mav204

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach e
Country flag
I am looking at buying a generic charger, many options out there, what's the ones to stay away from and ones to buy. We are going to lease the Mach E we are getting in January, My in-laws are getting an Lucid, so want to be able to charge both cars
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Each car comes with its own charger that is built into the vehicle. So all you need is a device to provide power so the car can charge itself. Any J1772 device will work. If you have available 60A circuit then the ChargePoint Home Flex is a good choice. You should check with your utility company as they sometimes offer big discounts on EVSE (Electric Vehicle Service Equipment).

ebeponyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I am looking at buying a generic charger, many options out there, what's the ones to stay away from and ones to buy. We are going to lease the Mach E we are getting in January, My in-laws are getting an Lucid, so want to be able to charge both cars
This question has a complicated answer, unfortunately. Too complicated for a universal recommendation. Charging speed is going to depend on your electrical panel, utility rates, and driving habits, installation location is going to depend on your parking arrangement, and specific EVSE recommendations are going to depend on current sale prices, possible incentives from your electrical utility and all of the above, really.

That said, a permanently installed L2 charger is generally the way to go (you can keep the Ford Mobile Charger with the car in case of emergency) and there are a number of reputable OEMs out there that provide a variety of products that support different speeds and installation situations. ChargePoint, Emporia, Grizzl-E and Juicebox will give you a decent lay of the land, but the important part is to buy a certified and well-supported piece of equipment from a real brand, not just what's cheapest on Amazon. It's up to you if you want to coordinate a charging schedule with your in-laws on a single charger (cheapest, least convenient), install two separate chargers (expensive, but convenient and supports a broader variety of parking arrangements), or get a dual charger (more affordable than two chargers, but must be centrally located) like those from ClipperCreek or Grizzl-E so you can both plug cars in on a single circuit.

You're going to have to math out some numbers yourself to understand your total energy demand as well as how to charge within your off-peak rate window (if applicable), and you'll need quotes from licensed electricians to understand the limitations and costs associated with your electrical situation.

EasyPass

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium 4X, 2017 Fusion Energi PHEV
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My MME was a year old in Aug'22. I have used the vehicle-included Ford Mobile Charger (EVSE) the entire time without issue. I only spent additional funds to install a 220v NEMA 14-50 socket in my garage to supply power to the EVSE Mobile Charger. I could not justify any additional expense for other equipment that would only marginally be able to charge at a faster rate in a mostly overnight charging scenario. Having an otherwise WiFi enabled EVSE (which the Ford Mobile unit is not) from a 3rd party costing many hundreds of bucks beyond the included facilities seemed like overkill to me as the vehicle itself and included mobile app provide many remote monitoring, control, and scheduling capabilities on its own.

The second vehicle adds an additional wrinkle to usage, but the equipment mentioned above would certainly be able to accommodate the Lucid as well as long as there was no overlap in required charging windows. Simultaneous charging of both vehicles, however, would need additional resources, investment, and perhaps equipment.

Last edited:

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I think the most important thing is safety, especially if you are looking at a “generic” unit. Please make sure that whichever EVSE you choose has a safety approval from a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL), such as UL or TÜV. 😊🐩

louc757

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat, 23 MME GTPE Rapid Red Nite Pony
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
This thread had a lot of good info that helped me decide. There is a lot of good information and people‘s experiences with different EVSEs.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/48a-l2-charger-comparison.21757/

I ultimately went with the Emporia charger. They are on sale now for $399. it was easy to install, and easy to configure in the app. My MME hasn’t been delivered yet (in Kansas City heading my way), so I can’t give you any feedback on the charging capabilities, but it looks good in my garage!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Home charger recommendations? 4FD79546-62A9-4DE3-A174-9AB71F3B1C92

Ford Mustang Mach-E Home charger recommendations? 6B0F10FC-3731-4EC6-B64C-CD0215140D3C

jchen14

First Name
Jacky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
The recommendations in this forum are generally Grizzly-E, juicebox, emporia and ChargePoint.
You should definitely check with your electric utility company to see if they have any rebates.
My supplier is giving me 75% of what I paid - I just bought a Enel X juice box 40 on Amazon to plug into my NEMA 14-50 outlet.
You should also take into consideration how your outlet situation.
E.g. do you want hardwired vs. plug in. How many amps does your outlet put out?
Sponsored