Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT
Occupation
Computer Programmer
Country flag
Hi All,
Firstly, by way of introduction - I picked up my GT last Monday. It spent the first few days being washed, machine polished and ceramic coated by me. It then sat in the garage for 2 further days, whilst that cured. Got to play with it over the weekend and am loving most things about it.
I came from a Range Rover Sport hybrid, so the refinement is not there and there's some features that I'm missing - but I'd reconciled that would be the case, prior to placing the order, so no tears.
Anyhow, onto the reason for the post - where can I find the 'range' of the car, within the app please? Surely this is top of the list of things to show the user!
Would also be nice to know if the car is currently charging, through the app - until I gain trust in the charge settings!
cheers
Deano
Sponsored

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
It should be right in the home screen of the app - at least for iPhone. It’s also on the vehicle tab or dedicated button that shows up on a blue banner on the bottom of the vehicle tab details when it’s charging.

Also, please note that if this is your first EV and you live in a cold climate the winter range will be much lower than The stated summer range due to temp effects on battery chemical reactions. This is ok and normal! The estimated range greatly underestimated range in cold weather, so just go by charge level and keep it filled up and you won’t have any issues!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Pass App - Range? C860C490-3F48-4FC5-B315-814F90E9AC25

OP
OP
Muffin-GT

Muffin-GT

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT
Occupation
Computer Programmer
Country flag
Hi Tanner,
Thanks for your reply. My display is very different:-
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Pass App - Range? Screenshot_FordPass

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Before you learn where the "range" is you should know that it is an estimate of how far you'll be able to go, and right now it will be reporting less range than you expect because it is cold and tends to overcompensate the effect of that cold on range. FYI the range display is called the "guess-o-meter"
  1. Because the car doesn't know how far, how fast, in what conditions, etc it cannot be exact unless you actually put in a route right then - and even that is an approximation based on modeling. Thus the GOM is intentionally conservative as a "worst case" scenario to prevent people from getting stranded because the GOM said they can go farther than they actually can. It tends to be more conservative for this very reason; Ford has been underpromising and overdelivering on the Mach E. While that confounds newbies, doing a little research results in recognizing the issue and not being alarmed by it. By contrast Tesla overestimates their range on their GOM in all conditions; see plenty of actual "real world" driving tests by insideevs, alexonautos, edmunds, etc.
  2. Internal combustion engines (ICE) are only 30% to 40% efficient, with the majority of energy being lost as heat. In winter that is an advantage because the heat that would otherwise be wasted is used to heat the cabin. BEV's are by contrast 95% efficient with minimal energy lost as heat. In the winter the car has to use extra energy to heat the cabin. That is why they tell you to use the seat and steering wheel heaters instead of heating the cabin if you can, because there is a lot less to heat up. The chemistry of Li-ion batteries is to blame as well: the liquid electrolyte loses viscosity (and thus potency) as temps drop well below freezing. At 30 to 40 degrees F it is minimal, but once you get down to around zero or below it becomes an issue. The 2 factors (no waste heat and chemistry) combine for some loss (10% to 20%) in range once it gets down to freezing or below. Therefore in really cold (-30 degree) temps like in Alaska the car's actual range does drop by 40% to 50%. In more reasonable climates (20 degree temps) effective range drops by 20% to 30%.
  3. EVERY BEV experiences this issue right now; it is not unique to Ford. That is one of the reasons they are all investing so heavily in solid state batteries: "dry" batteries do not experience the issue with the electrolyte in cold weather.
There is also a very lengthy discussion on the displayed range here: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ulate-how-far-your-mach-e-can-really-go.6104/

StrWhtMME

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Electric Focus. 21 MME Prm SR, 23 Maverick
Country flag
Charged our STD range RWD MME to 100% for the first time last night (Delv 3/21). Normal charge setting is 80%. Very pleased with range for our type of driving. Still have our Electric Focus (76 mi) range and a few other vehicles (F-150, Toyota 4 Runner). Not exceptionally cold here in Georgia (30’s). Can’t complain about 273 miles for a 230 range vehicle.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Pass App - Range? 19C8D341-8114-4646-A167-D5D176FC47C7

OP
OP
Muffin-GT

Muffin-GT

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT
Occupation
Computer Programmer
Country flag
Hi All,
I have uninstalled and re-installed the app and am now seeing the range and %charge!
Thanks all for your help.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Charged our STD range RWD MME to 100% for the first time last night (Delv 3/21). Normal charge setting is 80%. Very pleased with range for our type of driving. Still have our Electric Focus (76 mi) range and a few other vehicles (F-150, Toyota 4 Runner). Not exceptionally cold here in Georgia (30’s). Can’t complain about 273 miles for a 230 range vehicle.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Pass App - Range? Screenshot_FordPass1
That 273 mile number is a fantasy and not accurate - particularly in 30 degree temps. PLEASE read the link about the guess-o-meter above

StrWhtMME

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Electric Focus. 21 MME Prm SR, 23 Maverick
Country flag
Yes, quite aware of loss of range with lower temperatures. The point is the car is rated for 230 miles, and has the capability of much more. It does compute the range on previous driving history. Like I said, for our current driving habits the range is greater than advertised.
Sponsored