Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
63.5 Galaxie XL 427, 64 Falcon Sprint, 66 Mustang
Occupation
retired USAF officer
Country flag
I'm an old new guy, 75 years old, and not very smart when it comes to computers. My wife and I, in addition to the four 1960s classic Fords we own, had owned a 2017 Chevy Bolt for the last four years and were quite happy with it overall as we spent $0.00 on its propulsion during those four years. We have solar panels on our roof which produce more electricity than the two of us can use and we only drove it locally so all charging was done at home. Then came the little problem of a few Bolts catching fire, safety recalls, recommendations from GM not to park in its garage, etc., etc. GM promised brand new battery packs with 8 year, 100,000 mile warranties, but little in the way of real action came our way. So, having read Car and Driver's rave review of the Mach E, culminating in a 2021 EV of the Year award, we went to our Ford dealer on July 21st and ordered one, while at the same time writing to GM and enquiring about selling our Bolt back to them as its resale value took a huge hit - "repurchasing" is what GM calls it. I have purchased several new cars in my life, and my experience regarding the MME is the strangest - notwithstanding the Coronavirus epidemic. Here I might mention that I worked at my local dealer, Jack Loftus Ford in Hinsdale, Illinois for three months in the Spring of 1964 at exactly the time when the original Mustang broke cover. I was a "lot boy" whose job was to wash the used cars, push a broom in the maintenance area, and drive customer"s home. When the 1964.5 (marketed as a 1965) Mustang arrived, there were never enough cars to meet demand. Customers were encouraged
to order cars equipped the way they wanted. If I can read my DuPont 1964 Automotive Colors book correctly, there were 27 (!!!) exterior colors for the Mustang buyer to choose from, and 12 interior colors. The dealer always kept at least one "demonstrator" car on hand for customers to see and drive. To begin with, Mustangs were built only at the Dearborn plant, but demand was so great that plants at Metuchen, New Jersey and San Jose, California soon added Mustangs to their build mix. After the initial surge, special order cars might be expected to arrive at dealers in 6 weeks. So now, 58 years later, GM has repurchased our Bolt from us and it's been seven months since we ordered our MME, and we can't get much information about when we will ever see it. We haven't driven one, haven't even seen one except fleetingly on the road - a total of four. Now that we have found your forum, we hope to get some real time honest information. Thanks.
Sponsored

Peaceowl

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hello and welcome to the forum of Mache dreamers!
it appears to be an exceptional wait for our cars, many people think is ridiculous.
my husband and I are older too, and hate wasting months waiting for anything! We did luck out and after 6 months waiting we decided to bail out of our Premium order, and reorder a GTPE.ā€¦another 6 months. I mentioned to the nice dealer that if any GTs get turned down to please call us. They did, and we had a new GTPE 5 weeks after our order!

my husbands father had the first 1964.5 Mustang so this brings back memories. We have owned numerous different brands, I was actually considering a Etron q4, but they arenā€™t even out yet in the US! And according to their Forums they have long waits, and similar problems, as many other cars do as well.

have you been following your car online with your vin number?
plase read all the sticky posts that pertain to orders and how to insure you get a car with no adm markups. There is so much info here! Get everything in writing.

welcome aboard. The car is worth the wait, itā€™s an amazing drive with the positive steering and pleasant ride. Good luck. Try checking online purchase dealers too. I saw ten new cars available in my area at MSRP, within 75 miles.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I'm an old new guy, 75 years old, and not very smart when it comes to computers. My wife and I, in addition to the four 1960s classic Fords we own, had owned a 2017 Chevy Bolt for the last four years and were quite happy with it overall as we spent $0.00 on its propulsion during those four years. We have solar panels on our roof which produce more electricity than the two of us can use and we only drove it locally so all charging was done at home. Then came the little problem of a few Bolts catching fire, safety recalls, recommendations from GM not to park in its garage, etc., etc. GM promised brand new battery packs with 8 year, 100,000 mile warranties, but little in the way of real action came our way. So, having read Car and Driver's rave review of the Mach E, culminating in a 2021 EV of the Year award, we went to our Ford dealer on July 21st and ordered one, while at the same time writing to GM and enquiring about selling our Bolt back to them as its resale value took a huge hit - "repurchasing" is what GM calls it. I have purchased several new cars in my life, and my experience regarding the MME is the strangest - notwithstanding the Coronavirus epidemic. Here I might mention that I worked at my local dealer, Jack Loftus Ford in Hinsdale, Illinois for three months in the Spring of 1964 at exactly the time when the original Mustang broke cover. I was a "lot boy" whose job was to wash the used cars, push a broom in the maintenance area, and drive customer"s home. When the 1964.5 (marketed as a 1965) Mustang arrived, there were never enough cars to meet demand. Customers were encouraged
to order cars equipped the way they wanted. If I can read my DuPont 1964 Automotive Colors book correctly, there were 27 (!!!) exterior colors for the Mustang buyer to choose from, and 12 interior colors. The dealer always kept at least one "demonstrator" car on hand for customers to see and drive. To begin with, Mustangs were built only at the Dearborn plant, but demand was so great that plants at Metuchen, New Jersey and San Jose, California soon added Mustangs to their build mix. After the initial surge, special order cars might be expected to arrive at dealers in 6 weeks. So now, 58 years later, GM has repurchased our Bolt from us and it's been seven months since we ordered our MME, and we can't get much information about when we will ever see it. We haven't driven one, haven't even seen one except fleetingly on the road - a total of four. Now that we have found your forum, we hope to get some real time honest information. Thanks.
Welcome! I recommend searching ā€œrange in winterā€ and ā€œOTA update versionā€ because these are the most answered questions on here

Last edited:

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Funny, I too am almost 75 (in Aug), in fall of '64, I needed a car for college the following year.....we went to our Ford dealer in Hackensack, NJ.....my dad was lending me the $$ for a used car....we saw a '60 Corvair, bought it BUT, I didn't have a job at the time so my dad told the salesman that we would only buy the car if they gave me a job, haha....so I too became a "lot boy"....I did everything, put on plates, washed, made sure used cars were gassed up etc, etc.....a great job at the time......

in year 2 of college my Corvair died, got my '67 dark green Mustang......kept that until my wife was expecting our son, with 2 dogs, one a lab, we had to turn in the Mustang for a station wagon, oh boy!!.........

I too am weak with tech stuff.....I use the fob only......get in the car and drive.......it is a car after all.....I use the climate stuff that I want too......but not much else......only charge at home (we don't really travel), mostly local stuff......and I still only charge 120 line, enough for me

I reserved in 2019, ordered in summer of 2020, picked up Feb 2021, a long wait but worth it.....I have a Select w/SR battery, RWD w/comfort, appearance pkg

good luck to a fellow "lot boy" haha

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Good Luck! Seems like the ordering process is taking a lot longer than it did last year. My Wifeā€™s order took less than 5 months!

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
You may not be very smart when it comes to computers, but you are a hell of a writer, so I would say you will be able to figure things out better than most. Great info and story about the 64.5 Mustangs. Curious; were most of them the straight 6, early on?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Welcome.

Spend your waiting time reading on the forum, there is a great deal of knowledge here. As your delivery gets closer, you can also go to owner.ford.com and download a PDF of the manual to all your devices (no printed manual comes with cars these days).

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
Iā€™m late 60ā€™s. The S.O. and I picked up our MME off the lot in that strange mid-summer period of ā€˜21 when they werenā€™t quite a thing yet and used car prices were rapidly rising.

Iā€™ve almost 12,000 miles accrued in 6 months due to my daily commute. Charge at home. A very quiet car with power to spare. A bit techy, think iPhone on wheels. Other than having the front window resealed under warranty.. no issues.

A lot of information on this site. I posted s 10,000 mile review in early December. You will find a number of owners with 10,000-20,000 miles.

Charging from home is a must for most utility/efficiency. The most time consuming thing I did was change out a 30 amp breaker to a 40 amp and a 30 amp dryer outlet to a NEMA 40 amp to handle the level 2 charger provided with MME. Assess your charging 1st. Sounds like you may be already setup?

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
My wife and I placed our orders for 2 Prem, awd, ex on May 2, '21. Our dealer called my wife in 8 days with a cancellation of her exact car, due in a month. I got a call in 3 months with a cancelled order sitting on their lot, it was my order but for the color, I took it. My ordered car is due later this month... That's 9 months! I'm glad I didn't wait.

We both love this car but for minor glitched around the edges, like Phone as a Key. I don't miss it.

Welcome to the forum.

That Galaxie... whew! Quite a car. A fellow in our British Car Club has a '64 IIRC.
Sponsored