SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
My buddy with the Model X 75D just shared this with me (and gave me permission to share).

The Model X 75D official EPA range is 259 miles.
My friend charged to 85% with a distance to go of 152 miles from home; 85% of 259 miles is about 220 miles.

They arrived with 13 miles to spare.

Ford Mustang Mach-E You think you have range anxiety? messages_0 (11)
Sponsored

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
My buddy with the Model X 75D just shared this with me (and gave me permission to share).

My friend charged to 85% with a distance to go of 152 miles from home; 85% of 259 miles is about 220 miles.

Tesla doesn’t even bother guessing, it just straight up lies

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Tesla doesn’t even bother guessing, it just straight up lies
I do wonder if they turn on some special mode for the EPA testing.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Darnit, you just violated the "unpublished rule" that Tesla's are sunshine, lollypops and rainbows. I am going to report you.

Yes, all EV's are similar no matter what the folks say. Even reviews are published to keep the narrative going. Look at the EV Winter range survey/report based on GOM we saw a few weeks back. Ford and Chevy tell the truth. The others pad it. I watch many reviews/Videos looking at the real readings on the dash and GOMS and what they say and what is displayed are many times two different stories.

I love the Winter range tests that are performed at 40F. That's not winter and that will highlight marginal heat pump benefits. Do one at 0F, 5F or 10F and see what they all do. I will be doing that test this next winter for sure with the Ioniq 5, ID.4 and Mach E.

Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately, the masses do not freely share or speak about this publicly making many Mach E owners feel that their cars are so much worse.

I made it through a very Cold Maine Winter with no issues and no real anxiety. My absolute worst documented range was at -5F, not preheated and not preconditioned (as a test, leaving stone cold) for a 90 mile hilly trip and got 138 miles of Range with a ER AWD with snow tires and 3 adult passengers.

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
The EPA gives manufacturers a lot of flexibility with "the" EPA range test. There is a 5 cycle test (likely what Tesla uses), or a faster/less expensive/generally lower range-giving 2 cycle test (likely what everyone else uses). The manufacturers then can apply a correction factor to lower the rating. Since the 21 GT and the 21 Premium AWD ER got the same rated range, it looks like Ford is even using different correction factors for different trim levels.
Also note that the max tested EPA speed is still lower than most interstates, so it is really hard to meet the rated range on a highway run. That's before temperature effects, as noted above.

narmstrong79

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag

What Year model is this car and how many miles on it ?

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
2018 with 36,006 miles.
Wow, that range is not great.... I guess it is a little bit larger battery than a SR AWD Mach-E but it is much larger. That efficiency works out to what, 2.19 mi/kWh?

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Wow, that range is not great.... I guess it is a little bit larger battery than a SR AWD Mach-E but it is much larger. That efficiency works out to what, 2.19 mi/kWh?
They were climbing 3700 ft in elevation. And I don't know, but I believe they had five people in the car (the reason for the Model X). It wasn't miserably cold, but it was on the chilly side on the mountain (around 0C, 32 F).

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
We did the same drive with the Mustang (AWD, ER) just a day before. We had two people, not five. We charged to the same 85%, and made it home with 20% range.
0.85*312 = 265.2 - 62.4 = 202.8 estimated range.
202.8 - 150 = 52.8 miles remaining
I believe our stress-o-meter said we had about 65 miles remaining.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I suspect the battery in the tesla has been flogged and is down a bit in capacity. The MPGe is a few % better than the MME and is similar in size to a SR MME.

I'm a fan of the MME GOM... it is pessimistic which means I can actually go as far as it says. The Tesla GOM makes people feel better, but it over states remaining range especially in cold weather.

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
I suspect the battery in the tesla has been flogged and is down a bit in capacity. The MPGe is a few % better than the MME and is similar in size to a SR MME.

I'm a fan of the MME GOM... it is pessimistic which means I can actually go as far as it says. The Tesla GOM makes people feel better, but it over states remaining range especially in cold weather.
The published MPGe of the 2018 Model X 75D is 93 Combined.
The published MPGe of my 2022 Mustang CA Route 1 AWD ER is 98 Combined.

I highly doubt the battery life (capacity or internal resistance) has degraded any appreciable amount in the Tesla. These batteries are quite robust; I wouldn't expect any real degradation before about 150,000 to 200,000 miles. And even then I don't think any degradation will be recognizable with the noise of driving styles changing range/power delivery.

I don't mind the Mustang's stress-o-meter, but it's the only interface people have and from the number of posts on this site and others about range being way lower than expected, it's not doing Ford any favors.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
"Back in MY day!" LOL

When I had the Focus Electric (for reference 70 miles on a good day in the summer) I would frequently return home from my commute in the winter with my GOM reading <10 miles (and it was pretty accurate).

With the Mach-E range anxiety doesn't exist....stop fooling yourselves. (Or any modern EV that can go more than 100 miles.) ;) <- smiley added to denote "tongue placed firmly in cheek" for this post....

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
They were climbing 3700 ft in elevation. And I don't know, but I believe they had five people in the car (the reason for the Model X). It wasn't miserably cold, but it was on the chilly side on the mountain (around 0C, 32 F).
True, the extra weight would affect range. Perhaps I'm just used to hearing about range for the 100D model X online instead of the 75D. The range is still goo compared to my SR AWD Mach-E haha.

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
To be 100% clear: I was mostly talking about the fact that my buddy was facing <20 miles range when they got home...pucker factor was high. I didn't mean necessarily to claim one is better than the other in the Tesla vs Mustang wars.
Sponsored