallel side streets, and the Mach-E can often read the speed limit sign from the side street instead of the main highway, and that will cause issues for them so they’ll turn it off.

If you haven’t yet, I highly recommend trying to find some uninterrupted time (hah, as if that’s a thing anymore) to sit down and go through every setting screen and all of its options; you might find some interesting nuggets in there to tailor the Mach-E to your liking. (And you’ll also possibly find that you’ll set some settings and they’ll be forgotten and/or never saved, but maybe one day the bug exterminator will come for the SYNC panel.)

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Yeah the option to match the read speed for cruise control got turned off quite quickly for me, when my car read a 35 mph speed limit sign as 85 mph and started accelerating.

Gotta wonder what the QA test cases were for this feature, and whether anyone actually drove with it and thought that was good enough to ship.

OP
OP

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Yeah the option to match the read speed for cruise control got turned off quite quickly for me, when my car read a 35 mph speed limit sign as 85 mph and started accelerating.

Gotta wonder what the QA test cases were for this feature, and whether anyone actually drove with it and thought that was good enough to ship.
Had I known the auto-accelerate feature was part of speed sign recognition I would most certainly have turned it off. Had I known Speed recognition was a setting to toggle I would have almost certainly turned it off as well - it was a bit of a surprise that it appeared to be defaulted to "on" and "+20." As you say, who did the QA and thought that set up worked well?

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Had I known the auto-accelerate feature was part of speed sign recognition I would most certainly have turned it off. Had I known Speed recognition was a setting to toggle I would have almost certainly turned it off as well - it was a bit of a surprise that it appeared to be defaulted to "on" and "+20." As you say, who did the QA and thought that set up worked well?
....And decided it was a great idea to set it to be on by default. It's not like these speed limit signs are unusual either, they seem to be the pretty standard ones used everywhere in the US.
Sponsored