Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
There are lots of reviews from very knowledgeable experts that the film is riddled with errors and unnecessarily old data. It could have been good with inclusion of proper scientific/technical advice but apparently Moore did the whole thing in secret and didn't even let the distributors review it until release. The problem with a film like this is if you cut corners and slip on your fact checking, you end up with obvious errors. Once folks see a few errors, they discredit the whole film, realizing it's not worth the effort to fact check the whole film or worry about what is true and what is not. Simply put, Moore blew it.

OP
OP
pbojanoski

pbojanoski

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Country flag
There are lots of reviews from very knowledgeable experts that the film is riddled with errors and unnecessarily old data. It could have been good with inclusion of proper scientific/technical advice but apparently Moore did the whole thing in secret and didn't even let the distributors review it until release. The problem with a film like this is if you cut corners and slip on your fact checking, you end up with obvious errors. Once folks see a few errors, they discredit the whole film, realizing it's not worth the effort to fact check the whole film or worry about what is true and what is not. Simply put, Moore blew it.
I think this documentary is a microcosm of our media driven society in general, that is what stuck out about it for me. There are too many people on all side that do exactly what you say. They provide selected facts and selected information in order to support a narrative. I think in many, probably most, cases they know they aren't giving the whole truth, but the "ends justify the means" so we get what we get.

I think Micheal Moore is a talented guy and could be a positive voice for real and incremental change if he wanted to, but took a path that left him on the fringe for most people. His chosen path was very good for his career, but I wonder if he could have had a better impact on society if he made some other choices. We'll never know and it's probably pointless to think about any more.

Thanks for chiming in.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yes, I agree. Certainly there is a fine line between limiting the list of facts to those needed for the narrative (movie making is all about a successful narrative), and cherry picking. As I understand the problem in his film is that the information he chose to use for his narrative included numerous out-and-out errors as well as facts that were true several years ago but are clearly outdated. Both of these will alienate audiences who no longer see the film as credible. There are lots of films I will watch that I don't necessarily agree with, but if they have their facts right I will understand where they are coming from. When the first reviews I hear are that it's full of factual errors, I won't waste my time. That's why I haven't bothered to watch this one yet and may not. There are too many well-made documentaries out there I'd rather spend my time watching.
Sponsored