Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
Posting a quick update to UK Specifications and pricing (minor changes and EV Grant reductions)
Sponsored

Attachments

MadScientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes
Country flag
Tesla have reduced the UK price of their long range M3 such that it qualifies for the grant. (At least Tesla thinks it does). I wonder if Ford will follow suit?

Last edited:

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid Sport Turismo
Country flag
Electrochromic glass in the roof? wow... Can the driver manually adjust it (like passengers can at their windows in a Boeing Dreamliner jet)?

The Polestar 2 states at its website that it will have electrochromic glass, but I have not been able to find out if the driver can manually adjust the amount of light coming in or not. This should be an option with any panoramic glass roof.

Last edited:

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid Sport Turismo
Country flag
I really wish the US auto makers would offer the same Quickclear windscreen option they offer in Europe. It is a great feature when you are getting ready for a winter drive - a frost free windshield in far less time than using a hot air from a defroster. I have no idea why it has never been offered in the US.
I have it in my 2019 Macan, and it's excellent. The VW Group now gives it as an option in many vehicles. It's actually good not just for winter: I use it all the time to quickly remove condensation/fog on the inside of my windshield when the temp is well above freezing, without blown air (and the noise that comes with blown air).

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
Electrochromic glass in the roof? wow... Can the driver manually adjust it (like passengers can at their windows in a Boeing Dreamliner jet)?

The Polestar 2 states at its website that it will have electrochromic glass, but I have not been able to find out if the driver can manually adjust the amount of light coming in or not. This should be an option with any panoramic glass roof.
I know it states in here that it will be electrochromic, but I remain skeptical. It's odd that Ford would not have that stated anywhere else. I can't find it in any other press release or announcement. Whereas, Rivian for example talks about its electrochromic glass roof everywhere.
If it truly is electrochromic (instead of just merely tinted as previously disclosed) the marketing folks at Ford are doing a very crappy job.
Hope I'm wrong though.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
It will be low e coated glass not electrochromatic.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For several reasons. I read somewhere a ford employee describe it as low e coating. Two I am in commercial window business and know coatings. It just seems from a cost and reliability point of view low e makes more sense than electrochromatic glass. I will have to find that quote. It stuck with me primarily due to familiarity with the term.

Last edited:

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just did a search and dealers are describing it as low-e. Here is a quote from Phil Long Ford

Glass Roof
The benefits of this available Panoramic Fixed Glass roof go beyond its expansive view. Special coating is designed to help the interior stay cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter with a Low-E on the roof and Infra-red Reflective coating on the windshield.

SJ_Okay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD ER Mach-E
Occupation
Film and Music Producer
Country flag
Just did a search and dealers are describing it as low-e. Here is a quote from Phil Long Ford

Glass Roof
The benefits of this available Panoramic Fixed Glass roof go beyond its expansive view. Special coating is designed to help the interior stay cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter with a Low-E on the roof and Infra-red Reflective coating on the windshield.
Cheers for the research. Good to know this now to avoid disappointment when it arrives.

OP
OP
Wonky_Donkey

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
Can I just reiterate something here.... it was me that started the whole glass roof being electrochroamatic.

• This was based on a conversation I had with a Ford representative at the London launch event, and not some dodgy ill informed dealership salesperson.

• I took what he said in good faith that this was to be a feature of the panoramic glass roof.

• In reality - nobody knows for sure one way or the other. Until we get actual real production vehicles in the hands of reviewers and customers there will be meany features that will remain a mystery.
Please don't shoot the messenger!

I've been working really hard at getting the latest info from reputable sources so that I can share it with you all while we wait for the real thing to materialise. I've travelled all over to secure 3hrs of time with multiple prototype vehicles and with Ford staff, but apparently that doesn't seem to count for anything.

I think it's maybe time for me to take a back seat and let someone else do the work. ?

06VistaGT

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach E, '06 Mustang GT, '06 Explorer, '15 CRV
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
Can I just reiterate something here.... it was me that started the whole glass roof being electrochroamatic.

• This was based on a conversation I had with a Ford representative at the London launch event, and not some dodgy ill informed dealership salesperson.

• I took what he said in good faith that this was to be a feature of the panoramic glass roof.

• In reality - nobody knows for sure one way or the other. Until we get actual real production vehicles in the hands of reviewers and customers there will be meany features that will remain a mystery.
Please don't shoot the messenger!

I've been working really hard at getting the latest info from reputable sources so that I can share it with you all while we wait for the real thing to materialise. I've travelled all over to secure 3hrs of time with multiple prototype vehicles and with Ford staff, but apparently that doesn't seem to count for anything.

I think it's maybe time for me to take a back seat and let someone else do the work. ?
I think most everyone on this forum appreciates the effort you have made and the volume of information you were able to extract. I for one will be interested to see if the roof is a low e coating or electrochromatic. Seems like conflicting data coming from multiple reputable sources. Maybe ford is going back and forth? Anyway, the waiting game continues.

It is clear a few folks haven't read all the threads and are reacting solely based on select information. I wouldn't put too much stock in their comments if you find them disheartening.

OP
OP
Wonky_Donkey

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
I wouldn't put too much stock in their comments if you find them disheartening.
Thanks for your kind words - in hindsight I know I'm overreacting.

I'm not normally one of those people

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Thanks for your kind words - in hindsight I know I'm overreacting.

I'm not normally one of those people, but in my defence: I have a sore throat, my temperature is going up, and I have a thumping headache. Corona cases are increasing rapidly in my area, and I'm a little edgy.
No worries donkey. I don't think anyone is calling your work, intentions, or credibility into question, just that it seems like only the one guy you talked to has said an electrochromatic roof. It is that guys information we are being skeptical of, and not you
Sponsored