Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
10 months on and I still can‘t find anyone who knows which fuse the Nextbase 522 dashcam plugs into😏 Ford don’t know, or aren’t telling the guys at my Ford dealer, who have been scratching their heads over this😏 Halfords still not touching the Mach-E they tell me.
Has anyone out there successfully installed one of these dashcams in a Mach-E by chance?
Fuses 3, 5, 13 have been tried but no power to these guys. Want to have a permanent power sources as to detect motion, etc.
Have the micro tap fuse lead, but the design of this makes it really tight to plug into a slot next to an existing fuse, which has been an additional frustration!
This post is specific to the UK, as specs are different elsewhere.
Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to help with this one👍
Sponsored

Jonno21

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD Long Range Space White
Country flag
I think it would be unwise to tap into a permanent live feed as there is a risk the 12 volt battery might discharge. I know the HV battery should compensate but there's no point in tempting fate. Also, think about the insurance company. Sometimes they want the policyholder to remove the camera from the mount and take it with them when not in the car as it's "tempting to thieves". I know, I know, what's the point in having one then. :rolleyes:

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
I fitted a Nextbase 622GW to my Mach-E and used the switched 12V supply on slot 15/16 on the fuse panel.

I know you wanted a perm 12V supply - but isn’t that the purpose of the internal battery in the Nextbase dashcam? That’s supposed to keep the cam running for the bump detection while parked - and then that recharges while you drive.

OP
OP

cgp777

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Many thanks to you all for your help and advice.
Tony, was a standard ‘ebay type’ micro3 tap used, do you happen to know? when we tried the micro2 into slots 5 or 13, it was a very tight fit, nudging the neighbouring fuse. Did you encounter any issue?
Good point about the battery, providing the required back up for the motion detection. your install is the one I’ll suggest to the guys at my Ford dealer. Thanks again👍😎

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
Many thanks to you all for your help and advice.
Tony, was a standard ‘ebay type’ micro3 tap used, do you happen to know? when we tried the micro2 into slots 5 or 13, it was a very tight fit, nudging the neighbouring fuse. Did you encounter any issue?
Good point about the battery, providing the required back up for the motion detection. your install is the one I’ll suggest to the guys at my Ford dealer. Thanks again👍😎
I bought the Nextbase wiring kit as part of an overall Nextbase package deal - and that wiring kit had 4 different tap types to choose from. One of them was a perfect fit but I can’t remember which one I ended up using 🤪

I’ll go check my fusebox tomorrow and take a pic.

No issues encountered during install thankfully, just took it steady and made sure I took care with the A pillar trim removal and reinstatement. Wiring carefully threaded and secured so not to cross over the top of an airbag deployment area. (using yellow cable ties on existing wiring looms)

I think it took me about an hour in the end.

That was 5 months ago now - all still good and no issues.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Dashcam DED888CA-BCC2-4D84-8777-C4BD76801EFA

Jonno21

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD Long Range Space White
Country flag
Very neat job and good idea with yellow cable ties as makes the additional wire obvious.👍👍

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
As promised heres the wiring in the fusebox…

Ford Mustang Mach-E Dashcam 3CBA394D-7867-453E-B791-5EAA770EC23F
Ford Mustang Mach-E Dashcam D5EC5151-6867-4414-A7D5-06413D2E3248
Ford Mustang Mach-E Dashcam 7C119352-EB86-439E-AABA-72C1CF98B9DC

OP
OP

cgp777

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks so much for taking the time to post the pics. Great stuff😁👍

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
I installed a dashcam on continuous 12 volt fuse. I did buy a battery with my dashcam to power the camera while I am in park mode and it does not deplete the car battery. I think the battery is good for a week plus.

The advantage of having the camera on is that it captures those parking lot bumps. If the camera is "asleep" the bump does trigger it but it takes time to turn on and capture the images after the bump.
Sponsored