Does Park Assist actually work for people?

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
I finally read the manual and tried it out twice for perpendicular parking and got it to work. first time it went in an out of the space twice before success, the second try it pulled back out once, then succeeded.

Then I found a parallel parking space with a car behind it and a curb in front of it, with some trees and bushes, but no second car. The car tried but backed up onto the curb, so I stopped it. So I think it has to have two cars for it to work properly.
Well yeah. If on side has no car, you can park a hell of lot faster yourself since it's a trivial job.
Sponsored

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Well yeah. If on side has no car, you can park a hell of lot faster yourself since it's a trivial job.
It was not that simple, plus I was only trying out the functionality. There were only 2 parallel parking spaces in this area. A car was parked in one space with its rear wheels almost against a curb behind it. The open space in front of that car had a curb in front of it, no parking space in front of that space. The MME found the space and started to back up and turn, but went up onto the curb with the passenger rear wheel way before the parking space started. It was obviously not detecting the curb area in front of that parking space.

Jim D

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E - GT
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Sometimes, like in our driveway, it won't trigger. I did get it to trigger twice though. First time I stopped it when it looked like it was going to back into a curb. Second time it kept the button pressed thinking it would turn and it did hit the (thankfully low) curb.

Am I doing it wrong or is it really not consistent? Kind of scared to try it any more.
I don't use it as it has never worked reliably for me. I only use the key fob.

karioka

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Route 1
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Oh yeah. I forgot our car has that feature.

Never used it so I can't comment on effectiveness. I don't think I have the patience to let it try and park itself. Likely much quicker to just park the car myself and get on with things. However, don't know for certain because I never bothered to learn how it works. ??
I'm with you. Never bothered trying to use it. I do it myself.

AllenS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD in Star White
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
I'm horrible at parallel parking, so I might try it the next time I have to go into DC—which will probably be at least a few months away. But so far, given all the little quirks that the MME software has, I've been to afraid to test it out.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I played with it, but I don't really see myself using it. It seemed to work fairly well, although a bit slow, when I messed with it backing in. Did a pretty decent job as well with centering directly in the middle of the spot. I've not tried the parallel parking feature though. Its a neat trick if you want to show people in the car, it is pretty impressive.

I personally don't park next to other cars, ever.. Only time I might park next to one is if I have a curb to one side that I can hug against to give as much rooms possible for the person to park next to me. Otherwise I'm parking in the back someplace, drives my wife INSAINE!!! I did it for four years with my F150, won't be stopping anytime soon!!! lol

Hoovertac

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
08 Mustang Shelby, 20 Escape, 21 Mach E
Occupation
Crisis Intervention
Country flag
Sometimes, like in our driveway, it won't trigger. I did get it to trigger twice though. First time I stopped it when it looked like it was going to back into a curb. Second time it kept the button pressed thinking it would turn and it did hit the (thankfully low) curb.

Am I doing it wrong or is it really not consistent? Kind of scared to try it any more.
Takes some getting used to. Park assist can be difficult if you're on a busy street and traffic can make things anxious. Try a side street that isn't so busy.

Doug&Julie

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium LR-RWD
Occupation
Designer
Country flag
Add me to the list of "never used it, never wanted it, will never use it". Frankly, I would have been happy if Ford had omitted it and saved me a grand or so.

I will say, however, that I often turn on the cameras as I'm parking, just to help with getting me square into the spaces, etc. The cameras are something I didn't think I'd want, but now that I have them, I love them.

ToTheMoonDJ

First Name
Darnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium RWD EXTD - Rapid Red
Country flag
For me it triggered about 70% of the time. My biggest complaint and ultimately I stopped using it. It took too much time to get the sensor configured for the situation (perpendicular vs parallel, left side vs right side), slowly creep forward in hopes it detects the correct spot, then have it do a 10 point parking procedure. I’m typically able to sufficiently park in less time on my own.

Sureshot125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X Premium
Country flag
Oh yeah. I forgot our car has that feature.

Never used it so I can't comment on effectiveness. I don't think I have the patience to let it try and park itself. Likely much quicker to just park the car myself and get on with things. However, don't know for certain because I never bothered to learn how it works. ??
All I know is that I paid for it, and it doesn’t work at all for me. have tried numerous times. Nearly crashed into a car.

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Livewire prius prime Mach e. In 3 weeks if it was built yesterday
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The cameras and sensors great for me.
Sponsored