ArthurDOB

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium AWD STD Range (Delivered 5/22/23)
Occupation
High School Teacher
Country flag
If you want proof of how much more ridiculously complicated and burdensome it is to take a long road trip with an EV than an ICE... look no further than all the videos proclaiming that it's no big deal.

You don't see ICE drivers posting videos on this topic, because no ICE driver ever even thinks about this stuff.
(and @mkhuffman and @Trick.Mach-E , too) It's only a burden if you choose to see it that way. To each their perspective. If you're in a hurry and "I just want to get there because I don't think road trips are fun" (my wife 🤣), then OK. If you welcome the break your butt and knees need from being seated for 10 hours straight in an ICE car (me), it's a positive boon! :D
Sponsored

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
sure, not now. They’ve literally been around for over 100 years, and the infrastructure has been there for most of that time too. But when ICE vehicles first came out, it was ABSOLUTELY a very big deal when someone made the first cross-country car trips, etc. If they had had YouTube (or videos) back then, there absolutely would have been a bunch, and a whole bunch of people talking about how it wasn’t feasible and how they’d just take their horses or train ride or steam ship, thank you very much.
I love thinking about the past. But now seems more... relevant.

BamaGene

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 M3P, 2017 M340i, 2017 Maxima
Occupation
RETIRED!
Country flag
If you want proof of how much more ridiculously complicated and burdensome it is to take a long road trip with an EV than an ICE... look no further than all the videos proclaiming that it's no big deal.

You don't see ICE drivers posting videos on this topic, because no ICE driver ever even thinks about this stuff.
Tesla M3P owner here, no problem with a 3,000 mile road trip to Wisconsin in the winter and Tampa Bay/Jax in the summer. Just went to Atlanta and back, Georgia SC mostly at $.20 per KWh but most SC are in the $.35-$.45 per range over here east of the Mississippi. You’ll be much happier when you can charge your Mach-E at Tesla SCs, just be patient. Most people won’t care about other makes butting in on our good deal, the ones who do will just have to get over it!

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
Road tripping an EV is really easy.

Step 1: Have nowhere to be and all the time in the world to get there.
Step 2: Have a dedicated gas powered tow vehicle with car trailer following you. Bonus points if the tow vehicle has a generator and can charge the EV while towing it so you can eventually let it back off of the trailer waiting for the next inop charger stranding event to load it back onto the trailer.

So long as you follow those 2 very simple steps, you'll have a completely uneventful trip.

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag
Do a lot of 300 mile plus road trips and numerous in excess of 400 miles without even ever thinking anxious thoughts of where to get a charge.

I’m at 78,000 miles since June 2021.

One day I drove a 925 mile on a 23 1/2 hour day trip and it wasn’t until a few days later I thought that I would only have done that in an EV because every c250 miles I got a 25mins Power Nap.

My way of driving ICE would never have seen me stopping for a quick nap to get me around in one go because I would just fill up & go again until I was fit to drop and needed to book a room😂

When out on a road trip I more often charge when I stop rather than stop to charge.

I think it’s all state of mind, in UK at least with such good charge station infrastructure.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag

So true.

Just because you can do something, doesn’t mean I would recommend it.

All these Mach E road trip posts are pretty much the same:

Scenario 1- bragging that they made it with either no or minor issues.

Scenario 2- issues

Best case scenario is something major didn’t go wrong……..but it still took significantly longer to get to your destination. 🤷‍♂️

Unfortunately I think the road trip posts may actually do more harm than good for the “EV cause.” It just reminds people of the weakness of the EV for road trips. So much planning and stress around charging. Who wants to add stress to a road trip?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do a lot of 300 mile plus road trips and numerous in excess of 400 miles without even ever thinking anxious thoughts of where to get a charge.

One day I drove a 925 mile on a 23 1/2 hour day trip and it wasn’t until a few days later I thought that I would only have done that in an EV because every c250 miles I got a 25mins Power Nap.

My way of driving ICE would never have seen me stopping for a quick nap to get me around in one go because I would just fill up & go again until I was fit to drop and needed to book a room😂

When out on a road trip I more often charge when I stop rather than stop to charge.

I think it’s all state of mind, in UK at least with such good charge station infrastructure.
925 miles in 23 1/2 hours??

Wouldn’t it have been nice to make that same trip in 13 hours in a gas car? No power naps needed!

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag

The public charging infrastructure in the U.S. is generally bad, but it varies by region. There are people who, like you, rarely if ever have a public charging issue.

In my area, it is getting worse every month. So little new capacity is coming on line, and so many new BEVs are getting sold. A year ago, public charging was much better. It was not equivalent to ICE refueling, but I didn't worry every time I had to stop. Now, I find it very stressful.

It is true a patient person with no schedule and no deadlines can handle it, except when the one station they planned to use is totally down. Which is rare.

But I am not a patient person, and I hate, hate to wait. I don't mind a 20 or even 30 minutes stop so much, but beyond that, it gets really, really frustrating. And it is very easy for a stop to be longer than 30 minutes when the EA station you are heading to only has four chargers.

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag
sure, not now. They’ve literally been around for over 100 years, and the infrastructure has been there for most of that time too. But when ICE vehicles first came out, it was ABSOLUTELY a very big deal when someone made the first cross-country car trips, etc. If they had had YouTube (or videos) back then, there absolutely would have been a bunch, and a whole bunch of people talking about how it wasn’t feasible and how they’d just take their horses or train ride or steam ship, thank you very much. And actually, there have been videos and books and documentaries about it, and one of my very favorite places on earth (The Henry Ford Museum/Greenfield Village in Dearborn MI) has multiple exhibits about early road trips and challenges faced doing them.

See, guys, this is what they mean when they talk about “those who don’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it.”
Except you are missing one of the key components of this whole thing. Going from an ICE vehicle to an EV is just changing how the car is powered, nothing more than a new type engine. If you can drive an ICE vehicle then you can drive an EV. Now, lets compare that to going from a horse, horse and buggy or a train, how many people do you think could operate those new fangled cars back then? Not a single one of them so, next time you want to make a comparison let's actually make an apples to apples look ok. You're welcome! :rolleyes:

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Some people have never road tripped and wouldn't dream of it. Others cross the country in the dead of winter with a trailer attached.

Same car. Different people.

It's not the car.
You are correct, it is not the car, it is the crappy charging network present now in the US.

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

All those videos do seem to be overcompensating by trying to dispel real problems with EV road trips and charging.

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag
The public charging infrastructure in the U.S. is generally bad, but it varies by region. There are people who, like you, rarely if ever have a public charging issue.

In my area, it is getting worse every month. So little new capacity is coming on line, and so many new BEVs are getting sold. A year ago, public charging was much better. It was not equivalent to ICE refueling, but I didn't worry every time I had to stop. Now, I find it very stressful.

It is true a patient person with no schedule and no deadlines can handle it, except when the one station they planned to use is totally down. Which is rare.

But I am not a patient person, and I hate, hate to wait. I don't mind a 20 or even 30 minutes stop so much, but beyond that, it gets really, really frustrating. And it is very easy for a stop to be longer than 30 minutes when the EA station you are heading to only has four chargers.
You have my sympathy. I’m not a patient person! I feel blessed with our charge station infrastructure here in UK, feels like it’s the only thing not broken here, and it appears if I were in the US I’d be back in an ICE car which is quite an admission for me because I am so sold on EV culture.

I hope things improve for you all over the pond very soon🤞

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag
925 miles in 23 1/2 hours??

Wouldn’t it have been nice to make that same trip in 13 hours in a gas car? No power naps needed!
Oh Christ, you again 😂

You’re entirely missing the point, do you always try to?

I wasn’t out for a joyride, had a day’s work to do, too, along the way.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Oh Christ, you again 😂

You’re entirely missing the point, do you always try to?

I wasn’t out for a joyride, had a day’s work to do, too, along the way.
No, I get the point, I just disagree with the premise.

You, and most people pushing the idea of road tripping in an EV, try to pitch the same idea-

That stopping for 40 minutes every couple hours is somehow a good thing.

Yes, I agree that it’s a state of mind. But it’s not a good thing.

In a gas car, you only stop for 40 minutes if you WANT to. In an EV you stop for 40 minutes because you HAVE to….. every time.

You can fill the time with bathroom breaks, crossword puzzles or cat naps. But you won’t be able to convince many people this is ideal.

You could have napped in your gas car, but you wouldn’t because you don’t have to.

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
So much planning and stress around charging. Who wants to add stress to a road trip?
I do. Stress is a good part of life. Think of the flatline type of life without stress... at the gym, at work, at play or just "living". Zzzzz.... Clams have no stress ;) Stress in non-catastrophic amounts makes us grow and become better people.
Sponsored