Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The KONNWEI KW710 BATTERY TESTER arrived this evening. I scanned the manual, connected the cable, and tested the new Mach E - BHAGM-H3 12V LVB. The KW710 is powered entirely by the battery under test, there are no batteries to install in the meter.

It all took a few minutes. Tested in the lab, at about 72F.

According to the KW710, I was at 100% SOH (soc?), the internal battery resistance is 5.11 milliohms, and the open circuit voltage was 13.01V.

I told the KW710 that the BHAGM-H3 12V CCA is 380, and the KW710 says my actual CCA is 473A.

Time allowing, I will change out my MME LVB with this new LVB, and repeat the test on the bench with the KW710.

KONNWEI KW710 Car Battery Tester 6V 12V 24V, Battery Load Tester Automotive 100-2000CCA Digital Auto Battery Analyzer Alternator Starter Tester for Car Truck Motorcycle Marine ATV SUV
Ford Mustang Mach-E KONNWEI KW710 BATTERY TESTER AND THE Mach E - BHAGM-H3 12V LVB Unknown
Sponsored

Last edited:

EVmodeler

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD ER IB Job 1
Occupation
Engr Prof emeritus
Country flag
The KONNWEI KW710 BATTERY TESTER arrived this evening. I scanned the manual, connected the cable, and tested the new Mach E - BHAGM-H3 12V LVB. The KW710 is powered entirely by the battery under test, there are no batteries to install in the meter.

It all took a few minutes.

According to the KW710, I was at 100% SOH (soc?), the internal battery resistance is 5.11 milliohms, and the open circuit voltage was 13.01V.

I told the KW710 that the BHAGM-H3 12V CCA is 380, and the KW710 says my actual CCA is 473A.

Time allowing, I will change out my MME LVB with this new LVB, and repeat the test on the bench with the KW710.
Ford Mustang Mach-E KONNWEI KW710 BATTERY TESTER AND THE Mach E - BHAGM-H3 12V LVB Unknown
SOH is state of health- not sure what definition that meter uses for SOH.

is the CCA reported corrected for “cold”, or is it at the present battery temp? That may be why it says 473 A.

EVmodeler

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD ER IB Job 1
Occupation
Engr Prof emeritus
Country flag

is the CCA reported corrected for “cold”, or is it at the present battery temp? That may be why it says 473 A.
And SoH is mostly age, but it’s not SOC.

EVmodeler

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD ER IB Job 1
Occupation
Engr Prof emeritus
Country flag
after you get a baseline on your old battery, put it in the freezer for a day and retest. Internal resistance should go up and CCA down. I don’t know what it will say for SOH?

OP
OP

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
after you get a baseline on your old battery, put it in the freezer for a day and retest. Internal resistance should go up and CCA down. I don’t know what it will say for SOH?
Freezer is packed, but soon (upstate NY), I could just leave it outside for a few hours.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag

SoH is usually = Measured CA/CCA rating

I don't think the reading is temp compensated at all, so yes you'd have to test it at 0ÂşF for real CCA. I have noticed that warm batteries test higher CA. These testers aren't exact, but they do give you a quick glimpse of battery health.

JimmyMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Using obd2 dongle you can first check in CarScanner app what MME tells about the LVB installed in the car: SOC, voltage, standby drain, last reset (days).

After replacing LVB the car probably needs a day or two to get reliable SOC reading on the new battery.

OP
OP

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
CCA "cold cranking amps" - 0 degrees F makes sense! Agree, the KW710 is probably not that accurate, but possibly easy to use if it can give repeatable information. Unfortunately, probably most meaningful with the battery out of the MME, or disconnected. Not sure how useful readings from the jump points would be (TBD).

OBD2 information is good too, especially where information could be collected from a number of MME.

This effort is as good as taking a community college course in AGM batteries.

Took another reading this morning of the new battery, at least the measurements seem to be repeatable:
Sponsored

Last edited: