Missing Apps/Updates

willsizemore

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium Long Range
When I purchased my Mach E back in February, I couldn't add the car in FordPass as the car wasn't communicating with Ford. The dealer had to manually apply some updates in the service area and the car started to response afterwards. Since then, I've noticed that I'm missing certain things that were provided via OTAs in the past - specifically I don't have the "Charge Assist" or "Public Charging" app at all. I'm thinking that since the car wasn't communicating with Ford prior to those manual updates - I missed some updates that included some missing apps and possibly some missing functionality (my Plug and Charge has never worked - so possibly related).

I've found it impossible to get Ford to address the problem. The OTA group just repeats "There are no available updates for your car, and we cannot force updates". The BEV team agrees that the "Charge Assist" app is missing, and that is is installed with an OTA - but they also cannot force the OTA update to get the software installed.

I'm escalating with Ford engineering - but that doesn't appear to be going anywhere. I'm curious is anyone else is missing the "Charge Assist" or "Public Charging" apps - or any other apps that you have noticed that other folks have that are missing.

I'm also curious is anyone has had any luck getting in touch with someone at Ford that has actually resolved an issue - not just passed you between different groups.
Sponsored

SmokesLetsGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023.5 Premium ER RWD Star White
Iā€™m also missing Charge Assist / Public Charging, and Plug&Charge isnā€™t working at Tesla Superchargers, so it seems Iā€™m missing that too. Iā€™m not sure exactly how Iā€™m going to proceed. I took delivery on 4/9 and Iā€™ve only gotten one update since then, even though it seems Iā€™m pretty behind.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
When I purchased my Mach E back in February, I couldn't add the car in FordPass as the car wasn't communicating with Ford. The dealer had to manually apply some updates in the service area and the car started to response afterwards. Since then, I've noticed that I'm missing certain things that were provided via OTAs in the past - specifically I don't have the "Charge Assist" or "Public Charging" app at all. I'm thinking that since the car wasn't communicating with Ford prior to those manual updates - I missed some updates that included some missing apps and possibly some missing functionality (my Plug and Charge has never worked - so possibly related).

I've found it impossible to get Ford to address the problem. The OTA group just repeats "There are no available updates for your car, and we cannot force updates". The BEV team agrees that the "Charge Assist" app is missing, and that is is installed with an OTA - but they also cannot force the OTA update to get the software installed.

I'm escalating with Ford engineering - but that doesn't appear to be going anywhere. I'm curious is anyone else is missing the "Charge Assist" or "Public Charging" apps - or any other apps that you have noticed that other folks have that are missing.

I'm also curious is anyone has had any luck getting in touch with someone at Ford that has actually resolved an issue - not just passed you between different groups.
Probably the reason you are consistently getting this news you don't want to hear is because it is true. It is great that the dealer was able to fix the communication problem. Neither Ford nor your dealer can force the updates you want installed.

Lots of people don't have Charge Assist/Public Charging yet.

However you think Ford's OTAs work, you seem to be mistaken. You might start by reading up on Ford's OTA system:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/a-guide-to-understanding-ota-updates.13111/

What you really need right now is patience.

lesz

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e GT PE
Occupation
retired
Country flag

as far as someone at Ford actually resolving an issue with the OTA process, here is what happened to me:
In Aug of last year I purchased a ā€˜22 GTPE that was assembled in September ā€˜22. Needless to say the car was behind on updates. The one update I really wanted was the enhancement allowing the volume knob to also control HVAC temperature, fan speed, etc. When I contacted Ford customer support, and the BEV team, they told me it looked like I was ā€œmissing updatesā€œ. The recommendation was that I take the car to my Ford dealer. I did, and the dealership was able to ā€˜forceā€™ the update I wanted (in addition to addressing some software recalls). It cost me $200+ because, as the dealer explained, Ford does not reimburse the dealership for software updates.
- I love my Mach-e
- However, the OTA update experience has been very disappointing. I understand that updates can be VIN specific, but Ford should be able to tell an owner which updates they are due, and when they are scheduled to be delivered. Just as I can go to ā€˜my accountā€™ on ford.com and see whether I have any recalls or CSPā€˜s specific to my VIN, I should be able to see the status of my OTA updates.
- Also, Iā€™ve been told on more than one occasion that one of my issues has been ā€˜escalatedā€™. I have yet to hear back from Ford on any escalated issue.

Obviously, just one ownerā€™s experience.

OP
OP

willsizemore

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium Long Range
I get the idea that regular updates are done at Ford's discretion - but what I find most interesting is that this particular issue seems to be related to the issue when I first got the car. It wasn't receiving normal updates for a long period of time - so there was a service issue. The dealer services folks resolved that issue by working with the FordPass folks to apply whatever updates they needed to do. So any 'missing' updates from the past would seem to be related to it not getting updates for months. This isn't an issue of me just "wanting" updates - there was a service issue that prevented the car from getting updates, so I'm asking that the missed updates be applied. But there is just no way for Ford to do that - at least a way they are willing to do.

My "escalation" resulted in the expected "Your car is up to date and we have no way to push updates."

I wonder if something like a class action lawsuit may be needed in the future. I've seen some folks here that have had their cars for years and are missing functionality like battery preconditioning. Imagine if Apple released some new feature on the iPhone and some people didn't get it. There would be mass hysteria. But for a $60k car, we seem to be OK with it.

DRCal68

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Premium 4X Ext, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
retired
Country flag
We took delivery of our 2023 (Sept build) in late January 2024. It did not have the 'Charge Assist/Public Charging' app and it still does not. We did get four OTA updates from 2/22 to 3/13/2024 including (I think) the Tesla update.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I wonder if something like a class action lawsuit may be needed in the future.
Good luck with that.

Might I suggest you read the thread @ChasingCoral linked a few posts back while youā€™re waiting for Fordā€™s motion for summary judgement to be decided in Fordā€™s favor. You might learn something.

Pigweed

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GTPE, 2015 Silverado, ā€˜09 Kawasaki ZX6
Occupation
Software
Country flag

When I bought my 2022 last September (it had been at a dealer lot in Michigan for a year and never sold) it also was not communicating with Ford. That was quickly fixed and since I've received dozens of updates up to 6.14, which I just received yesterday, but still no Charge Assist or Public Charging app.

This seems like a somewhat common issue.

I guess I'll just keep waiting too. šŸ¤”
Sponsored