John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
83 Mustang GLX, 21 Mach-e FE, 22 Lighting Lariat
Occupation
Accountant
Country flag
My salesman called yesterday afternoon and told me that their service car came in, and if I wanted to test drive it I could come down. It was Thursday so the dealer is open later and I jumped at the offer.

After I hung up, I tried to go back to work but couldn't so I left early (sorry boss).

By the time I got home, picked up my wife, and got to the dealership it was 6 p.m., glad I left early.

The car was Rapid Red Extended Range AWD - same as my original order from January 2020.
My Grabber Blue FE is in VOLTZ waiting on a train.

I turned out of the lot and toward I-94, got caught at every light because of traffic, this is the first time I have driven an EV so I was underwhelmed about the regenerative breaking, but the breaks were very touchy.

Getting onto I-94 west I noticed that my mirror was pointed a little low for me, looking over my shoulder, cars were everywhere; I was able to merge but not zippy like. Glancing down I saw the mirror adjustments are just like my MKS so driving I adjusted the mirror, well I thought I was - But, I can tell you that you can have your mirrors fold in at highway speeds…

In a half mile was a Rest Stop so I pulled in got the mirror adjusted and played a little with the setup, selected Engage and my wife selected everything else.

Back onto the highway, this time zippy like.

Took the first exit because I didn't want to encroach on @BadgerGreg territory. Here I could feel the regenerative breaking, I thought, I need to get used to this. Headed back east on I-94. Merging zippy again but limited to 75 - 80 because of traffic. So, I decided to test the lane centering and

Wife: keep your hands on the wheel​
Me: but the car has lane centering and in 6 months…​
Wife: I don't care keep your hands on the wheel​

So, I stealthy tested the lane centering, IMHO it passed

Next to the I-275 interchange, entered the cloverleaf as normal and exited much faster; the MME grips the road and with the low center of gravity…

Merging onto I-275 I was stuck at 50 and boxed in, wanted to jump out an open her up but I couldn't - good thing too, just around the curve there was a State trooper; saved by traffic.

First exit, Ecorse Rd, heading back to the dealer but Ecorse was congested too. I didn't want to turn on Belleville to take the car back so I stayed on Ecorse because turns into a rural divided highway. But traffic just split taking both lanes and there was nothing to do but follow.

I switched to Wisper mode and the regenerative breaking was weaker so I switched the regenerative breaking on and got the same regenerative response as Engage. Then my wife said, what did you do, the ambient lighting changed color - so I switched back to Engage.

Resolved to just return to the dealer with a lackluster drive I thought of where to turn around and I remembered there is a roundabout (traffic circle) over by where Ford held it's MME press day a few months ago. Perfect! Sorry @BadgerGreg I'm coming into Washtenaw County.

The roundabout was deserted; I did three quick, quicker and quickest rounds with the wife saying you're getting too close to the curb.

Out of the roundabout headed back to the dealer, turn right on the Michigan Ave bypass and nothing /no one / deserted, okay 0 to 80 in no time, wife says the police sit just over the next rise; Oh yeah, foot off the accelerator thinking about breaking and - regenerative breaking - Engage mode…VERY Nice, I like this.

Down the road and back onto Ecorse going 55, right after I pass an empty speed-trap I stomp on the accelerator and 55 - 90 in a flash, wife says there is a curve up here - plenty of room but I know that before the curve the next speed trap can catch me (line of sight), regenerative breaking again, I'm getting the hang of this.

Down a couple of back roads around Willow Run airport and by the time I got to the light by the dealer I have the MME come to a complete stop without using the breaks.

Into the dealer lot, one last highlight, backing into the parking spot, I like the 360 view provided by the cameras

JWW test drive recommendations
  • Do not test drive during rush hour
  • Know where the speed traps are (or have your badge/donut ready @GoGoGadgetMachE )
  • Find a roundabout and go round and round and round again (or at least a clover leaf interchange)
  • Tweak your mirrors and other settings prior to leaving the dealer (you will probably impress the salesperson with your knowledge of how to setup, just start with the car icon in the upper left)
  • Have fun
  • Passengers optional
Stats (temp ~15 F)
  • Beginning 100% SOC, 210 range, mileage 28
  • Ending 80% SOC, 140 range, mileage 58
Sponsored