Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Mustang Ecoboost, 2011 F250
Occupation
Trailer manufacturer
Country flag
My answer is YES! Although it seems I would be in the minority with my Yes, you really have to ask... What is Mustang?
I think I should give you my history with Mustangs. I have owned five over the years 1968 1/2 GT 428 Cobra Jet/ Top Loader
1979 Pace Car 2.3 Turbo
1987 GT Convertible 5.0/ 5 speed
2000 GT Convertible 4.6 Paxton SC
2018 Eco Boost / 10 speed /Premium
All Good Looking, Sporty, Fun to Drive!
All great vehicles.
The ‘18 is my wife’s car. It was a lot of work to talk her into it (she wanted a Tesla). She loves it, Save one thing, basically only a two passenger vehicle.
Time for a new vehicle.
Enter Mach E. Looks to be perfect?
Good Looking. Sporty. 5 passenger. Technology. Quick. AND... A Mustang!
Stay Tuned. Can’t wait to drive one!
Sponsored

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
I can understand why the purists think otherwise, because its a crossover 4 door. BUT.... if they didn't excite the masses with the Mustang name, it would just be a new car line and it would have gotten buried without much buzz as just another car on the market, and this one is from Ford. They needed to put a well know, trusted name on the car to build excitement. Elon Musk, as much as I detest him, said it best when he said that even bad press is good press. It creates buzz an gets people talking about the product. Any other name wouldn't have done that.

That said, using the name Mustang brings a certain expectation and I believe Ford understands that too. It will drive and feel like a Mustang, especially the GT.

Purists will be purists. I'm a long time VW guy. The classic Beetle purists are some of the more insufferable people on the planet when they belittle you because your 1963 happens to have a bulb from an Austrian, not a German plant that was only used in the second solstice when the moon was at a paragee.....

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Purists will be purists. I'm a long time VW guy. The classic Beetle purists are some of the more insufferable people on the planet when they belittle you because your 1963 happens to have a bulb from an Austrian, not a German plant that was only used in the second solstice when the moon was at a paragee.....
wait, was that when Jupiter was aligned with Mars?

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
So there's a guy in my neighborhood. I haven't had a chance to talk to him, because COVID. Anyway, he's a Mustang fanatic. He has three really awesome cars, I can't lie. He has a race prepped cobra circa 2015, a daily driver GT that sounds incredible and another white mustang that I can see in his garage but have never seen out. They're all nice, I'm sure they're all fast. I honestly can't wait until the Mach E GTs come out and I get a chance to introduce myself with it. I legitimately want to see his reaction (and then maybe race against one of his cars)

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Oh please no. Can we just not go there? We'll have 745 pages of arguments about the meaning of a trivial, off the cuff remark made by a third-tier executive in August 1965. :p

If Bill Ford says it's a Mustang, it's a Mustang.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
Oh please no. Can we just not go there? We'll have 745 pages of arguments about the meaning of a trivial, off the cuff remark made by a third-tier executive in August 1965. :p

If Bill Ford says it's a Mustang, it's a Mustang.
Mach, I mean mike, drop...

Mach_Enrique

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting; 2021 Mach E GT;2018 Subaru WRX STI
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
Is it really a Mustang? Yes
Is it really an SUV? No
Like someone says...if Ford says it is, it is.

I do think they made mistake focusing on the term SUV or Crossover...should have used more marketing pizazz and said it is a four-door "fastback" and left it at that. Could avoid a lot of shade if Ford did not use the term cross over or SUV imho (even though it really is one you don't have to SAY it).

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
It is absolutely correct that the Mach E is a mustang if the company that owns the trademark says its a mustang. I suggest that the argument is thus a misnomer; the argument should be whether it "deserves" the name mustang or not - that is what is debatable. Unfortunately that brings up the issue of what it "means" to "be a Mustang". To me the name implies a good looking, fun to drive, quick and nimble, medium sized car.

If it meets those fully personal criteria, then FOR ME it will have earned the name. It is inappropriate for my decisions on such matters to determine the correctness of other peoples criteria or conclusions.

Debates like this just lead to endless arguments in which no opinions change, and all that is left is name calling. We have enough of that in the world and on here already.
Sponsored